mcarterbrown.com  

Bacon and other Good Eats Cooking, recipes, how-tos, etc

Old 04-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mrs. Harbinger the void

A huge favorite cheat of mine that works well with less spicy chilli is premade broth as a base. My favorite is a high cologen broth from ribs or other bony cuts. When making volume foods, I'm forced to cook my ribs with a sweet dry rub then foil wrap and 2.5 hours at 300ish. Longer for spares. Then cut the foil and drain the broth into a bowl for future use or use as the base for my bbq sauce. Let it cool till the fat is solid, then pop it off, put the broth in a bag and freeze till needed. There is usually about a cup or so per rack that comes off. More of a broth concentrate.

This technique gives an extra dimension of flavor and mouth feel that can't be touched. I keep multiple bags with 2 -3 cups each in my freezer then pick the best one as my soup base. Bone broth for burgoo, ribs for chilli, chicken or roast for gumbo. The only other liquid I add is beer and tomato sauce for my chilli.
spece108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
So I stuck to a variation on my mom's chili, 2 big cans tomato sauce, 1 small can diced tomatoes, 1 small can beans, 2 lbs ground meat, season to taste. I went with half ground beef, half pork, and a pound of bacon, added a diced onion, some diced bell peppers, some carefully deseeded jalapeños, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and a few other personal touches. Gave everything a dusting of chili powder as they were cooked, then added more to the pot until just right. Usually I add habenaros and cerano peppers, but skipped them this time to keep it mild.

Lots of non-tradional stuff in the other entries. Celery, corn, a few white chilis, and others. Waiting for judging to finish so I can try the others

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Trilogy Apologist

I like Hormel's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
So I didn't win,of course. The runner up was a white chili. It's pretty good, but seems like a riceless jumbalia, it had sliced smoked sausage in it. The winner had chickpeas in it. Seriously, fricken chickpeas.

I think I went too easy on the chili powder, or maybe should have gone heavier on some of the not hot spices. Oh well, still had fun.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

Just saw this now, so it won't help much, but consider grinding your own meat. You can control fat content, texture and if you own a decent food processor it can be cheaper than the mass produced junk you get in the grocery store. I started doing this last year and haven't considered buying store ground meat since. It really makes a noticeable difference.
Dave Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Mrs. Harbinger the void

For competitions in the future, I always recommend making as much of the dish as possible the night before and simmer for 1 to 2 hours then chill overnight. Then the day of skim off the fat, reheat, lightly respice (this is where cumin shines), and add some fresh aromatics. Gives a great leg up on the flavor. Definitely proves the "it's better the next day" adage.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
My chili has won alot of competition. I cook a sausage chili. I entered in vegetarian class once and cooked my sausages whole in the chili like usual and then pulled them out so my meatless chili still had the flavor of sausage lol. Took first place haha

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Mrs. Harbinger the void

Ballsy! But a quick way to add a depth of flavor. If I was going pure veg, I think I would slowly caramelize a fair amount of onions then deglaze with red wine. Reduce that until very thick. Never let the heat get high enough to scorch the starch. Add some water then let it reduce all day like a mole. Add that to your sautéed aromatics before adding tomato sauce. Then go from there
Old 04-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

What is vegetarian chili really besides a really chunky tomato sauce with added spices

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
When I started doing shells for my revolvers the apparent thing i noticed was the hole size in the cartridge controlled the velocity of my paint.
TL;DR hole size controls how fast balls get spent
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL17E 76 View Post
What is vegetarian chili really besides a really chunky tomato sauce with added spices
One of the entries could have been a vegetarian entry with much alteration. It had more beans than meat.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Bacon and other Good Eats