|Bacon and other Good Eats Cooking, recipes, how-tos, etc|
| ||Thread Tools|
|06-05-2017, 04:04 PM||#21 (permalink)|
Here's my "go-to" chili recipe. The secret is the canned chipotle peppers and adobo sauce. They bring a great smoky flavor, a bit of heat, but the brown sugar balances it out nicely. Occasionally, if it thickens up too much, I'll add a cup of very strong black coffee or beer (a middle-of-the-road lager like Yeungling works best).
Sweet Bacon Chili:
- 2 lb. ground beef (chuck is best, something around 75-85% lean)
- 1/2 lb. thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/4" strips
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 - 28 oz. cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 - 28 oz. can kidney beans (dark or light, doesn't really matter), undrained
- 1/2 of a 7 oz. can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (chopped fine)
- 2 tablespoons dark chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 6-8 leftover crunchy taco shells or 1 cup of crushed tortilla chips (this is a great way to use them up after they go stale!)
Heat a large dutch oven (5-7 quarts) over medium-high heat. Cook bacon until just starting to crisp. Add ground beef and cook until mostly browned. Add onion & garlic, cook until onions are slightly translucent. Add the spices and stir well. Add tomatoes and beans, then brown sugar. Turn heat down to low and simmer, covered, for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. There should be quite a bit of liquid (from the tomatoes and beans); if not, add a bit of chicken or beef stock (or beer). Crush/crumble the taco shells and mix them in, cook (again, covered) for about 30 minutes. Serve with toppings of your choice (shredded cheddar, sour cream and sliced green onion are good).
Porch Monkey 4 Life!
s'ok...I'm takin' it back...
My Feedback Thread
|06-05-2017, 04:08 PM||#22 (permalink)|
Moderating in Moderation
This man knows his ****.
We don't have fueled by wycke shirts for nothin' ya know.......
Its all peaches & sunshine baby, peaches & sunshine..
Obsequious, purple, and clairvoyant
One of the two proud members left - D FLT
Politically, Socially and Aerodynamically Incorrect
Everything I have ever loved is immoral or illegal
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.
stewart potter common sense, elephant and duck tests
Force this into a gaussian distributed parabolic curve!
|06-30-2017, 11:18 PM||#24 (permalink)|
Join Date: Oct 2008
good thing you woke this thread up after a year of inactivity.
DON'T CALL IT A COME BACK, I'VE BEEN HERE FOR YEARS.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.
Visit my Etsy store: