mcarterbrown.com  

Bacon and other Good Eats Cooking, recipes, how-tos, etc

Old 04-06-2016, 11:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Tips for a good mild chili

So the local fire department is having their annual chili cook off fundraiser. I thought it would be fun to enter.

A bit of a snag, my usual chili that my family, friends, and co-workers rave about tends towards medium or hot on the spicy scale (and occasionally face melting if I hear too many "that's pretty darn good, but I've had hotter" from a group). Well they have plenty of people entering hot and medium chili, and need more people to enter mild.

So any good tips and tricks for a very flavorful but not too spicy chili?

And this of course will be a "midwest style" chili, so you "Texas Style" purists keep your opinions in check.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mag-icidal Maniac

The biggest suggestion I can make, if you're not already doing it, is to make your own chili powder. That way you can control the heat while still getting full flavor, and without drowning it out with the salt that most purchased chili powders are full of.

My favorite mix for mild is equal parts Ancho and New Mexico chilies, cumin, Mexican oregano, and garlic powder.

Don't **** with Arsenal....that dudes ****ing crazy.
Arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Skeet Surfer!

Brass and Wood Fan
What's the difference between Midwest and Texas?

When I make mine, I start by caramelizing a diced medium onion and set it aside, then brown about a pound of ground beef, add the onion back in and then adding Rotel Chili Ready diced tomatoes, a small can of tomato sauce, a small can of tomato paste, and a little water depending on how it gets. Then I add my heavy spices, chili powder, chipotle powder, cumin, and salt and pepper, all to taste until you hit the heat you want. I usually add a bit of chili powder to the beef as it is browning too. I sometimes add an extra can of petite diced tomatoes depending on how it is looking, and then a regular can of beans. I can't remember what I use for those right off, but it is a "chili ready" red bean, maybe a kidney bean? Your choice though.

It's not overly creative, but it is always tasty and I get lots of compliments.

Ganon's Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes View Post
Welcome back buddy! And GanonsGrin is your brother? He is the devil
GanonsGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
I don't know if it is a particular "style" but chocolate goes good in Chili. I have heard that mixing chili peppers and cacao goes way back to the Mayans.
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

By "Midwest" I suppose you mean it has beans and more than likely some type of frickin pasta in it?
So I won't touch on ingredients per se more on the flavor adders and chiles
Bacon or pork belly
Smoked paprika
Cumin
Coriander
Garlic pre roasted
Fresh green jalapeņos (as a topping if allowed)
Anchos
For "taste" and a touch of "bite"

A mix of the below depending on how "mild" and smoky it needs or you want it to be
Anaheim or Cali green chiles
Pasilla de Oaxaca
Guajillo

Things to think about ..... Negro Modelo for deglazing the pot .... Unsweetened or bitter dark chocolate (in small moderate amounts) ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
When I started doing shells for my revolvers the apparent thing i noticed was the hole size in the cartridge controlled the velocity of my paint.
TL;DR hole size controls how fast balls get spent
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
I need this!

I've gotten good results from using a mix of fresh peppers and de-seeding about half. Cook them down before starting anything else and slowly adding them into the stewing meat, beans, onion, and tomato until the whole mix hits the right spice. You can fill out the flavor with the standard cayenne and chill powder as needed. Every once in a while I end up with more of a stew than a chili though.
Rusty Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Fan of EMR
Kilt Club
use a mix of burger and sausage
dont discard the drippings from either but add to your chili
pasta sauce and mater paste, pasta sauce gives you the option of either a sweeter or more spicy sauce that has no "dead" spots in it
stay away from gimmicks, real chili purists want flavor and texture, not the lastest foodie fad
diesel imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

here good tip that might work. not sure when chili cook off is happening. but you could make test batches so you know what to spicy or mild or medium. since when you add heat you will know what is to spicy or medium or mild. since you will not know if you add to much or to little. also what other people said too. you can test out on people to see what they say too. since more people trying it out more better answers you get.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanonsGrin View Post
What's the difference between Midwest and Texas?

When I make mine, I start by caramelizing a diced medium onion and set it aside, then brown about a pound of ground beef, add the onion back in and then adding Rotel Chili Ready diced tomatoes, a small can of tomato sauce, a small can of tomato paste, and a little water depending on how it gets. Then I add my heavy spices, chili powder, chipotle powder, cumin, and salt and pepper, all to taste until you hit the heat you want. I usually add a bit of chili powder to the beef as it is browning too. I sometimes add an extra can of petite diced tomatoes depending on how it is looking, and then a regular can of beans. I can't remember what I use for those right off, but it is a "chili ready" red bean, maybe a kidney bean? Your choice though.

It's not overly creative, but it is always tasty and I get lots of compliments.
the purest from texas will say no beans in chili mostly meat and spice. since beans mess up the flavors of heat since beans take away some natural heat from it.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislognshot View Post
the purest from texas will say no beans in chili mostly meat and spice. since beans mess up the flavors of heat since beans take away some natural heat from it.
They also make it cheaper in terms of food vs cost of materials. Same with pasta.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Bacon and other Good Eats