mcarterbrown.com  

Bacon and other Good Eats Cooking, recipes, how-tos, etc

Old 04-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

want to go brine route. start off with cheap cut meat in till you get hang on Brining your food. since it could take couple try's to get it right and what type brine you use. Brining food is good idea but take trial and error. also take it slow when your learn to smoke. since better start of some that not expensive but not a really cheap cut meat. since better off starting off with mid range price. since will not get mad if ruin that expensive cut meat if you over do it or under do it.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Do some pork belly, absolutely delicious, I smoke about 15 pounds at a time and cut it up to vacuum seal and freeze, great with roasted brussel sprouts, as sandwiches, etc. smoke and fry up like bacon (which it is, just not cured)
jt526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Villiage Idiot

Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Well everyone loved it.

Keeping the temp consistent is going to take some practice and it seems like I went through a LOT of wood chips but it helped make for a nice relaxing day of yard work.

I ended up using a Brown Sugar Bourbon rub that we knew everyone in the family already liked the flavor of and wrapped the meat in foil after about the first 4hrs (Per a suggestion on some sites I checked out)
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Mag-icidal Maniac

Foiling can restore a lot of the moisture and tenderness that you'll lose if you let the temperature get too hot, but it also destroys the "bark" (that sweet, smoky, almost-but-not-quite-crispy layer on the surface of really good barbecue) that some purists look for. Totally a matter of personal preference, IMO, but if you can keep your temp low (250-300 is a good target to start) you shouldn't need to foil.

If you want my secret weapon for temperature control, look up the "TipTopTemp" device. It's an adjustable vent that attaches to the chimney/top vent of the smoker, and is controlled by a bimetallic strip; when the temp starts creeping up, it closes, restricting the airflow to the fire; when it starts cooling down, the vent opens, feeding more air. It's such a simple, elegant device and doesn't cost much, to boot. Last time I did pulled pork, it kept my insulated grill at 245 +/-5 for 13 hours.

While we're on the subject of temperature, if you don't already, you should get a remote probe thermometer. I recommend either two of the inexpensive ones or one nice one with multiple probes. You want one for the meat, of course, but you should also have one to monitor the temperature at the grate. The little dial in the lid is fine for figuring out when it's ready to toss the burgers on the grill, but for smoking you need more precision. I've never seen a lid thermometer that was accurate to within 20 degrees...

Now, the real pitmasters often don't use a thermometer at all, but they've got years of trial and error on their side. If you want to make learning easy on yourself, get a couple of probes.

Having said all of that, the most important things to remember are 1) practice makes perfect, so get out there and smoke stuff, and 2) 99% of your failures will still be delicious, so don't sweat it too much.

Don't **** with Arsenal....that dudes ****ing crazy.
Arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Villiage Idiot

Fan of EMR
Thanks for the suggestions!

Looks like Saturday is the only day all week that it isn't going to rain. I'll have to see what we have for plans. It might be another chance to mess around with something.
Quote:
Old 05-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

BBQ Ribs Recipes, Barbecue Recipes, Grilling Techniques, Baby Back Ribs, Barbeque Spareribs, Outdoor Cooking, Rating Grills and Smokers

Check this site out. It has a lot of good info. I bought my self a pretty pricey smoker this year for a gift to myself. I should be getting it soon. I can't wait for summer this year. Its gonna be a lot of smoking ribs and brisket.
chi town saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

So, I blame you Green for what is to become of my next several hours. You posted this and I was like, "I do have a butt in the freezer I have been meaning to smoke." Now the smoker is heating up for the next 6 hours or so of cooking.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Villiage Idiot

Fan of EMR
You are welcome!

Just going to throw this out there. The bags of wood chips you buy (2lbs?) about how long should that last you? I understand there is likely huge differences depending on the amount of flavor and the meat, yadda yadda... Is there a general rule of thumb that you go by?
Quote:
Old 05-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmtnphantom View Post
You are welcome!

Just going to throw this out there. The bags of wood chips you buy (2lbs?) about how long should that last you? I understand there is likely huge differences depending on the amount of flavor and the meat, yadda yadda... Is there a general rule of thumb that you go by?
I use chunks or true firewood. I don't really have an equation or time for adding wood, I kind of just wing it. Probably a log an hour or so, depending on size and if it smoulders or burns. As my charcoal dies, I use firewood as my main fuel source to maintain temp. I have never had anyone complain about the amount of smoke on my meat, everyone enjoys the flavor. But again, I stick to oak which has a lighter flavor profile.

So, the butt came out great! Pulled out at 193* (should've kept in until over 200*, but everyone was waiting for me for dinner), and it pulled nicely. Ended up using it as carnitas for tacos. Dry rub was brown sugar, cayenne pepper, black pepper, garlic powder and paprika, altering to taste. Mopped with a spray bottle with 1:1 simple syrup of apple juice and brown sugar. About 6.5 hours at 225-250* with lump charcoal and hickory chunks.

That's the great thing about smoking meat, there are really no rules, it's all to taste.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
I just got one of these infared jobbies.The Big Easy® Smoker Roaster & Grill | Char-Broil®

I know it is not traditional smoking but it takes MUCH less time and the meat stays moist. So far I've only used it for one pork roast but it came out decent.
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Bacon and other Good Eats