mcarterbrown.com  

Bacon and other Good Eats Cooking, recipes, how-tos, etc

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2017, 11:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
makin bacon
 
baconquilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012

I just finished smoking a brisket today. Turned out fantastic.
Attached Images
 
__________________
My Feedback
baconquilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
makin bacon
 
baconquilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012

Cook time was is the same as a butt. About an hr and half per pound. For pork I use bad byrons butt rub as it has zero sugar. On my briskets I use salt and pepper only. IMO that is all you need with beef. Although I did make some burnt ends today and tossed in some fox brothers sauce, they were fantastic as well.
__________________
My Feedback
baconquilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rec Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Buffalo, NY

There's a lot of room for personal preference with brisket. Dismiss the folks that tell you the only way to do it is their way. I like: fat cap trimmed to where it has some squish to it when poked, kosher salt dry brine & beef broth injection left in fridge overnight, rubbed (no more salt at this point) before smoking fat side down with oak & hickory to 203 degrees, wrapped and rested in a clean cooler stuffed with towels for an hour or two before serving.

Strongly recommend getting a full brisket. Many places only have the flats. They're fine, but the point is the tastier piece.

Also recommend slicing it across the grain with a very sharp knife, if you over cooked it you can slice thicker to avoid it falling apart. On the flip side, you can fake out some tenderness if needed by slicing thinner.
Drew_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Villiage Idiot
 
Greenmtnphantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vermont
Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_72 View Post
There's a lot of room for personal preference with brisket. Dismiss the folks that tell you the only way to do it is their way. I like: fat cap trimmed to where it has some squish to it when poked, kosher salt dry brine & beef broth injection left in fridge overnight, rubbed (no more salt at this point) before smoking fat side down with oak & hickory to 203 degrees, wrapped and rested in a clean cooler stuffed with towels for an hour or two before serving.

Strongly recommend getting a full brisket. Many places only have the flats. They're fine, but the point is the tastier piece.

Also recommend slicing it across the grain with a very sharp knife, if you over cooked it you can slice thicker to avoid it falling apart. On the flip side, you can fake out some tenderness if needed by slicing thinner.

REALLY! Why fat down if you don't mind my asking. Thats counter to my instinct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
Have you guys smoked Brisket to make burnt ends? That is the favorite way to smoke brisket in Kansas City, and it usually sells out before dinner is over in BBQ restaurants here.
I couldn't find decent instructions, but here is a description.
What Are Burnt Ends? And Why Are They So Delicious? | Serious Eats
Thanks for the link.

You guys are all awesome. Thanks for the ideas.
__________________
Feedback https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html Gargoyle FAQ https://isppa.semkhor.com/newswire.asp?ctid=1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Thelar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: LeRoy, IL

Brisket I only salt(kosher) and pepper. I put on the pit at 225* for 3 hours, pull it wrap it in butcher paper, and return it to the pit at 250* until it reaches 190* and start probing it with a toothpick for tenderness. This one was a 6lb flat, and took another 4.5 hours after wrapping it. Pulled it at 200* IT. Put it in a cooler for another 1.5 hours. I prefer hickory, or hickory/pecan blend. It's important to know the hot spots on your smoker. Pork butts are pretty forgiving, but brisket can dry out. If I am doing a full brisket, I put the point near the hot spot on my smoker. It is usually thicker and has better marbling to stay moist. If I am doing a flat I put it on the cooler side of the smoker.

Here is a link to a video of Aaron Franklin testing different brisket smoking methods.

Video: Episode 1: Brisket | Watch BBQ with Franklin Online | KLRU-TV, Austin PBS Video
Attached Images
  
__________________
My Feedback
Thelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
bellicose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
Have you guys smoked Brisket to make burnt ends? That is the favorite way to smoke brisket in Kansas City, and it usually sells out before dinner is over in BBQ restaurants here.
I couldn't find decent instructions, but here is a description.
What Are Burnt Ends? And Why Are They So Delicious? | Serious Eats
Like at Smoking Guns? I always have the burnt ends there.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rec Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Buffalo, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmtnphantom View Post
REALLY! Why fat down if you don't mind my asking.
I believe the argument that sold me was that fat molecules are too big to penetrate the meat fibers, and the basting effect isn't as pronounced as expected - mostly just drips off the sides if anything. The fat layer is better served as a sort of insulator/regulator to help it cook evenly - heat source below the meat. I'm not sure the difference is material though.

If anyone here has tried it both ways in the same smoke, I'd be interested in their thoughts.
Drew_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Spider!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_72 View Post
The fat layer is better served as a sort of insulator/regulator to help it cook evenly - heat source below the meat.
A lot of variations in technique go back to other things. My family never "smokes" with direct heat. An insulator I can see. As a regulator, melted fat all across seems like a better sacrificial layer than a glob on the bottom. Then again, you can argue about the proper use of foil (or not) for a long time.

That said, my father-in-law (who should know better) dried out a lean brisket the other day in a vertical water pan smoker.
__________________
My Feedback

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Villiage Idiot
 
Greenmtnphantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vermont
Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
I found that for me, I liked wrapping the pork in foil towards the end (Last few hours) because it seemed create a kind of sauce layer as the bark softened up in the juices that I would coat the inner meat when I pulled and mixed it all together as opposed to having the stronger flavor in the bark and the less seasoned inner meat, it was a more even flavor.
__________________
Feedback https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html Gargoyle FAQ https://isppa.semkhor.com/newswire.asp?ctid=1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Grendel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Northbridge [Whitinsville], MA

For me this is the basic "formula"
  1. Full Brisket
  2. Rub whole brisket with mustard [helps dry rub adhere] I like spice brown
  3. Liberally rubbed down with favorite rub [for me Coarse Salt (Kosher is usually coarse) Dark Brown sugar, Paprika, Cumin, dry mustard, White/Black Pepper, Touch of Cayenne, and little Cocoa Powder]
  4. Wrap and put in fridge for 24 hrs [ish]
  5. Lump charcoal with soaked lumps of favorite wood [I like apple for brisket]
  6. slowly bring up smoker to 225-250*F [I try to keep as close to 225*F as possible]
  7. I use a komodo style smoker so I use a heat diffuser to keep heat away from bottom of brisket.
  8. Pan of water placed on top of diffuser to add moisture to chamber
  9. Place brisket in an aluminum pan add little apple juice to the pan then place pan in center of grill away from direct heating
  10. Set up wireless thermometer with one probe for the smoke chamber and other inserted in the middle of the brisket.
  11. Close smoker and maintain temp as low as possible between 225 and 250*f
  12. Open no more the hourly to spritz brisket with apple juice, close back up.
  13. Smoke until meat thermometer = 185*F
  14. Spritz one more time adding some juice to pan if completely dry and wrap up tight
  15. Continue heating until 200*F Pull thermometer and remove from smoker
  16. Let rest in the kitchen's oven [off] for ~ 1 hour [lot of people use coolers for this]
  17. Pull from pan put on cutting board and slice up [cross grain]
__________________


"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Bacon and other Good Eats

« Bourbon | Wasted »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC