mcarterbrown.com  

Bacon and other Good Eats Cooking, recipes, how-tos, etc

Old Yesterday, 01:20 AM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

So this thread made me hungry for chili. As was probably obvious from my previous post in this thread, I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian (22 years), so I tend to have a more beany chili. I never really make it the same way twice, and like to experiment. In the summer months when I grow my own peppers I'll add them to the chili. This was a quick/cheap chili that the leftovers will feed me for a couple of days.

2 cans of pinto beans
1 can of light red kidney beans
1 can of dark red kidney beans
1 can of black beans
1 can of great northern beans
1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, lime, and cilantro
2 bags of Morningstar chorizo crumbles (something new my grocery store started carrying, usually I'd just use their ground crumbles)
1 bag of Stubb's chili fixins cookin' sauce
Some Cholula chipotle hot sauce (didn't measure, just added to taste)
Some 92% cacao dark chocolate

I just threw everything in a pot and let it simmer for a couple of hours, stirring occasionally. Came out pretty decent. I'm still not a big fan of chorizo. I never had it before becoming a vegetarian, so no idea about what it "should" taste like. It always seems to have a stronger cumin taste, and I'm not a big fan of strong cumin flavors. Wasn't too bad this time however. It was only about medium spicy. I ate it with sour cream, sharp cheddar, and a few Ritz crackers here and there. I always like chili with cheese and sour cream, no matter how mild it is.

Last edited by William the Third; Yesterday at 03:08 PM. Reason: Forgot the dark chocolate.
William the Third is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:36 AM   #22 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

Curious.. what's an Ovo-lacto vegetarian? You still eat eggs and dairy?

-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:58 AM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofxkid2005 View Post
Curious.. what's an Ovo-lacto vegetarian? You still eat eggs and dairy?
Correct. I figured I'd state it since I figured if I didn't someone might be confused about the picture with sour cream/cheese.
Old Yesterday, 03:14 AM   #24 (permalink)
Thunder bum bum

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
Isn't that the difference between vegan and vegetarian? Genuinely curious
Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post
Isn't that the difference between vegan and vegetarian? Genuinely curious
Basically yes, though one can be just an ovo or lacto vegetarian, or neither but not a vegan due to consumption of some animal by-products.

Raw Food Vegan: A Vegan with the requirement that all food be uncooked.

Vegan: Vegans do not consume any animal products or by-products. So vegans of course do not consume red or white meat, fish or fowl. They also do not consume eggs and dairy. Vegans do not use honey or beeswax, gelatin and any other animal by-product ingredients or products. Vegans typically do not use animal products such as silk, leather and wool, as well.

Vegetarian: Vegetarians do not eat red or white meat, fish, fowl, eggs, or dairy products. Do consume some animal by-products like honey or beeswax, gelatin, and any other animal by-product ingredients or products.

Lacto Vegetarian: Lacto-vegetarians do not eat red or white meat, fish, fowl or eggs. However, lacto-vegetarians do consume dairy products such as cheese, milk and yogurt.

Ovo Vegetarian: Ovo-vegetarians do not eat red or white meat, fish, fowl or dairy products. However, ovo-vegetarians do consume egg products.

Lacto-ovo vegetarian: Lacto-ovo vegetarians do not consume red meat, white meat, fish or fowl. However, lacto-ovo vegetarians do consume dairy products and egg products. This is the most common type of vegetarian.

Pollotarian: Much like the pescatarian, this “semi-vegetarian” diet restricts meat consumption to poultry and fowl only. Pollotarians do not consume red meat or fish and seafood

Pescatarian (Pescetarian): While technically not a type of vegetarian, these individuals do restrict their meat consumption to fish and seafood only. Pescatarians do not consume red meat, white meat or fowl. This is considered a “semi-vegetarian” or “flexitarian” diet.

Flexitarian – A plant-based diet with the occasional meat item on the menu. These folks do their best to limit meat intake as much as possible and they have an almost entirely plant-based diet. This is not technically considered a “vegetarian” diet, but we commend the effort!

List taken from here, and I added the Raw Food Vegan and Vegetarian option.
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM   #26 (permalink)
Thunder bum bum

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
For the raw vegans, why? I assume it keeps more vitamins intact?
Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post
For the raw vegans, why? I assume it keeps more vitamins intact?
Something like that, but it's not something I really agree with. No doubt that a well prepared raw vegan meal can be very good. However, cooking food makes it generally more bioavaliable, requires less energy to digest, and played a very critical role in the evolution of human intelligence.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Bacon and other Good Eats