mcarterbrown.com  

Bacon and other Good Eats Cooking, recipes, how-tos, etc

Old 04-22-2019, 02:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Paintball Fox

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Roasting coffee

So I finally was able to find a affordable used roaster to be able to do my own coffee. Couldn’t go straight up to a hot top or kaldi plus they can smoke more. Now to finish it exhaust and a proper cooling area that I hope to use with the king blower.

I might connect the cooling area to the exhaust with a T connector. Still deciding if I wanna use the chamber stand and put king pipe under it or have it own module with a mesh at the bottom.

I am aware that I am lacking adjustment other than temperatures with times.
Got told I can still pre-heat, pause the machine and fill it up then do a 30min countdown for reference purpose. Pause again at desired level then empty roasting chamber and do regular cooling after setting remaining time under 1min.

I do have a pound of old coffee to try out before doing the Columbia or Ethiopia.

Really happy to expand more my knowledge than just reading about it or watching videos of many roaster.

Name:  76DAB50A-91C5-41F5-B488-5DBAF3221C45.jpeg
Views: 99
Size:  179.9 KB

Name:  46829A15-CF98-454F-B149-F1F2E7417A44.jpeg
Views: 97
Size:  191.7 KB

Le Renard Youtube Channel

Last edited by Obake; 05-06-2019 at 03:44 PM.
BenoitOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenoitOWN View Post
Pause again at desired level then empty roasting chamber and do regular cooling after setting remaining time under 1min.
Yeah. I have a Behmor with a cooling cycle, but it is still an "oven" and doesn't cool as fast as pulling the drum out with a pair of gloves and pouring it over a box fan. I confiscated a cooking present from the wife that I use, some sort of grill basket like this;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DL5B7FY...d-799299fc1ec4

I usually roast at least two different coffee batches. If one doesn't quite come out right, I'll try blending them. That usually makes it at least entertaining in flavor. Sometimes the blend is better than either separately. The wife often likes one over the other, and I can usually pick up the slack.

some things are stickier than others

Last edited by Spider!; 05-01-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Paintball Fox

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I wanted to use the king Canada blower(red appliance in bottom right of first picture) to cool thing down.
There is no connector made from 1.5’’ water pipe to 3’’ vents(3’’ to 4’’ piece) that I wanted to put a mesh on the bottom to hold the beans and then connect to my current venting. After that I got told they don’t have any T fitting to connect to my current vents. I would need to do another hole for that on my wood plank.

Attached picture, it removable when not in use. Almost a perfect deal on the window frame but somehow the window slide stay ‘bent’.

Name:  D621BC4A-8683-425A-A185-1523C487449E.jpeg
Views: 69
Size:  134.1 KB

Last edited by Obake; 05-06-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Very cool! Yeah, I have a behmor also but haven't roasted in a while. I need to get back into that.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
I wanted to use the king Canada blower(red appliance in bottom right of first picture) to cool thing down.
There is no connector made from 1.5’’ water pipe to 3’’ vents(3’’ to 4’’ piece) that I wanted to put a mesh on the bottom to hold the beans and then connect to my current venting. After that I got told they don’t have any T fitting to connect to my current vents. I would need to do another hole for that on my wood plank.

Attached picture, it removable when not in use. Almost a perfect deal on the window frame but somehow the window slide stay ‘bent’.
I do my roasting in the garage, but I have similar vent plans for my 3d printer. How well does that blower work for clearing the smoke?

Old 05-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Paintball Fox

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I have not completed the work yet for that blower but have been using it for hard to reach spots under furniture to clear dust.

It have 6 intensity setting and yes it could easily clear smokes provided you do not go for too high of an intake. I was going to use it enclosed once I complete a support. If you do make a support to make it stable out of your printer I would take one. :P

Old 05-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
SC Ambassador

Send a message via AIM to Ghost334

I have roasted coffee beans exactly 4 times. 3 of those I got acceptable results. I used the good old-fashioned "oven on low, open the windows and turn on the fans" method. I have approximately 700 grams of beans directly from Ethiopia if anyone is interested.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Paintball Fox

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Well I think it a nice offer but it might actually be better off meeting someone local to grab than shipping it. You could even see if a small coffee shop toaster be interested to roast it for you.

I have access to my work for green coffee wich we have so many to choose from wich offer a nice cost.
I could order online if I’m looking for an higher grade or specific country but that will be later after a few roasts.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost334 View Post
I have roasted coffee beans exactly 4 times. 3 of those I got acceptable results. I used the good old-fashioned "oven on low, open the windows and turn on the fans" method. I have approximately 700 grams of beans directly from Ethiopia if anyone is interested.
I might be able to oven roast now, but that's a hard way to start.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
I was going to use it enclosed once I complete a support. If you do make a support to make it stable out of your printer I would take one. :P
I'm thinking along the lines of a welding fume extractor. I plan to grab the next rejected hair dryer from my wife and make some adapters and support for it, probably mid-hose.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Bacon and other Good Eats