mcarterbrown.com  

Bob Long BLAST - Bob Long Action Sports Technologies

Old 01-23-2016, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sector 2814

CCM Fan
Naughty Dog restoration

Hello ladies, I'm doing a naughty dog restoration project and need some info on "upgrades".

-Do hi flow barbs make a big difference on a 2K5 and what are the benefits? ( lower pressure? Smoother cycle? More efficient?)
-Does a volumizer yield positive results on a 2K5 front block? ( lower pressure? Better recharge? Quite shot? Easier on paint?)
-Would a 2K6 front block and LPR be better over the 2K5 version?
-How is the AKA LPR? (More consistent? Reliability over stock?)
-Is there a better bolt than the stock bolt?

If I missed anything let me know. I'm planning on using an Eigen ram, Eigen barrel kit, bob long adjustable ram cap, virtue board, sidewinder regulator, bob long gear drive asa, mill feed tube to accept G6R feedneck, custom single trigger and guard, possibly custom bolt build. Maybe a little more milling on the body and front block for blending and weight reduction. Maybe do the Blast hole mod or custom low pressure poppet. Tonsixers anno job.

Thanks for reading my babble
eddielives75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddielives75 View Post
Hello ladies, I'm doing a naughty dog restoration project and need some info on "upgrades".

-Do hi flow barbs make a big difference on a 2K5 and what are the benefits? ( lower pressure? Smoother cycle? More efficient?)
all barbs are highflow nowadays
-Does a volumizer yield positive results on a 2K5 front block? ( lower pressure? Better recharge? Quite shot? Easier on paint?) not needed on a 2k5
-Would a 2K6 front block and LPR be better over the 2K5 version?2k5
-How is the AKA LPR? (More consistent? Reliability over stock?)works great, can be finicky in cold weather. you can buy the internals and put it in a stock LPR for $15
-Is there a better bolt than the stock bolt?stock bolt works great, so does the shocktech if you can't find one.

If I missed anything let me know. I'm planning on using an Eigen ram, Eigen barrel kit, bob long adjustable ram cap, virtue board, sidewinder regulator, bob long gear drive asa, mill feed tube to accept G6R feedneck, custom single trigger and guard, possibly custom bolt build. Maybe a little more milling on the body and front block for blending and weight reduction. Maybe do the Blast hole mod or custom low pressure poppet. Tonsixers anno job.

put input in red
jtguy2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:

2k5's came stock with high flow barbs and hose, you can get crazy and try even larger diameter barbs and hose, but one has to wonder where the larger diameter stops being and advantage and starts to hinder (requires more air than the solenoid can output to fill the larger volume in the hose before it affects the ram)

Quote:
-Does a volumizer yield positive results on a 2K5 front block? ( lower pressure? Better recharge? Quite shot? Easier on paint?)
It'll lower the pressure needed from the HPR, making the shot a little quieter (you're looking at about a 20 PSI drop with the correct 2k5 min volly). Being gentle on paint is a function of the bolt geometry and the force applied at the beginning of the bolt's fore stroke; so, no, it won't make the marker gentler on paint.

Quote:
-Would a 2K6 front block and LPR be better over the 2K5 version?
They're the same apart from the milling on the LPR's cap. Now the 2009 version of the LPR uses a schrader valve rather than the older pin/seat/retainer combo, which increases recharge and makes for easier disassembly/replacement.

Quote:
-How is the AKA LPR? (More consistent? Reliability over stock?)
It flows more air than the stock one and is just as consistent (to be perfectly honest with you, you'll get similar performance if you use an AKA/empire resurrection LPR core retainer on the stock LPR).

Quote:
-Is there a better bolt than the stock bolt?
Not one that'll get you better numbers (PSI, dwell, etc), but a pillow bolt will be gentler on paint than the stock bolt.

Quote:

Try to get a Tadao M7 board in stead of the virtue, they run lower dwell and can power aftermarket solenoids much better than the virtue. For looks, I'd recommend a 360 regulator, it performs almost as well as the sidewinder and being a BL part, it looks much more at home than the sidewinder on a timmy; maintenance is also much easier than the sidewinder. If you're going for a custom bolt, look up Juit's bolt mods on the timmy owners group, it's a cheap way to make the stock bolt gentler on paint. If you do mill the body, some collector somewhere is going to have an aneurysm, a ND body would not be my first pick for additional milling (moreso with stock alias bodies being as cheap as they are nowadays; I'd say keep the ND body stock and mill an alias body to swap out for extra agg points on special days). The blast hole mod is not needed, the blast hole is already the same diameter as the sleeve's inlet hole. An LP poppet would be nice, look up empire poppets with gen5 cup seals on the timmy owners group, they have better flow characteristics than stock gen3 poppets.

I made a timmy similar to what you want with all the mods you're planning on doing: https://www.intimidatorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=12062
Let me know if you have any questions/comments.
timekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Timekeeper- what dwell do you recommend to run on a tadao board?
Old 09-02-2016, 11:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Depends on what solenoid you're using, but for stock humphreys, I'd recommend 8ms, same as a stock frenzy board; Racenoids and Mac43 solenoids require a bit more (more so with the later, set dwell like with any other marker, raise until you get consistent shots at the desired pressure).

Last edited by timekeeper; 09-02-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeeper View Post
Depends on what solenoid you're using, but for stock humphreys, I'd recommend 8ms, same as a stock frenzy board; Racenoids and Mac43 solenoids require a bit more (more so with the later, set dwell like with any other marker, raise until you get consistent shots at the desired pressure).
Thank you, I have a couple of my tadao boards being flashed for m7 because my virtue board is off for repair as well and need all my boards capable of 10bps. I'll probably set it at 9ms and forget about it.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

It should do well, you might even be able to run a lower (than stock recommended) LPR pressure consistently.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Bob Long