mcarterbrown.com  

Bob Long BLAST - Bob Long Action Sports Technologies

Old 06-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs View Post
Just got the call, will be here tomorrow.
I visited the guys at P-B Gateway at lunch today (thurs), and they gave me the shoulder shrugging motion when I asked about an eta for their shipment's arrival.

They are a sponser of BLAST so I was hoping they'd get their batch in sooner then later. *e-sniff!* I'm jealous of you!
Shiba-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Old gear!

A teammate of mine got his Friday or Saturday, and is impressed to put it simply. He's not so mechanically-minded, though, so I'll wait till I get my hands on it to post anything definitive.

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
flyweightnate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Heebs: Got to check out a gloss black this afternoon. I almost bought it, but I decided to hold out a little longer for a dust black version.

It felt really nice in my hands, and there was a goodly amount of space between the trigger guard and the regulator. I use size L gloves and didn't feel cramped at all holding onto it. A lot more space then my Ego8 and a bit more the my Closer.

Not having much experience with a Mini or Luxe, I was impressed with the interior routing of the airlines. It made switching hands seem like it would be less of a hassle. Probably only a mentally comforting feature, but in the heat of the battle anything that can ease your use of your marker is a plus to me.

The shop were I checked it out pointed out things like the improved bolt (aluminum now), and they warned me about the difference between the LPR and frame screws (they're close together and peeps are misidentifying them I was told).

I can't wait for the dust black models to come in, you lucky guy!!
Old 06-25-2009, 07:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
JKW

Its funny how the Victory looks a little "off" when you first see it. No external air line and the short reg body really stand out. After holding it for a little while though, everything else starts to look a little odd and the Victory seems to be the one that's right. I noticed this at HB. We had the prototypes back at the tech table for a little while doing some tinkering (the LPRs had just been finished and rush to the event) and when I walked back up to the truck, I was a little surprised at how all the Closers on display suddenly looked clunky.
JKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

^ The lines of the body look misproportioned to me. The cuts go back and sweep slightly upward if I recall correcty. But the reg and the angle it's positioned at almost fights against this flow. Plus the feed neck sits up a little high for such a sleek looking body. But maybe that's because I'm comparing it to the Closer's neck.

I wish they had a way to move the feedneck back a little bit. And where the lower portion (horizontal) of the trigger guard meets the grip, I'd like to have a little relief cut up into it. I think both would have given the marker a little more balanced appearance to the rear (where the flows on the body are heading towards).

Last edited by Shiba-Kun; 06-26-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

A teammate picked one of these up and got it a couple of weeks ago (maybe a week ago, I'm not sure). I played a couple of games with it yesterday. The thing shot smoother than pig-snot. The looks are decent, and the reg wasn't much of a problem. I really liked the feedneck being a little taller than the closer. All in all, nicest shooting electro I've touched (and I'm generally an ego fan).

The gun leaked like a sieve when he first got it. He called BLAST and apparently, they test the parts individually, but not the gun assembled. Nothing was tuned. That makes me think poorly of BLAST, because I would think that a gun worth that much, being hand assembled in the US could spend a couple of extra minutes in the hands of the tech there being tuned to fire out of the box. Disappointing. I'm also of the opinion that Bob should buy a color laser printer and at least thrown in a standard 8"x11" print-off manual. They've come down is price over the last year, even the duplex capable ones. I'm sure he could find one within his budget.

Nice gun, BLAST needs to work on their rough edges.

Nothing beats a good day at Mount Doom.
Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

^ LOLS, what is it? I think it was 2 pieces of literature. One for the board (which is the same one that you get w/ a Closer) and I think the other was also from Tadao.

No warranty card, catalog, schematics or other diagrams/parts list, etc.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
A teammate picked one of these up and got it a couple of weeks ago (maybe a week ago, I'm not sure). I played a couple of games with it yesterday. The thing shot smoother than pig-snot. The looks are decent, and the reg wasn't much of a problem. I really liked the feedneck being a little taller than the closer. All in all, nicest shooting electro I've touched (and I'm generally an ego fan).

The gun leaked like a sieve when he first got it. He called BLAST and apparently, they test the parts individually, but not the gun assembled. Nothing was tuned. That makes me think poorly of BLAST, because I would think that a gun worth that much, being hand assembled in the US could spend a couple of extra minutes in the hands of the tech there being tuned to fire out of the box. Disappointing. I'm also of the opinion that Bob should buy a color laser printer and at least thrown in a standard 8"x11" print-off manual. They've come down is price over the last year, even the duplex capable ones. I'm sure he could find one within his budget.

Nice gun, BLAST needs to work on their rough edges.
Well if your friend picked it up a couple of weeks ago or maybe a week, he probably shot it already. You shot it, and then it leaked. Do we know where the leak came from, or what was the cause of the leak?

My question for you is how many cases or air fills you want them to blow through a new gun to satisfy you? Because it seems you shot a bunch through it and it was working. So their test would have concluded the gun functioning and it would have shipped. My other question is how many times in that week or couple of weeks did your friend or his friends take the engine out to stare at it. I can tell that when I was playing around with one, I kept on taking the thing out in amazement of how it was designed.

Those are just a few points I'd like to make and questions I had.
Furion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

As I said, when he got the gun, it leaked. He called BLAST and they told him, that they didn't test the completed gun in any way, just the individual parts, and he would need to set the regs, etc himself. So to spell it out for you, he took it out of the box, put air to it, and air came pouring out of it the first time it was aired up from the factory. All the shooting we did was after he had to set the regs himself.

To answer your question "My question for you is how many cases or air fills you want them to blow through a new gun to satisfy you?"

Any, or none. All it would have taken was a BLAST tech setting the damn thing to some easily obtainable baseline reg settings or putting the least amount of air to it, for it to be usable out of the box. While yes, for over a thousand dollars I would like a gun finely tuned out to the box, I would settle for functioning.

Why would taking the engine out cause the gun to leak? Isn't the fact that its so easily removable one of the high points they're touting.

Like I said, great gun, I just think that all of Bob's time goes into making cool stuff, and some should be put on the small details as it goes out the door.

Nothing beats a good day at Mount Doom.

Last edited by Daze; 07-06-2009 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Poor comma placement.
Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

With respect, I think communication was erroded somewhere in that conversation between BLAST to your friend, or your friend to you.

Bob Long has always tested completed guns. He actually shoots real paintballs through the gun and chrono's them to make sure they can fire and fire correctly. He checks for leaks and anything that could be wrong with the marker. Bob sets up all of his guns to shoot 285-290 at the factory. Of course depending on barrel and paint the end user may need to adjust the gun slightly as with any gun. Bob of course won't blow 10 cases through a gun. But I am very confident he tests every gun in its fully assembled form.

Taking the engine out should not cause any leaks, virtually everytime it will be fine. I can't say with a certainty, because what if when he took apart the gun to any extent lead to a small chip in an o-ring. No one can say for sure.

But in the advent of your claim, I would like to know who was the one that told your friend that. I know the people over at BLAST, they have upstanding service. They are probably best at building and assembling a gun.

I want to know because its good customer feedback and thats something Bob will fix, if in fact it was said. If it wasn't said and just interpretted and now put on a forum, thats just bashing, no matter how you ended your post. Please ask your friend the name of the representative, or exactly how they said what they said.
Furion is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Bob Long