mcarterbrown.com  

Brass Eagle Brass Eagle owners can hang out here

Old 11-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #21 (permalink)

so I figured id post this up in here as it seems a lot of us are looking for solutions to revamping a great gun. personally I love the looks of these guns, and want to try and get them back in mainstream pump.

so my first idea is basically a revamp on the cart adapter for the nightmare. Fig A shows a new insert that mimics the stock adapter but also acts as a dummy 12g. but also adding in a constant air adapter on the back. a standard bucket changer would fit into the constant air asa adapter as well as running a bottom line down to the old plastic Crossman stocks that a few of these came with. im looking to run a 13-14 cubic inch tank on one.
this would be prob done in two pieces since the idea is to utilize the threads for the 12g twist knob. these threads being smaller in diameter would make threading male threads difficult with also having a larger diameter asa adapter. could prob use a shaft with two o rings on to seal. the back part would be attached to the asa back part of adapter.

Fig B is again revamping the cart adapter but then using a modern pierce pin assembly found on current bucket changers. only issue I see is where the pin hole lines up that delivers air down to valve would be out of alignment with having to have the pin assembly far enough into the cart assembly to have air holes drilled and work.

Fig C shows the revamp cart assembly BUT now using a new prototype pin assembly. instead of using whats already made, this would have to be created and have the threads on the outside of it. thus allowing for an airchamber to be created and line up with air hole.

of course mind you all of this sounds great in theory but bringing to life would require some talent with a lathe and mill machine im sure. im sure someone must know some very talented individuals.

[IMG][/IMG]

now the second part of my twisted idea is using a cci phantom as a basis and creating a modern version of the nightmare. since I don't have a phantom at my disposal, its hard to really work up schematics, but the idea is having a bigger diameter vert breach made as well as a freak bored barrel.
the key is to have the barrel and breach align in way that they resemble the old one piece barrel breach phantoms. modern phantoms have the breach being slightly larger in diameter. everything would need to be 7/8' diameter to allow for the nightmare pump handle and arm to work. on top would be an upper asa adapter as well as a feed. a screw would go into the thread insert used for the stock class feeds and on front would be a double bracket( much like two scope rings) keeping the upper tube and barrel aligned and sturdy. a constant feed adapter could also be added for stick feeds or for easier reload instead of pulling the front plug like on nightmares. again these are just ideas that I have come up with while pondering and looking at my night mare.
im hoping some of these ideas might spark something,
next im working on a updated valve assembly

oh and side note, id be using a ccm 86* frame and attempt to adapt a new style stock that looks like the old ones but bolts and holds onto the 86* grip panels. this would be the creme de la crème.

and yes the breach would have to have grooves/slots cut into side like a phuzzard and then align the bolt with possible new holes but on both sides of marker.

[IMG][/IMG]
teampredator00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghp8ntballer View Post
Two stage trigger - thats neat. I have a few thoughts on my own in which we will differ. I have two kids now, so time is limited. I'm thinking cocker slider.

I have mic'd my LB for the most part as hopefully Ty will be able to customize it to my liking when his day job slows down. If you need more specific specs, I can post them. I think I mic'd the barrel around .683/4 at the muzzle which explains a lot. BUT - look down the barrel of your Nightmares please... do the barrels look like waves in the ocean? Mine does.

I love the unitized piercer and valve assembly idea. That would pretty much correct the biggest issues. I think the integrity of the gun would be fine. My only concern - you mentioned rough pump strokes on your nightmares. Mine was super easy and smooth prior to my last bit of work on it. I managed to score the bore in the valve area. I got it smoothed out and it seals but the bolt/powertube of the valve binds when the front grip screw is snugged. If loose, its fine. My spare valve body now has a bent power tube. Not sure if its from my repair or if I polished the valve bodies down to much leaving extra wiggle room.

CA adapter - 3 different ways. One is the multi-piece sheridan style. The other is the way we discussed with the stock plug and a dummy 12g. The other would be aone piece custom plug/dummy 12g like many other guns.

AAAANNNNNDDDDDD....... HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
My barrels have what look like machining rings, they are definitely not the nice glassy look I like to see. They seem even though, no weird light effects looking down the barrel.

One of my nightmare's came with a bent powertube, I have to make sure it is pointing upwards when I install it, then I can snug the front grip screw no problem. Even on the one that isn't visibly bent, I can't really tighten the front grip screw or it locks the bolt into place. My issue does definitely revolve around the bolt movement, I've found that my bolt wants to twists a bit as it moves, binding on the power tube and body. Adding a second thumbscrew to the other side would resolve the issue, but I think making a slightly longer bolt would as well. I suppose a bolt that fits tighter into the body would work as well to eliminate that play.
RuleOfSines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by teampredator00 View Post
so I figured id post this up in here as it seems a lot of us are looking for solutions to revamping a great gun. personally I love the looks of these guns, and want to try and get them back in mainstream pump.
Some great stuff here, just mulling stuff over

I like the idea of using a phantom to create a modern Nightmare, getting the look of a Nightmare LB but the functionality of a phantom would be very nice.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
Paintball is my Obsession

RoS - I will have to try and change the installed position of my valves and see if that fixes my new found binding. I have thought up a new bolt made of delrin that has a venturi face. But to have the venturi face, it must be extended and potentially shortend powertube.

Teampredator - I like the CA idea. I forgot that I thought something like that up too. As far as the CCI bucket piercer, I still plan on trying to just modify the existing passages to accept the piercer before threading the external body of the piercer. That metal is pretty thin.

Also, I like the look and idea of a modern nightmare. But your drawing there is basically a pistol version of a crowdbuster. Dont take that the wrong way. The problem with it is, its now a phantom not a nightmare. If you go so far as to create a new body that accepts a threaded barrel, or a multipiece body/feed/air source system, you might as well just use a phantom as a base to begin with.

I gotta get off to work. More theory later. One more thing - I talked with Ty and TJD and both agree that freak boring or even sleeving nightmares would not end well even if possible.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

Quote:
RoS - I will have to try and change the installed position of my valves and see if that fixes my new found binding. I have thought up a new bolt made of delrin that has a venturi face. But to have the venturi face, it must be extended and potentially shortend powertube.

I gotta get off to work. More theory later. One more thing - I talked with Ty and TJD and both agree that freak boring or even sleeving nightmares would not end well even if possible.
I plan on trying a delrin version of our stock bolt, just lengthened slightly. I think it could be extended a 1/4" or so without further mods, and still clear the breech.

When my bolt is all the way forward, it is only just barely still on the powertube, so it allows a decent bit of side-to-side movement and binding.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:01 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:

Teampredator - I like the CA idea. I forgot that I thought something like that up too. As far as the CCI bucket piercer, I still plan on trying to just modify the existing passages to accept the piercer before threading the external body of the piercer. That metal is pretty thin.

Also, I like the look and idea of a modern nightmare. But your drawing there is basically a pistol version of a crowdbuster. Dont take that the wrong way. The problem with it is, its now a phantom not a nightmare. If you go so far as to create a new body that accepts a threaded barrel, or a multipiece body/feed/air source system, you might as well just use a phantom as a base to begin with.

the updated cart assembly is a new machined piece with a new pierce pin assembly too. trying to mod a stock modern pierce pin assembly would be crazy, your right no where near enough meat. the pierce assembly would have to be prob about 1/2 diameter with maybe a hex in to install or the standard slots on either side.

as for the use of a phantom for base, it was more or less updating into a true nelson base marker. as opposed to a Sheridan/nelson hybrid . updating the valve would require some interesting thinking outside the box. I just got mine sealing and shooting. still little hiss but was shooting 260+. I love the look of the nightmares, and I mean love. but just my opinion, needs update or some kind of new seals or cup seal to help.
teampredator00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #27 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

Mini Bacci christmas, got the parts in I need to continue for now:
Old 12-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #28 (permalink)

I had that hammer on my wishlist for a month. lol. Guess I will have to get the 100g one.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:17 PM   #29 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

So here's something weird, the new pump handle is different from the others.

2nd from the top:

Bttom:

Bottom:

Bottom:

Anyone seen one like this? It has a different, alternating ribbed milling, and a different offset on the thumbscrew slots. I'm not going to end up using it on any of these bodies, it binds up heavily, the slot for the hammer is narrower than the thumb screw. The rear slot is also slightly too far forward, so you have to crank it back to catch the sear.

Last edited by RuleOfSines; 12-01-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:29 AM   #30 (permalink)

I've seen pics of handles with the alternating ribs, not never paid any more attention than that.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Brass Eagle