mcarterbrown.com  

Brass Eagle Brass Eagle owners can hang out here

Old 11-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

My Random Nightmare Meanderings

So this isn't going to be so much a build as just a collection of stuff I do with Nightmares.

I've found that Nightmares are my favorite of all the markers I've used so far, in spite of the marker's own best efforts to the contrary. The milling is all crooked, the grip frames are off-kilter, the maintenance process involves never doing any maintenance unless you absolutely must, odd valve and lower tube design that destroys o-rings, crazy hammer bounce, and so on.

So, what is there to like? Well they have some serious Presence on the field. They are all mean looking markers, and can be heard all across the neighborhood. The SB's are easy to hold and run with and have a nice weight to them. I've found that I strongly prefer carrying a Nightmare SB, over one of my Sheridans. The LB's are just awesome to look at, and they can all blow small CO2 clouds out of everywhere when fired.

The Nightmares so far coming up...
RuleOfSines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

So the first one, a Nightmare LB Comp, purchased as a Body only on ebay:

I got all the parts I needed and set about putting it back together.

The seller had previously attempted to build a Nightmare, but was unable to get the marker to seal. I found out why quite quickly.

At some point in time, someone had hammered a valve assembly out of the marker without removing the lockscrews, or perhaps broke the screws inside the valve. So as the valve was hammered out, the Nightmare was destroyed. I tried honing out the lower tube to repair the damage, and had some success, but it turned out to be too much. The amount of material that needed to be removed to smooth out the heavy gouges, meant that the valve assembly fit loosely into place, and would never seal properly. This Nightmare has since been retired to a parts pile.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Paintball is my Obsession

I fully support this thread
Old 11-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghp8ntballer View Post
I fully support this thread
Your contributions to it will be coming up in the near future , I finally ordered those Metric o-rings you recommended. I'll be rebuilding one of my SBs with them once I get a few more items in.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Is the body brass or aluminium? (I have never handled one, and thought there maybe some made of either material.)

The end result is similar, though... Use solder... either aluminium or lead to try and repair the damage.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak, Freak XL compatible and Equation inserts in .670, .678, and .685

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO

Follow Brass Monkey Customs on Instagram and Facebook (work in progress)
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymcneer View Post
Is the body brass or aluminium? (I have never handled one, and thought there maybe some made of either material.)

The end result is similar, though... Use solder... either aluminium or lead to try and repair the damage.

Ty
Mine is aluminum, though the early ones were Brass, and I may revisit this body again in the future to try and repair it. At the moment I'm focusing on picking one and getting it snazzy, which at the moment will be one of my SBs.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Sweet. If you do the rework... take lots of picture, so we can live vicariously through your endeavor.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak, Freak XL compatible and Equation inserts in .670, .678, and .685

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO

Follow Brass Monkey Customs on Instagram and Facebook (work in progress)
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

So I did get something from the first Nightmare even though I put it aside, I found that with a slight modification to the comp feedneck, it can be used as stock Class. The feedneck easily pulled out of the body, not sure if it should have though, and I rounded off an edge to match the curve of the body. With the feedneck in place and the rounded edge towards the front, the upper tube could then be filled via the feedneck and operated as stock class from that point forward.

A 12-round tube cap also fits perfectly on the feedneck:

I also was able to get a lot of practice in removing and re-installing the valve assembly. For anyone who hasn't had a Nightmare apart, it looks like this:

They're a simple enough looking assembly, however the o-rings are significant issue. They just fit into cut grooves on the valve, and the whole assembly must then be carefully pressed into the lower tube, past razor-sharp holes in the lower tube. There is no tightening of anything to compress the o-rings for a good seal, as you would find in a classic sheridan valve. All that seals them is the tight fit going in, which is the same thing that destroys them on the way.

Inside the valve is more of the same, I'll have more pictures and hopefully video on that when I do the next rebuild.

Last edited by RuleOfSines; 11-25-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Paintball is my Obsession

Awe, I was gonna ask you if you would part with that body. I was going to think up a few ideas for repair.

glad I can be of assistance as well!

I have been contemplating drilling out the 12g plug so a dummy 12g can be used for CA. But I would still like a spare that is unmodified though.

And Ty! Let me know when and if you are still ready or willing to tackle my project.

My nightmare is the only one I have ever seen or held. I often wondered how the comps worked with the feednecks and the full length feed tubes.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghp8ntballer View Post
Awe, I was gonna ask you if you would part with that body. I was going to think up a few ideas for repair.

glad I can be of assistance as well!

I have been contemplating drilling out the 12g plug so a dummy 12g can be used for CA. But I would still like a spare that is unmodified though.

And Ty! Let me know when and if you are still ready or willing to tackle my project.

My nightmare is the only one I have ever seen or held. I often wondered how the comps worked with the feednecks and the full length feed tubes.
I was kind of toying with the idea of drilling the center of the 12g plug as well, but the only way to get a spare one seems to be by buying another Nightmare, so I'll probably not be trying that out.

I really don't like the fact that the Comp has a feedneck, putting a hopper or feed tube on it really detracts from the look to me, and the capacity of the LB is just fine without a hopper. Without modifying the feedneck, you are unable to use the top tube as a paint magazine. The 12 gram cutout has two benefits however, swapping out a 12 gram is faster, and in my opinion much more importantly, the 12g piercer assembly can be installed and removed without having to go past the rear threads.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Brass Eagle