mcarterbrown.com  

Brass Eagle Brass Eagle owners can hang out here

Old 09-14-2017, 02:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Voted most ball-fondliest

Other than making space for the set screw in the hole for the link pin, I've always wondered - what's the reason for swapping the tube to the hammer and adding a shaft to carrier, when you could just add the shaft to the hammer?

I feel like I have a better way of accomplishing the set-screw/link pin mod, and adding the shaft to the hammer instead would just save a step. Since it's the custom piece anyway, then you can make the striking face whatever size you want.
My feedback: MCB / eBay
freedummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedummy View Post
Other than making space for the set screw in the hole for the link pin, I've always wondered - what's the reason for swapping the tube to the hammer and adding a shaft to carrier, when you could just add the shaft to the hammer?

I feel like I have a better way of accomplishing the set-screw/link pin mod, and adding the shaft to the hammer instead would just save a step. Since it's the custom piece anyway, then you can make the striking face whatever size you want.
According to MadMarty (patron saint of Brass Eagle), swapping the tube and adding the pin to the carrier ensures reliable latching.... adding the pin to the hammer didn't always equate to consistent latching between the carrier and hammer in his experience.

Rainmakers will keep on feeding and cycling regardless of latch up, it's inherent in the design... if you don't have everything in sync, you just keep pushing paint down the barrel until the valve finally opens. Then, splooge.

Also, on a conventional Rainmaker valve, the tube makes an adequate size striking surface... The Rocket valve has a much larger knob on the cup seal and it does a number on the hammer. Making a new hammer out of harder material might not be a bad idea either, but then it might chew up the lower receiver quicker.... they're really just not very good markers.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

My Collection

Last edited by Jordan; 09-14-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Glad I asked. In my head it doesn't seem like it should make a difference, but there you go.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedummy View Post
Glad I asked. In my head it doesn't seem like it should make a difference, but there you go.
The only other difference I could see was that the "tube" is lighter than the "pin"; not by a whole lot, but the hammer is not steel in the first place, so the weight change with the added part is a significant proportion.

If you made a hollow pin, it would need a thick wall to taper for the initial alignment, but that might allow you to make a single mod out of it. Some of the early mods were with shoulder bolts as mentioned, so having a lathe-turned part might be the difference.

On third thought, the tube is a larger diameter and matches the spring. The carrier is guided already by the ram. Putting the tube on the hammer makes it more accurately guided than with a smaller diameter pin. That way both sides are guided as much as possible.

some things are stickier than others

Last edited by Spider!; 09-14-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
On third thought...
Ahhhh. Yeah, there we go! Now I can see why MM would have gotten better alignment that way.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Brass Eagle