mcarterbrown.com  

Brass Eagle Brass Eagle owners can hang out here

Old 09-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

Prevent rainmaker self-destruction?

Howdy!

Are there any non-invasive modifications to help prevent a rainmaker from destroying itself? I have one in very nice shape that appears to have seen little use, and yet the insides had a nice coating of metal paste. Something is clearly breaking down very quickly, just not sure what bit.
RuleOfSines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Grease
Old 09-03-2017, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Antifriction mods to the hammer and carrier... Basically you're running standard Nelson parts, and you need anti-kink internals, but they don't make them for a Rainmaker so you need to make them yourself.

There are several threads on here about them, Spider! has a good writeup.

I'll be taking one of mine apart this afternoon, I can take some pictures if needed.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

My Collection
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Here's a shot of the final configuration:

The center post on the carrier, the steel part that attaches to the ram, comes out... usually with some heat, it's generally loctited in. With it out, you can install a pin that will slide into the carrier center post, and transfer the center post to the hammer. You'll need to drill and tap a 10-32 hole in the center of the hammer assembly. It's pretty easy to do on a drill press if you're careful and take your time... the biggest issue with the hammer is how soft it is, so this mod takes care of two issues - it gives you a hardened striking surface for the hammer to contact the cup seal pin, and it lets the hammer and carrier lock up together and stay relatively aligned.

The new center pin for the carrier will have to be made from something - a 10-32 shoulder bolt is generally the right dimensions, but they're hard to find. What I did was carefully shave the end of a 1/4" bolt down until it was the right dimensions to tap for 10-32, then trim to size and install with some Loctite. The inner diameter of the original center post is roughly 1/4" - you can likely get it closer with a lathe and appropriate steel rod, but I don't have either so that's what it got.

This picture shows what I've done, and how much damage the hammer can sustain from slamming into the valve pin. I have a Rocket valve in mine, so I'll be further modifying the hammer with a SS threaded insert to accept the carrier pin, which will give me a larger contact surface for the valve to hit.

And this last shot, where you can see the carrier and hammer are roughly parallel. If I had a center pin with close tolerances, it would be tighter - I have an actual Mad Marty modded carrier and the hammer and carrier are basically flat when locked together - but this is definitely much better than stock and it's enough to virtually eliminate any friction in the lower tube.

The two other things to do are to change the angle of the hammer latch where it contacts the carrier - two ways to do that mod - and to install a setscrew in the carrier where the bolt link hooks into.

The hammer latch/carrier mod is basically adjusting the two angles until they can latch with virtually no resistance. You can either mod the lip on the carrier, or mod the hammer latch, or both. I do both, and then give the carrier a light sand with some emery cloth to clean up any rough spots.

The setscrew keeps the bolt link from dipping forward and upwards when the carrier is driven forward upon firing - if you play around with it with the upper receiver, you'll see what happens. The screw gets installed in the opposite end of the hole the link sits in, and is adjusted to sit under the link and take up any slack when the carrier is fully forward.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

My Feedback

My Collection

Last edited by Jordan; 09-03-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Here's a shot of the final configuration:
Sweet, thanks! I'd like to actually try this marker out a bit, but I'd hate for it to rapidly destroy itself doing so.
RuleOfSines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuleOfSines View Post
Sweet, thanks! I'd like to actually try this marker out a bit, but I'd hate for it to rapidly destroy itself doing so.
It's definitely better to mod everything before excessive wear happens... I've got an upper receiver that's useless because of a deep groove worn into it from the bolt link slopping around.

My Feedback

My Collection
Old 09-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just picked up an RM and plan on tackling this mod soon. Great photos!

Question for Jordan: Think that groove may be repairable? Maybe a filler and sanding may make it viable again? Maybe a product like blue magic QuikSteel or something of that sort?

Not perfect - but better than scrap aluminum lol.
scarney1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarney1988 View Post
I just picked up an RM and plan on tackling this mod soon. Great photos!

Question for Jordan: Think that groove may be repairable? Maybe a filler and sanding may make it viable again? Maybe a product like blue magic QuikSteel or something of that sort?

Not perfect - but better than scrap aluminum lol.

Hey, thanks! There are a bunch of threads with this sort of info on here but very few with pictures, so I figured I'd take some and post them up with a writeup, I hope they help anyone else who enjoys old obsolete markers.

As for the groove - I should take some pictures of it. It's not terrible but it's definitely worn to the point that it's likely going to let the link wander too much and do more damage elsewhere. If I was to try to repair it, it would have to be with something pretty hard, as the link rubs in that spot every time the marker fires.

I've started lubing the link and slot on both of my Rainmakers with either Dow33 or Superlube - so far it seems to be cutting down on friction in that area.

My Feedback

My Collection
Old 09-14-2017, 01:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
As for the groove - I should take some pictures of it. It's not terrible but it's definitely worn to the point that it's likely going to let the link wander too much and do more damage elsewhere. If I was to try to repair it, it would have to be with something pretty hard, as the link rubs in that spot every time the marker fires.
I can't remember the spacing and thicknesses in there. Do you think you could either mill a pocket and install a delrin pad where the groove is, or put a sleeve around the link? The carrier-link mod should keep the forward-bottom side from chewing up at least.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I can't remember the spacing and thicknesses in there. Do you think you could either mill a pocket and install a delrin pad where the groove is, or put a sleeve around the link? The carrier-link mod should keep the forward-bottom side from chewing up at least.
It's possible that a shallow pocket could be milled and a thin pad pressed/glued in... one more reason to save up for a mill, I guess.

It would have to be fairly thin, I would think, but doable.

My Feedback

My Collection

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Brass Eagle