mcarterbrown.com  

Old 04-25-2015, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Eh?

Re-Hydro Dates.... Again.

So my local proshop informs me that having your tank re-hydro'd is now good for 5 years, instead of 3. My local field does not believe me. Also, my local field believes that the 13/3000 tanks need to be rehydro'd every 5 years.
Does someone cite the evidence from a TC website that supports the 5year re-hydro length and that the 13ci tanks are exempt from hydro testing? I cannot seem to find it myself...
I know this question has been asked a hundred times and I'm hoping someone has a link handy to the required info. Thanks a lot guys!
RoughNecks 'Dagman' #4
MCB Feedback
Dagdamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

well...i think your best bet would be to find the canadian permit number and research that...it would say how often it needs to be hydro tested.
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Keeper of souls of bees

It is ultimately up to the discretion of the field if they want to fill your tank or not regardless of the date or any exemptions.
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback

Kinda Loves DPrekel
The Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
It is ultimately up to the discretion of the field if they want to fill your tank or not regardless of the date or any exemptions.
Very true. Also I do not believe that the debate has ever truly ended on the 2" rule (container outer diameter under 2" need not be re-hydroed). It doesn't help that variances from manufacturer to manufacturer, possibly batch to batch, and also over the lifetime of your bottle, some 13 ci tanks are under 2" diameter, and others are not.

A quick google should find you what you need for the 5 year re-hydro on other tanks however.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

I spoke with a rep at Ninja yesterday. He confirmed that the 13/3k tanks are under 2" and are technically exempt, BUT they still recommend this and ANY tank be tested every 5 years and the reg rebuilt/replaced (obviously no reg on Co2 bottles). The only reason the 2x2 rule was created was because most hydrotesting facilities couldn't do bottles that small (and many still can't). The bottles aren't any less subject to age or wear.

One thing I'm unclear on is Chrome-moly steel tank exemptions. I think the info above really only applies to aluminum 3AL bottles. I think the Chrome-moly steel exemption was based on material and wear and tear, not size. I've seen 16 oz. Chrome-moly steel cylinders that still have the "Never needs retested" sticker on them. Much larger than 2" in diameter!

Planet Eclipse Tech and Planet Eclipse Service Center. Please PM me for any warranty work or other Planet Eclipse service needs.

I also work on other markers, PM for info.

Dealer for: Planet Eclipse, Ninja, GI/Empire/Tippmann/etc, Dye, Exalt, GoG, Valken, HK, GXG, CP, Push

PM me if you're looking for something. No, I will not sell it to you for cheaper than everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbo323 View Post
Part of owning a cocker is problem solving
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

I agree about the chrome-moly tanks. Every time I have them filled I have to tell the tech to read the DOT label. They always seem surprised.
SpyderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Apple Sucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderBoy View Post
I agree about the chrome-moly tanks. Every time I have them filled I have to tell the tech to read the DOT label. They always seem surprised.
my main question is: since the 2x2 is a rule by the American DOT, does the Canadian (Transport Canada) side have the same rule?
Old 04-28-2015, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
No, they have something better. TC has a rule that tanks under 1 liter (~61 cu in) are exempt from testing.

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...tml#post468445

But it is ultimately up to the discretion of the field/store if they want to fill it.
2hits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Apple Sucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hits View Post
No, they have something better. TC has a rule that tanks under 1 liter (~61 cu in) are exempt from testing.

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...tml#post468445

But it is ultimately up to the discretion of the field/store if they want to fill it.
interesting... the only problem is that you can't see the law without paying a 180$ fee to be able to see the entirety of it and not have a license to show it to anyone... that's why you don't hear about it much and we're following the DOT rules instead...
Old 09-30-2015, 05:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Reticulating Splines

CCM Fan
I went to royal city fire in New Westminister, BC to get my 13/3000 tank hydro tested because a local field wouldn't fill it. Royal City told me that under 2" diameter is exempt from hydro testing and showed me the following document. I showed it to the field owner and they now fill all 13/3000 tanks regardless of date stamp (yay!).

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Local Games » Canada