mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Carter Machine (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/carter-machine/)
-   -   Mini-comp shoots when pumped (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/carter-machine/204811-mini-comp-shoots-when-pumped.html)

BLachance75 06-07-2012 03:22 PM

Mini-comp shoots when pumped
 
So I just picked up a used Mini-comp and when I pump it the gun shoots. The hammer also catches when the gun isn't aired up. Any advice on what to look at first. I can post some pictures of the inside of the trigger frame, sear, bolt or whatever.

BLachance75 06-07-2012 03:41 PM

For a little more information,

If I pump slowly the gun won't shoot. However if I twist the pump handle slightly it will fire. I'm thinking the bolt may be worn down and will check and take a picture.

BLachance75 06-07-2012 04:19 PM

The bolt is not worn at all, very sharp square cut. The sear is also not worn.

worrptangl 06-07-2012 04:40 PM

Well the cocking when not aired is fine. That means you have a light main and heavy valve spring. No biggie.

Overall it sounds like you have a timing issue between the sear and the sear tripper on the trigger.

Pics could help.

BLachance75 06-07-2012 06:29 PM

I unscrewed the screw on the bottom of the trigger and that seemed to have fixed it. It is shooting good now.

One other question, what is the best kind of glue to use on the feed tube. It is completely off at the moment. I think I actually might tap a set screw onto the bottom of the feed block but for now I will have to use a little bit of glue.

PB Weasel 06-07-2012 06:58 PM

Pics of said minicomp??? :) I just want to see what "era" gun it is . . .

BLachance75 06-07-2012 07:04 PM

Not my picture, obviously, but it is this gun. I'll take my own tomorrow if it is nice out.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7199/6...e8da268a_z.jpg

Going to get some scrubby pads to put in the Whoosh, for extra rain absorbtion of course.

Inferno 06-07-2012 07:20 PM

hmm carter comp and carter's wife, do want.

lechooch 06-07-2012 08:05 PM

Nice comp!!!

BLachance75 06-07-2012 08:14 PM

Thanks, I'm happy with it so far. Going to put some paint through it tomorrow. It only has a .683 insert, the old style Sanchez inserts. I'm probably going to try and grab a set of the small inserts from Sanchez.

Donut SD 06-07-2012 09:32 PM

I want a comp like that with a whoosh tip.

worrptangl 06-08-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLachance75 (Post 2371619)
I unscrewed the screw on the bottom of the trigger and that seemed to have fixed it. It is shooting good now.

One other question, what is the best kind of glue to use on the feed tube. It is completely off at the moment. I think I actually might tap a set screw onto the bottom of the feed block but for now I will have to use a little bit of glue.

A few dabs of super glue should hold nicely. If you can use it on a DW with a T6rs barrel tip I don't see why it wouldn't work here.

Also does it slide in the whole way or is there some resistance towards the end, but still a little ways to go? If there is then it might need a little extra force to press fit in.

BLachance75 06-08-2012 09:41 AM

It slides in and out easily. I'll put a little dab of super glue then take it out back.

More questions,

How does the front of the Whoosh come off? Is it threaded or press fit?

Will these inserts will work in the old style barrel? Sanchez Inserts I know that I may need to get the ends beveled.

worrptangl 06-08-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLachance75 (Post 2372321)
It slides in and out easily. I'll put a little dab of super glue then take it out back.

More questions,

How does the front of the Whoosh come off? Is it threaded or press fit?

Will these inserts will work in the old style barrel? Sanchez Inserts I know that I may need to get the ends beveled.

The whoosh is taken on/off by the set screws that are on it.

Those inserts are the ones Earon used. If you add an oring maybe two you might be able to get away with not beveling the inserts right away, but I always recommend it anyways on Carter's.

BLachance75 06-08-2012 12:35 PM

I meant the front of the Whoosh, near the barrel tip. Does that come off.

worrptangl 06-08-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLachance75 (Post 2372458)
I meant the front of the Whoosh, near the barrel tip. Does that come off.

It should come off with the shroud as one piece. If not then I'm not positive maybe try unscrewing it?

Elemental 08-26-2012 03:37 PM

I'm bringing this thread back up because I bought this gun and its giving my the same problem.

I tried adjusting the screw above your trigger finger and switching to a non-beveled insert did nothing. And I don't have any larger o-rings to try. But I highly doubt its the o-ring causing the problem because the gun shoots (i.e. the hammer is released) before I even get the pump handle halfway forward again.

Any advice?

worrptangl 08-26-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elemental (Post 2455906)
I'm bringing this thread back up because I bought this gun and its giving my the same problem.

I tried adjusting the screw above your trigger finger and switching to a non-beveled insert did nothing. And I don't have any larger o-rings to try. But I highly doubt its the o-ring causing the problem because the gun shoots (i.e. the hammer is released) before I even get the pump handle halfway forward again.

Any advice?

Your not holding the trigger are you?LOL

Seriously though check the trigger set screws. If the forward adjustment screw is to far back that could cause it to trip the sear too early. But you will have to adjust the the sear tripper also. you can't have it in too far and you have to make sure that the slope is facing rearward.

Elemental 08-26-2012 05:49 PM

I've done all that. Ok, here's what I've been able to figure out. What I think is happening is that the sear is tripping on the trigger block and not on the small block that it is supposed to trip on. If you look at the pictures below, you can see that the top of the trigger block is worn near the back. And after fiddling with it disassembled, I can tell that based on the position of the hammer during the pump return, that it is shooting right when it reaches the trigger block where it is worn.

https://i.imgur.com/L1YqRl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vAjixl.jpg

worrptangl 08-26-2012 06:04 PM

OH you have that model of trigger!!!!!!!!!!! Yep it's catching the back of the trigger. With the trigger in place and the rail bolted on no body does the trigger have up and down play?

Elemental 08-26-2012 06:32 PM

There's a little up and down play, but even if I hold the trigger all the way down (giving the hammer/sear as much clearance as possible) it still catching the trigger.

Sounds like this is a known issue. Does Carter have a way of fixing this?

worrptangl 08-26-2012 06:44 PM

My recommendation would be either shoot them and email or call the number on their site. My guess is some minor machining will nee to be done, but Earon might have a quick fix you can do. If you email them include those pictures.


It might be enough to just take a little bit off the bottom of the sear so it doesn't hit, but don't quote me on that.

Elemental 08-26-2012 06:46 PM

Ok. I'll give them a call tomorrow. How are they about answering the phone?

worrptangl 08-26-2012 06:57 PM

Your probably going to leave a voicemail but Lauren is good about getting back to you.

pk5 08-26-2012 07:01 PM

Your body may need modification, sound like this is having the same issue as EDAKA mini comp. Do you want to mail it in or do you want to go over the detail over the phone? Have you email lauren all the photos yet? She would need to pass them along to Earon, but I think this is the same thing that was happening to EDAKA mini comp.

SeuDog 05-12-2013 11:38 PM

Were you able to get the problem fixed?

Elemental 05-21-2013 11:23 AM

Yep. I sent it back to Carter and he got it shooting right. He also mentioned that this was one of the first MiniComps he built (back in 05 or 06). It shoots great now.

SeuDog 05-21-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elemental (Post 2713832)
Yep. I sent it back to Carter and he got it shooting right. He also mentioned that this was one of the first MiniComps he built (back in 05 or 06). It shoots great now.

Thank you for that information. I have the first mini comp made and will contact Earon after he gets better to take a look at the marker. Thank you again.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC