-   Carter Machine (
-   -   Ducks / Reduxs (

Schlomo 01-27-2009 01:13 PM

Ducks / Reduxs
I just realized, that there are 2 different Ducks. Carter Duck and Redux. Could someone enlighten me about the differences and what they're having in common. Also any info about their history is appreciated.

Thank you - Andreas

Heebs 01-27-2009 01:15 PM

Carter Duck, is as close to the original Dave Loo Duck as you get. The Carter does not have an insert barrel or barrel kit leaving you with a huge bore. You can get an in handle slam changer for it.

The Redux is more like the Duck 2.0. Phantom guts, a lot of look and feel of a Carter but costs less. Also has a Freak insert bored barrel.

Both come standard with inhandle changers.

Schlomo 01-27-2009 01:31 PM

Thanks Heebs!

So, did I get you right, they're both followers of a "Dave Loo Duck"?

But what is the "Desert Duck"? And what is the "Duck 2.0"?

May I ask you about the quality of the different versions, the price difference is huge!

Clearush 01-27-2009 01:35 PM

duck 2.0 is a Redux

David Loo duck is know as a Desert Duck

idkfa 01-27-2009 01:36 PM

Actually, from what I have heard, the new Carter Ducks have rather tight bores, so rollouts are not as big of a concern as you might think.

The difference in quality is likely minimal (probably identical), they both are great machinists. Carter hand makes his guns (not sure about Mongo) and has a history and fanatical following. Mongo is newer on the block, but has proven himself with great products. I think most of the reason in the price difference is due to not wanting to make them (they are apparently a pain in the *** to make) and to keep the exclusivity of the Loo based guns. I have not handled a Redux, but based on my Box Gun (minus a user caused issue :o), the Carter Duck will be very high quality.

c6quad 01-27-2009 01:42 PM

Heebs pretty much said it all. the Redux is far cheaper(price wise) than the Carter Duck. plus, the Redux uses Freak inserts and has a removable barrel. the Carter has a fixed barrel.

quality is top notch with both. i own both guns and just because the Redux is cheaper doesn't mean the quality is less. Steve Brett(the Redux maker) stands behind his product and goes far beyond to make sure you are happy with your gun. IMHO the Redux is the way to go!

WilD 01-27-2009 01:43 PM

Just to clarify, there are really three types of Ducks, not two. (as far as I know)
1. The original David Loo DD68 Kamikazee Shooters, nicknamed the "Desert Duck"
2. The Carter made Desert Ducks, which are close to the original. Carter was also involved in completing some of the originals I believe
3. The Redux. A new design that outwardly looks a lot like the original but is really a new gun.

Schlomo 01-27-2009 01:43 PM

Allright, the fog is clearing up :)
Thank you guys!

idkfa 01-27-2009 01:45 PM

Basically, if you love Carters and went to spend $2500, get a Carter Duck. If you want a nice performing gun with all the features that Phantoms have, get a Redux. If you love Carters and don't have $2500 to spend, but want a kick *** pistol anyways, do what I did and get a Box Gun. :D

DSA 01-27-2009 01:54 PM

I am very disappointed in my MCB bretheren , you guys forgot all about the "Ghetto Duck!" Sheeesh and you call yourselves oldschool.