mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 01-23-2015, 12:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Micro Phantom Qs

Looking to get back into the game and I've always wanted to play with a micro phantom pistol. I've got a .45 frame VSC in the closet and it could use parts.

- Do you have to go dropout valve? Would VSC throw the balance off too much?
- Whats the best barrel length for a phantom pistol so as to keep it pistol'y but still manage to hit things without terrible efficiency?

Is "Cí Bored .745 ID Barrel" on the CCI website supposed to mean Freak Compatible?

Anybody hate microphantoms and got a compelling reason I shouldn't spend $50?
nelsonizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonizer View Post
Looking to get back into the game and I've always wanted to play with a micro phantom pistol. I've got a .45 frame VSC in the closet and it could use parts.

- Whats the best barrel length for a phantom pistol so as to keep it pistol'y but still manage to hit things without terrible efficiency?

Is "Cí Bored .745 ID Barrel" on the CCI website supposed to mean Freak Compatible?

Anybody hate microphantoms and got a compelling reason I shouldn't spend $50?
The drop out valve is all personal preference. VSC setup isnt going to be much heavier at all. Though it will give you more options like being able to use a 3.5oz tank if you run out of 12ies. Barrel length is also personal preference, you simply have to get used to pointing the gun with a shorter barrel. And yes, c'bored means its freak bored.
Mysterion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
I'm Stock Classy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonizer View Post

A traditional Micro Phantom uses a dropout to make it more of a small pistol. As mentioned, you can run a VSC - it's all personal preference.

Also, traditional Micro Phantoms use a 6" barrel, but I wouldn't recommend it. I have a C-bore (Freak-bored) 8" on my micro, and it works fine - provided the paint is decent and matched to whatever insert I'm using. Getting the correct paint-to-bore match makes all the difference. CCI doesn't make a 6" C-bore barrel.

I think it's a great little gun, and reminds me of the old days when we all used Nel-Spot pistols.

Get awesome Stock-Class Patches HERE

Get awesome Paintball Veteran 10-Year Patches HERE

Check out the Stock-Class HQ on Facebook HERE

"There's playing paintball with a stock-class gun, and then there's playing stock-class paintball. Big difference."
- Slim

My Feedback
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'd recommend going for it, they are a lot of fun. The barrel length is preference. Slim is right a 6" won't perform as well as an 8" Freak but they make the gun feel even smaller. I have each an like them all. It's a nice light set up for long days and big games.
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Stimmt so.

Dude, they're a blast to play with. Thinking about it, I should probably get one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle911 View Post
I would also request common sense, but that's the most endangered species of all.

MCB Feedback
RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Micro-phantom setups are a blast, the only difference between dropout and VSC config is that the VSC is a couple ounces heavier, but puts the weight more forward instead of over your wrist. Negligible difference with a 45 grip, you'd notice more with a lightweight AR grip on.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I run a micro and it's awesome, you are really light and fast. I feel disadvantaged when going against semi's when there is distance involved, but once I close in I feel like it's not fair to the semi anymore.

This is my first SC marker, so I went with the drop out for simplicity. This way I don't panic and drop the bucket when I'm trying to change CO2 under pressure. Since you already have VSC I would just go with that and get a bucket later if you decide you want to save weight.

I have the 6" barrel and detent rings which work fine for me. The accuracy is still really good if you are shooting a longer distance, but (at least for me) running a pistol means I am getting in really close so I try to chrono between 165 - 185 so it's a little more 'polite'.

Yes, you lose efficiency with the shorter barrel, but I figure that since I'm not shooting as much because I'm in so close I don't need to worry about it that much. I probably get 25 shots per 12ie and I usually shoot less than 25 in a 20 minute game.

MCB - Feedback
avocadohead.com
tunka
RustyTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
is my hero

PPS Fan
I'm currently running a micro setup with an 8" c-bore and dropout. Lots of fun.

Here's a vid from yesterday's shenanigans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SOS3X4iNmk

Feedback thread: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by Manning; 01-25-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Are those 1 piece 12 round feeds compatible with drop-out valves? It seems like the plastic end cap would interfere.
nelsonizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
is my hero

PPS Fan
Mike has to mill them out for you but he will do that. My other one had the 12rnd feed.

Feedback thread: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI