mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 04-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
anti-social socialite....

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
first time playing with a phantom

i have wanted to try a phantom for years but just never did
but a few months ago i picked up a phantom on the BST and i set it up with a CO2 12 Gram Changer and freak bored 11" barrel and a home made stock.
shot it in the yard and whatnot and thought it was nice and all, something different to have fun with.
well last weekend was castle conquest and and my group went down like we always try and do.
i have played pump before but with snipers and it never really did much for me i always kinda felt naked out there with a pump.

well my cocker was having some problems at the field so i said what the hell let me try the phantom out.... WHAT A BLAST!
i just went out with a shotgun bandoleer loaded up with 10 round tubes and a small pouch of 12 grams and a dump pouch for empty's
what a light setup it was i felt great out there and i was really impressed with just how straight the phantom shot... or i was just being more careful with my shots due to the limited paint... I am not sure but i have to say i really liked it alot.
im a big guy and i felt fast got right up there on the castle and clipped a few nice head shots in the windows.
i don't know why i didn't feel naked out there with the phantom like i did with my sniper? maybe because i was a lot more mobile with such a lite setup?

but anyway i think the phantom needle is in my arm for good now..

just wanted to share my story

my feedback
PitBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mr Gullible

Fan of EMR
This is too funny. Both of us getting our first taste of a Phantom at the same event.

I've been wanting to get my hands on a Phantom for a while as well and finally scored one on Thursday before heading down to EMR. My Kryptonite pump never got any field time because I was either shooting my Phantom or my mech Ion.

The Phantom is so nimble and I love the little popping noise it makes when it shoots. I also think I'm going to run with a smaller tank. The 48/4500 I used was still over half full at the end of the day.

I really don't see the Kryptonite making it out to the field any longer unless the Phantom craps out on me for some reason.

my markers

Last edited by ToyBox; 04-27-2015 at 12:54 PM. Reason: cleaned up first sentence.
ToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
try a 12gram set up toybox... i really liked it, if you want lite weight its great

my feedback
Old 04-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Glad to hear we have two more converts!

The light weight and reliability are some of my favorite things about the Phantom. Do what you can to keep it light. I love stock class for this, or if you play open class I recommend a 13/3000 with a 50 round APP hopper or a sport shot. I like the APP for its size but I don't have to bother carrying pods with a sport shot. It's a common mistake to use a large tank and full size hopper when playing open class. This slows you and makes you feel like you have a disadvantaged semi. In a big game it would keep you from going back for paint and air but I think you will find you shoot much less with pumps.

13ci are short so a reversed drop forward or reg extender can be helpful. There are also some tanks now in odd sizes that range between 13 and 48ci. I think a 17 and 32ci.
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Underdog? I got your back

Welcome to the family.

Here is where I started with mine and short of this last weekend, really haven't played with anything else since. My sniper feels like a tank now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBull View Post
i think the phantom needle is in my arm for good now..
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Voted most ball-fondliest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFink View Post
sniper feels like a tank now...
That's the same thought I had when I borrowed a buddies T2 w/ Rotor and 68/45. Shot great, pump was like butter, but I was blown away by the weight. Right back to my small hopper and 13/3k the next game. I'd like to pick up a stock class feed and a 12g changer stock, if I can ever snag one cheap (unlikely, I know)
My feedback: MCB / eBay
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
I play strictly stock class with my phantom and wouldn't have it any other way. I love the mobility that comes with this setup. I have converted several of my buddies to stock class since I started. Welcome to the madness

My Feedback:https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
charlesincharge1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mr Gullible

Fan of EMR
I did find myself fairly limited assaulting the castle with the Phantom. At long range, it just wasn't accurate enough to allow me to hit targets that I felt I should have been able to hit (I blame it on dimpled Graffiti). This left me with the option of either shooting a number of times hoping that something would land or trying my luck and pushing well within my opponents range.

As a result, I spent just a bit more time playing with my mech Ion this past weekend because it was easier to throw more paint at those long ranges, increasing my chances of making contact.

I plan on using the Phantom more in games where the action happens at slightly shorter ranges or when the quality of the paint is better.
ToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
If you get good paint going through that phantom you'll pick targets off at those distances as well. I usually don't have to shoot at those distances though because I am constantly moving and advancing which I find so much easier when you have the light setup of the phantom. You can be a little more aggressive and get up in peoples "personal" space when you're not hauling around 10 extra lbs. Hope you stick with your phantom because the more you play with it the better you will got. Plus you have so many options when it comes to these guns whether it be open or stock class.

My Feedback:https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
charlesincharge1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
I did find myself fairly limited assaulting the castle with the Phantom. At long range, it just wasn't accurate enough to allow me to hit targets that I felt I should have been able to hit (I blame it on dimpled Graffiti). This left me with the option of either shooting a number of times hoping that something would land or trying my luck and pushing well within my opponents range.

As a result, I spent just a bit more time playing with my mech Ion this past weekend because it was easier to throw more paint at those long ranges, increasing my chances of making contact.

I plan on using the Phantom more in games where the action happens at slightly shorter ranges or when the quality of the paint is better.
i kinda had the exact opposite feeling, i felt my semi was all over the place and once i went out with the phantom i felt i was dialed in.
i was putting paint right where i wanted it.
this years paint was much better than stuff in the past years imo

my feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI