mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 03-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Paintball Player

I can't recall how many Snipers and derivatives (including a Superstocker) I've owned.

In the end I find I shoot more people with the Phantom in a stock class configuration. I don't really analyze the reasons, it just works for me so I go with it.
rathbaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ole' Papa Pump

I'm a die hard Sterling fan....for open class but when it comes to playing stock class it's the Phantom hands down. Last year I bought a Sterling SC Deluxe to use primarily set up as Stock Class and it does wonderful with a couple of mods I think I was getting near 38 shots out of a Leland 12 gram where as with my Phantom I get 35 shots or so, from that stand point it is really negligible. When I play SC I try to go pistol style so the Phantom just felt more natural to me than the Stacked Tube design of the Sterling (in pistol form) but with a tank on the bottom of the grip frame the Sterling feels more natural for me. Yes there is a huge difference in the way the 2 different styles feel but I play with them set up in 2 different ways. With the Phantom I probably have a higher shot to elimination ratio because I'm playing all sneaky and stuff but if I have one of my Sterling's in my hand, I'm that guy who's at the front of the line taking people out but I waste more paint playing that style.

Started with a Splatmaster, moved onto a Nelspot 007, then came the Autocockers, then a STERLING Pump, next was a Bob Long defiant then a PM7. As of now I have 10 Sterling Pumps, 2 Phantoms for SC, a CCM SS-25, a PGP and a Sovereign 3.

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
turbowagonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Play for Phun

Haven't owned snipers or cocker pumps but have tried them from friends. Even an Ion pump, mag pump, T2. I bought my first phantom for about 50 bucks. Have upgraded it since then and still have it. I've had a spyder detent mod installed and installed a spyder detent mod myself on my new (Used) phantom with freak barrels on both with the blue main spring. I love them both. The pump stroke may not be smooth but here's the thing, I actually don't like the real smooth pump stroke...when I tried those cocker pumps being used to the phantom, I slam the pump handle so hard I feel like I'm going to break them, lol. The cocker pumps to me seem more cumbersome. I don't like the back block moving unless you have a half block or mid block then that's fine. Phantoms are virtually maintenance free and simple. I don't have to do any tweaking really. Just go out and play. Since I've gotten my first phantom, I've just added upgrades and haven't really done any maintenance like cup seal replacement, lol. They just freaking work and I love it. I had an Azodin KP2 and that broke and had issues everytime I hit the field, well it's an Azodin KP I guess I shouldn't have expected too much. I'm currently building a 3rd phantom from parts that go on sale. Reliable, simple, fun...what more could you ask for.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

A very smooth pump stroke kind of begs the question, "why pump?"
I play pump to make the game more interesting, and because there is a certain satisfaction that comes with racking a round. A really smooth open class pump is pretty close to playing with a semi, and it doesn't give the satisfying mechanical element.
I used to play with my CCM when I was worried about getting outgunned, and I felt insecure on the field. As a result, I didn't play well, and the CCM was kind of a dysfunctional crutch. I only bring stockclass guns now, and it is a much more interesting challenge.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Brumski

Send a message via AIM to Melvin

If the pump stroke on a phantom is really that much of a concern all I can say is "phuzzard".
Feedback
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html
Paintball
Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/melvin.brumski

Things I would like to purchase with American dollars:
1: Dragon barrel plugs!

I moved across the country, if you live in Louisiana hit me up!
Melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Posting more than playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
I play pump to make the game more interesting, and because there is a certain satisfaction that comes with racking a round. A really smooth open class pump is pretty close to playing with a semi, and it doesn't give the satisfying mechanical element.
I used to play with my CCM when I was worried about getting outgunned, and I felt insecure on the field. As a result, I didn't play well, and the CCM was kind of a dysfunctional crutch. I only bring stockclass guns now, and it is a much more interesting challenge.
Very well said, and I agree. Where I live, there is a woods field 20ish minutes away that only opens during the warm months, and the only other option right now is an indoor smaller-sized airball field that is jam-packed with rentals every weekend. So you do 20 v 20 and have 9 kids piled behind you at home...but it's still paintball and I always have a good time. Not the best conditions for stock class play. However, the other local field which has been closed for moving into a larger location should be really great, with an added outdoor "rec ball" field. So I definitely related to the feeling out-gunned and insecure on the field, and a CCM or CCM'd/auto-triggered Sniper can definitely be a crutch.

To the smoothness thing, like gandhi77 said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandhi77 View Post
The pump stroke may not be smooth but here's the thing, I actually don't like the real smooth pump stroke...when I tried those cocker pumps being used to the phantom, I slam the pump handle so hard I feel like I'm going to break them, lol.
This has always been me when a Sniper comes into my hands. Have to re-learn that less force is necessary to cycle it and feel like I am going to break the thing. I do enjoy them, however. I just always miss the Phantom when I don't have one, and now that winter has come to an end the weather is begging more and more for stock class.

MCB +42/-0
PBN +53/-0
eBay +447/-0
iamthelazerviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
I absolutely prefer my Phantom. It's simple, dog-reliable, and with the stock class setup I run effectively weightless.

Not to mention that I'm an elitist dick and have to admit I look down on the whole trend of might-as-well-be-semi tuned CCM pump play. :P

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Villiage Idiot

Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
I have yet to find a Nelson that feels right to me in an open class setup but I really love Nelsons for pistol and SC setups.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
I play pump to make the game more interesting, .
Seriously? What's the point of pump if your stroke is too smooth? Seriously?

This is laughable.

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with All the other pigs
Singing One more time around
Might do it
One more time around
Might make it

Soundgarden
RIP Mr. Cornell. thank you.

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
Law
Where's Tug Contest Winner

I like the single tube design and that it is right feed or at least mine is, it aims well. The build quality and modular design make me happy as well. I've never had the pleasure of feeling up a CCM, but I'm sure I'd like that too for different reasons.
Law is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI