mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 09-08-2017, 08:05 PM   #61 (permalink)
Posting more than playing

I just can't seem to ever justify owning more than one marker. Many folks here are gun whites but that's just not me. Had 3 markers, just sold my Sniper I built after I bought back my favorite Phantom. They're just so versatile and simple, it's just about all I will ever need.

MCB +42/-0
PBN +53/-0
eBay +447/-0
iamthelazerviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #62 (permalink)
Stock Class Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthelazerviking View Post
I just can't seem to ever justify owning more than one marker. Many folks here are gun whites but that's just not me. Had 3 markers, just sold my Sniper I built after I bought back my favorite Phantom. They're just so versatile and simple, it's just about all I will ever need.
I lean this same direction. I have my favorite (a phantom), and I've had a backup though I've never needed one. I guess it could always be a loaner. Now I've got this KP3. I just came in from attempting to chrono it in the back yard. It's consistent, but I just didn't get the nuances. I'll watch some YouTube videos tonight. I finally got it just below 300 fps and that'll have to do for tomorrow.

Near Houston TX? Check out the
Houston Area Stock Class Group
Mithuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:59 PM   #63 (permalink)
phantom phanatic

Send a message via AIM to Phantom1313

To address the original question: YES....I prefer a phantom to nearly every other marker.

Part of this is probably my bias since a phantom was my first pump that I got really comfortable and confident playing with. Prior to owning a phantom, I had messed with pgp's, trracers and the like, but none really made me feel like I could hang with the semi-crew and be a competitive force. Once I got hold of my first phantom, a VSC set up with a t-stock, I was instantly in love and it rapidly transformed my game. I had been a lover of semi play, with electros being my main steeze...but something drastically changed the first time I got an elimination while using a phantom against a reasonably skilled player....it was earth shattering to think I could play for a fraction of the cost (in terms of paint) and that I could get better FASTER by forcing myself to be out-gunned on the regular, meaning it would come down to actual playing skills, and not accuracy (or success) by volume of fire. Oh and, the light/highly maneuverable set up that is the phantom was a welcome vacation from my bulky mech & electronic markers.....

The other thing for me is the sheer stupid simplicity and reliability of these markers. Though I own two, I have never needed to swap out due to an unfixable issue. I have, of course, had to make small field-side repairs; but they have been so rare that I can't even recall when the last one was, and they are generally obvious things like o-rings....5 minute fixes or less. Basically, no guess work on "what else is broken" was a major bonus to me, particularly after magically frying the board on one of my electros in the midst of a heated round of play.

99% of the time the second phantom is a loaner for whoever failed to bring a pump or wants to give it a try. Every single person I've ever handed a phantom to thinks it is either:

a) "cool"
b) "a neat paintball sniper rifle that shoots lasers into faces"
c) "friggin' badass"

so, yes, I might be an attention whore, but the phantom is a real looker and intrigues most folks...even the guys with the high-end guns like to mess with it and ask lots of questions. It definitely starts conversations and possibly could bring paintball world peace by bridging the gap between those paint-wasting field hookers and the folks who pump.

10/7/17 update: I re-re-reaffirmed my love for my phantoms today. Ran mostly stock-class, did a few open class games too. Got above 10 eliminations for the day (which is rare for me these days) but only seems to happen with a phantom in hand.

I make carbon fiber feed tubes & ghostrings for phantoms:https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ost-rings.html

My feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Last edited by Phantom1313; 10-07-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Phantom1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #64 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Yay!!! Plus the referees like to make folklore around Phantom users
"Look out for that guy, every time he shoots it's a homing missile right at your face"
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:03 AM   #65 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthelazerviking View Post
...Phantom. They're just so versatile and simple, it's just about all I will ever need.
Amen.
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #66 (permalink)

update: I finally got my ID Ripper cocker...played 1 game...needed to turn it to a pump. immediately enjoyed the gameS more as I put a Sanchez stick feed.

Still, I miss my phantom(currently with Mike as the Reg-ASA being serviced). FancyFingers has doomed me to love stock class as that was my first ever experience in pump play.
binson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:55 PM   #67 (permalink)
Post Whore

i can recall over years main reason for some not going autococker route was do to fine tuning of guns in early years. but as years went one people did not mind tuning the gun since like balance of gun with hopper.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #68 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binson View Post
update: I finally got my ID Ripper cocker...played 1 game...needed to turn it to a pump. immediately enjoyed the gameS more as I put a Sanchez stick feed.

Still, I miss my phantom(currently with Mike as the Reg-ASA being serviced). FancyFingers has doomed me to love stock class as that was my first ever experience in pump play.
I agree on stock class, its just the best. I am growing tired of playing against the electronic tourney crowd though. I'm loosing my patience with people not calling out on the one hit I managed to land on them, then lighting me up as I yell for a ref to check them. I long for the chance to play a simple 3 on 3 or even 1 on 1 against another good natured stock player.
estin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #69 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by estin View Post
I agree on stock class, its just the best. I am growing tired of playing against the electronic tourney crowd though. I'm loosing my patience with people not calling out on the one hit I managed to land on them, then lighting me up as I yell for a ref to check them. I long for the chance to play a simple 3 on 3 or even 1 on 1 against another good natured stock player.
I agree with your last sentence and to remedy cheaters, change the game in your mind to "Target Practice" and give yourself a pat on the back every time you get a hit on them, even if it bounces or sinks into their clothing

Hit em twice or more until they feel guilty and call themselves out. Even if they don't, just plink and plink, move closer and closer and have them pissin their pants or panicking and yelling about you and meanwhile dodge, move carefully but aggressively, imagine the correct timing to move, imagine their locations, and signal to your teammates behind you "hey, keep this guy down while I go surrender him"
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI