mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 09-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
Geezer

Send a message via MSN to Deadshot Matt

As one of the few original owners of one of these I knew from talking to Robert C. in early 2017 when he sold the last one he had put on ebay. I was able to get a stock class breech new in dust black from cci and it went direct to Bob to mill it. I got the barrel cocking rod & rear Picatinny style rail from him. I then bought all new dust parts from CCI and guts from Mike just before Supergame 50 in May of '17. I later sold the breech & barrel to Andrew and he re- ano'd it to current color. It's an awesome sniper for FSR. It has since changed hands.
Deadshot Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:27 PM   #22 (permalink)

I've talked to ADN about doing a phantom-based marker.
I think he's interested because of the simplicity of making it work for all the other nelson-based pumps out there.
I love my FSR phantom, but would change out the body for a mag-fed in a heartbeat.
bowcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quick question:
If you were designing an FSR phantom that used mags, would you go with TIPX mags (less capacity and less reliable, but smaller than DAM), DAM mags (HUGE, but high capacity and very reliable), or SSR mags (smallest and most reliable, but only 6rd capacity)?
Old 09-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wasteland Warrior

Why not take a page from Sellsword and do the Half DAM mags? Smaller profile with the benefits of the DAM mags.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
Negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowcycle View Post
Quick question:
If you were designing an FSR phantom that used mags, would you go with TIPX mags (less capacity and less reliable, but smaller than DAM), DAM mags (HUGE, but high capacity and very reliable), or SSR mags (smallest and most reliable, but only 6rd capacity)?
Id say SSR mags are going to be impossible, since they require a specialized breech and bolt to hold them and lock them in place. Not to mention they sell out almost immediately whenever Bill does a run.

TiPX or Zetas are probably a better choice. There are multiple options for them and they are relatively inexpensive.

Another idea is Milsig magazines, of which there are multiple sizes. They are also extremely reliable and you dont have to flip them like the DAM mags.
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:48 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucey View Post
Why not take a page from Sellsword and do the Half DAM mags? Smaller profile with the benefits of the DAM mags.
That's a thought...
Old 09-11-2018, 08:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
Geezer

Send a message via MSN to Deadshot Matt

After much discussion with Mike C. a year ago it would be a better option to use the Revolution guts to build around as it does not require cocking. It's a semi auto that just need a major body re-design to make it mag fed. The breech/body as is will not allow enough length to fit a mag & the grip frame is not friendly in it's current config. The attempt was made to see if a ccm mag could be used & it failed.
Deadshot Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:55 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadshot Matt View Post
After much discussion with Mike C. a year ago it would be a better option to use the Revolution guts to build around as it does not require cocking. It's a semi auto that just need a major body re-design to make it mag fed. The breech/body as is will not allow enough length to fit a mag & the grip frame is not friendly in it's current config. The attempt was made to see if a ccm mag could be used & it failed.
I agree that the Revolution would be easier, primarily because the breech is already in front of the frame. Put a bolt handle on the bolt and take away the pump mechanics and all you have to do is design a breech for whatever mag system you want to use (and maybe lengthen the bolt just a touch).
However, not a lot of guys have Revolutions, so you're talking about a major investment for most people to get to a mag-fed Revolution. At that point, you're probably just as well off going with one of the CCM designs.

However, thousands of us have Phantoms. So if you could design a body and bolt that move the breech in front of the frame, is bolt-action, accepts whatever mag design folks choose, and is $300 or less; I'm guessing plenty of people would jump on board. They'd get to keep their nicely-tuned phantoms just the way they are, but switch out the body and bolt and fire away.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
I know it's a little off topic, but does any of your bolt action phantom have a vertical ASA?
If so, where do you route the line?
It seems like the bolt handle would hit the standard stainless line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdave06 View Post
I think for most here, I'd use the term "collect" loosely. It's more like hoarding.
Get Your Splatmaster Figure 8 Replacement
My Feedback
XEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #30 (permalink)
Wasteland Warrior

I think it would be a close call, but I believe the majority of kits have the handle on the left side, which avoids most of that. You could also run macroline or a custom line which angles down sooner to prevent interference.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI