mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 01-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #101 (permalink)
Ole' Papa Pump

I talked with Mike yesterday and I didn't ask the specific question about if his retirement rumors are true or not but in casual conversation he did mention June a couple times. He also mentioned he'll be 70 as he chuckled so I took that as his retirement is going to happen. It is a bummer but then again, in my mind, he is one of the founders of paintball when it comes to the reliable markers of the 1980's because that's when I started playing and could only dream of owning a Phantom one day.

On the rumor of only 50 bodies left to be made into Phantoms there are going to be more because he said he found more extrusions that will end up becoming markers. I think he said either 249 or 299 total are what are left but there are already teams having him make Phantoms for the entire team.

Just my 2 cents on this whole "retirement for a true legend of the game we all love"

Started with a Splatmaster, moved onto a Nelspot 007, then came the Autocockers, then a STERLING Pump, next was a Bob Long defiant then a PM7. As of now I have 10 Sterling Pumps, 2 Phantoms for SC, a CCM SS-25, a PGP and a Sovereign 3.

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
turbowagonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #102 (permalink)
Grumpy Lurker

Guess I should just fire up the credit card and make a call this week to make sure I get in on one of the last ones...
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM   #103 (permalink)
Old gear!

I think retiring the phantom is well - deserved, all things considered. I wouldn't mind having all that IP handed off to a reliable party, though, or archived on Vintage Rex as an extreme option. That way, if ten years from now, the supply of power tubes or springs runs dry, we can get a new batch made. I can always reverse engineer a product (as I've done to far more industrial products than I usually care to admit) but it's always better to have the original info to get the tolerance stack just right.

The phantom... I already have most of it copied to my drive at work, and should the need arise, I'll bribe the CMM guy. But the Revolution... I can imagine issues of someone runs out of spare parts for those.
flyweightnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM   #104 (permalink)
MCB Member

I thought a full CAD model of the phantom was stored on Simon's servers. That would go a long way in remaking marks in the future.
ilivlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM   #105 (permalink)
Old gear!

It is... but if it's the model I'm thinking of, my former roommate just very carefully took a pair of calipers to his Phantom and put it all in Solidworks. Original prints (with tolerances) are much better.
flyweightnate is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI