mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 12-27-2018, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question about phantom!

Hey guys,

Iíve always been interested in a phantom so I decided to snag one. So I have a few questions.

1) I went ahead and slapped a 12 gram in it and loaded up a few balls. When I pumped the handle back, it stayed there. Do phantoms not have any spring forward? Is it a full manual pump stroke? Orrrr is mine messed up?

2) Iíll take it these guns are kind of hard on paint, right? Should I just use regular field paint, not the high end brittle stuff?

3) Any other general tips or tricks for phantom owners I should know?

Thanks guys!

Connor
conpeez9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Pump should spring forward make sure you have everything installed properly. And that you are not missing anything.

Older Phantoms can be hard on paint it depends on what TPC (Tuned Port Compensator) and barrel combination you use. (Open face TPC and Detent rings will make a phantom more finicky on paint)

With a “C-bore” as CCI calls a Freak ready barrel and new style TPC it will allow you to shoot super brittle paint. I shoot valken Redemption Pro all the way down to 60* without issues.

Stock silver springs in a clean Phantom properly sized Cbore barrel and the phantom will make magic happen for 12g play.

You really want to make the phantom fool proof get the ASP “Air Soldier Products” Detent mod. This eliminates roll outs and double feeds also allows for a bit of an over bore for crap paint without causing issues.

Last edited by Mr Idiot Box; 12-27-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Mr Idiot Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Certified Creeper

If your Phantom has older internals, it'll feel bad. If you can take a few photos of the outside and internal parts, it may help MCB help you.

Near Houston TX? Check out the
Houston Area Stock Class Group
Mithuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hmmm. I’ll have to tear the gun apart and take a look at that then. I just have the stock barrel, not sure if this is a newer or older phantom so I’ll have to identify that as well. Appreciate the help!
Old 12-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithuna View Post
If your Phantom has older internals, it'll feel bad. If you can take a few photos of the outside and internal parts, it may help MCB help you.
Iíll snag a few and drop them here! Really have no knowledge on these things.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tinkerer

CCM Fan
The bolt won't spring forward unless you have a pump return spring on the pump arm installed. You won't need to tear it apart to see that. Phantoms aren't too hard on paint if you have them setup for it. If you're running the open face tpc then you will want to have the air regulated to run brittle paint. The ported one tends to be better for unregulated co2. Be sure to be quick when cocking the gun. If you're not running an aspiring body or one with a detent you can get double feeding if you pump slowly.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
The bolt won't spring forward unless you have a pump return spring on the pump arm installed. You won't need to tear it apart to see that. Phantoms aren't too hard on paint if you have them setup for it. If you're running the open face tpc then you will want to have the air regulated to run brittle paint. The ported one tends to be better for unregulated co2. Be sure to be quick when cocking the gun. If you're not running an aspiring body or one with a detent you can get double feeding if you pump slowly.
It springs forward when itís degassed. However as soon as I air it up, the pump doesnít return when pumping it.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fire Avatar by Flounder

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Do you have a spring on the outside of the pump arm? Visible without taking it apart?

The bolt spring would be enough to return the pump with no air, but once it's gassed up the bolt will latch to the hammer and then the bolt spring will have no impact on the pump
A: Society sucks

Join us next time for another episode of Existential MCB
Feedback

CAX

I am "SPARE EDDIE"
Axel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Do you have a spring on the outside of the pump arm? Visible without taking it apart?

The bolt spring would be enough to return the pump with no air, but once it's gassed up the bolt will latch to the hammer and then the bolt spring will have no impact on the pump
Ohhh, no I do not. Iíll definitely need to snag one then. Makes sense.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithuna View Post
https://imgur.com/gallery/sk2iY3a

Hereís some pictures of the phantom and the internals. Any identification or details would be great! Appreciate all the help guys!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI