mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 07-27-2019, 05:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
TVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
That's one thing I was worried about. Seems like the ball sits in the body so it has to transition to the barrel bore. Although it does seem like the ball sits just right at the barrel throat so it's pretty much half inside the sizer portion...

Freedummy: While I'm sure I appreciate this sense of humor I am so lost on where to start.
Just donít excessively underbore you wonít have an issue. I shoot primarily Graffiti paint, which sizes out from .682 to .684. All of my phantoms are bored and I use either a .679 or .682 insert. I literally cannot remember the last time I had a barrel break and I play primarily stock class
TVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Keeper of souls of bees

For the cost of getting a barrel bored you can buy a new one already bored. Then you have a spare.
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback

Kinda Loves DPrekel
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
So one down side to freak bore is if you pinch a ball, or break paint the marker will not shoot clean. Straight bore seem to shoot clean better. I still prefer freak bore barrels because I try to shoot quality especially out of my Phantom. But some FPO fields it’s good to have a good old straight bore in the bag JIC.

I wouldn’t pay to have one bored just get one done already from CCI unless you got a fancy ano you want to match. The newer CCI barrels are a smaller over all bore for today’s small paint.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
President Ragnastock

CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idiot Box View Post
So one down side to freak bore is if you pinch a ball, or break paint the marker will not shoot clean. Straight bore seem to shoot clean better. I still prefer freak bore barrels because I try to shoot quality especially out of my Phantom. But some FPO fields it’s good to have a good old straight bore in the bag JIC.

I wouldn’t pay to have one bored just get one done already from CCI unless you got a fancy ano you want to match. The newer CCI barrels are a smaller over all bore for today’s small paint.
This is true. My Revolution is freak bored, shoots great, but a ball break means the insert weeps paint and throws curves even after a swab. .681 lapco bigshot shoots lasers, and self cleans with follow up shots if you do break a ball. I’ve rarely broken paint with the .681. Only time I have is with junk that’s overly brittle or out of round. Also, a cci c-bore barrel is close to the cost of boring. So like Chuck said, unless you have a fancy ano you’re trying to match a new barrel is your best bet

Last edited by AnarchicArctic; 07-27-2019 at 07:39 PM.
AnarchicArctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Good info, I may try to snag a Lapco 681 then if the sizers are a pain to clean. The whole reason I wanted to get a freak bored barrel is my gun is purple/black acid wash and wanted the matching barrel to shoot as well as some of my sniper/cocker barrels.
Gabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

I use a freak bored autococker barrel on my phuzzard and it works great. Easy to underbore and adjust bores as the humid day goes on. Yes breaking a ball in the barrel or breach causes issues but I have been blessed with little breaks.
ilivlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Nerd

I really think Freak boring is the single best thing you can do for a Phantom.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THE DICE
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Subscribe! "Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
Diomedes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

also if you get this done have to send barrel and gun at same time. to make sure the threading will work. i have 2 freak out barrels. each barrel can only work on 1 of 2 phantoms i own. so one can only work my black body other can only work on blue body one. also based on when barrel was made and year of phantom made too. will come in play over years mike change the threading on the barrels.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:16 AM   #19 (permalink)

The Phantom doesn't *need* inserts like other guns because the ball hangs around in the breech and needs something else, like a sizer ring, to keep the ball in the same place every time.
NotBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBrian View Post
The Phantom doesn't *need* inserts like other guns because the ball hangs around in the breech and needs something else, like a sizer ring, to keep the ball in the same place every time.
Not quite. The inserts can be used as detents, in fact this is one of their common uses. While not directly in the breech, the end of the insert will be in the same place as the sizer rings. If you are using an overbore barrel without inserts and without a detent mod (like the ASP mod), you will get rollouts with small paint.

atomicleaf
atomicleaf is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI