mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 07-29-2019, 01:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Loves Phantoms

I tried the C-bored CCI barrels and I tried the Deadlywinds freak barrels for the Phantom. The stock or big bored barrel shoots straighter for me. Forget the freak boring and get the ASP detent mod instead. https://airsoldier.com/product/asp-p...-modification/

It is the greatest. The ASP detent mod + Phantom is the greatest marker.
frd333do33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spece108 View Post
Nothing negative that's for sure. I like it better than detent rings. Tighter paint fit with inserts equals better air efficiency. I like installing a finger detent or freedummy's detents for really tiny paint. Lapco's new Grey Ghost system works really well for that, but near impossible to find. If you've got a batch going out, sounds like a win all round.
Anti-rollout fingers/detents - AC,VM68,CCI,Shocker,Trracer,Spyder
vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #23 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
I'm late to the party, but I don't like using inserts (in general, but specifically not on a Phantom). In my experience insert systems, regardless of bore size, break more paint and are more of a hassle than single bore or back-based systems.

The ASP mod with a tight-bore 1 piece barrel is my favorite, but I've been rocking the stock barrel with detent rings and freedummy detents and it shoots great so I haven't bothered upgrading.

You could probably squeeze more efficiency out of your gun with inserts, but the extra seems pretty minimal and I've never been one to care much about efficiency.
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #24 (permalink)
TooTall518

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Your experience may vary . . .

I am more in agreement with Diomedes than Jonny about Freak boring and my Phantom, I think the big mistake a lot of users make when first using an insert system is trying to underbore.

Underboring is a finicky thing, and generally with the Phantom and Freak-boring your not looking to underbore, just bore-match. If you stick a round into an insert and it's not easily blown out, it's too tight, if it rolls out it's too loose - inserts just need to "hug" the round and give you a nice "pop" when you blow through.

Feedback | YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderbarsafari View Post
While not technically a member of the Transformer family due to his non-vehicular appearance, Obake is a also a robot in disguise and distant cousin of Optimus Prime.
Obake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #25 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
Underboring is a finicky thing, and generally with the Phantom and Freak-boring your not looking to underbore, just bore-match. If you stick a round into an insert and it's not easily blown out, it's too tight, if it rolls out it's too loose - inserts just need to "hug" the round and give you a nice "pop" when you blow through.
This is fine if you have consistently sized paint, but if you're shooting crap paint bore-matching can really eff with the consistency of your shots.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #26 (permalink)
TooTall518

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post
This is fine if you have consistently sized paint, but if you're shooting crap paint bore-matching can really eff with the consistency of your shots.
So don't shoot crap paint

Feedback | YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderbarsafari View Post
While not technically a member of the Transformer family due to his non-vehicular appearance, Obake is a also a robot in disguise and distant cousin of Optimus Prime.
Obake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #27 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
So don't shoot crap paint
If only it were that easy...
Old 08-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post
Why I like to slightly overbore if possible and rely on Wedgits or like to hold the ball in place. With the terrible paint you have available anymore on a regular basis this is the best way to go. [.685 with Wedgits is my go to for this reason]

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:04 AM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

I actually started a thread a while back on basically the same topic. I was comparing the use of freak inserts to my .681 bigshot. Here's a link to that discussion: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...lly-worth.html

On a side note, wouldn't it be awesome if CCI started making one piece barrels in multiple sizes? Maybe .684, .681, .677, I dunno? I would be all over that with matching anno... I think they would sell well.

atomicleaf
atomicleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:10 PM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

we did pin topic on how different gens over years use different threading.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI