mcarterbrown.com  

CCM Chipley Machine

Old 05-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Owld Skewl

What's up with this S5?

So I just got this S5 and I have a few questions. This is my first CCM and I already love it even though it barely shoots!

I am setting it up as a pump, with an autococker trigger frame. Is the sear in a CCM frame in the same location as on an autococker frame?

Were these pneumatic S5 guns set up for low pressure? The reg was set at about 150psi when I got it. Is this regulator designed for high volume and low pressure? It appears to have lots of big airways. Would this gun have come with a lower tube setup that is very different from the current pumps?

Basically, I am looking for what I need to do to it to bring it up to current pump goodness. It seems like I need at the very least a stronger hammer spring, but I haven't disassembled it yet to see what the internals look like.

Thanks,
'wose
Old 05-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Engineer/EMT

CCM Fan
I would set the reg at 300psi and put your ivg 3 full turns in and check chrono. Only adjust the ivg leave the reg set. Good luck.

Charleston 9 & FDNY 343
"Sacrifice Is Meaningless Without Remembrance"
cld1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
suns out guns out

Send a message via AIM to freebird

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cld1223 View Post
I would set the reg at 300psi and put your ivg 3 full turns in and check chrono. Only adjust the ivg leave the reg set. Good luck.
ehh 300 psi is awful high for a gun that is operating in semi auto.
Do you plan on switching back and forth or just keeping it pump?
TEAM CAPTAIN - UPSTATE HATE
HORNETS NEST PAINTBALL
MCB Feedback
AO Feedback

Hillbilly death machine.
Fuel'd by Diesel fuel, Miller High Life, Gunpowder, and Red Meat.
freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
suns out guns out

Send a message via AIM to freebird

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwose View Post
So I just got this S5 and I have a few questions. This is my first CCM and I already love it even though it barely shoots!

I am setting it up as a pump, with an autococker trigger frame. Is the sear in a CCM frame in the same location as on an autococker frame? YES

Were these pneumatic S5 guns set up for low pressure? The reg was set at about 150psi when I got it. Is this regulator designed for high volume and low pressure? It appears to have lots of big airways. Would this gun have come with a lower tube setup that is very different from the current pumps? Call Mel At CCM

Basically, I am looking for what I need to do to it to bring it up to current pump goodness. It seems like I need at the very least a stronger hammer spring, but I haven't disassembled it yet to see what the internals look like.

Thanks,
'wose
see above
TEAM CAPTAIN - UPSTATE HATE
HORNETS NEST PAINTBALL
MCB Feedback
AO Feedback

Hillbilly death machine.
Fuel'd by Diesel fuel, Miller High Life, Gunpowder, and Red Meat.
freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Owld Skewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cld1223 View Post
Yeah that's where I started, but I barely get 200fps. And the reg is turned in about 5 turns. IVG is about 5 turns in as well. I was rushing because I was doing this on my lunch break though. It's totally possible I missed something.

It definitely acts like it is set up for low pressure, so I am looking for info on whether it is like this from CCM, or if it has been tweaked. Part of the weirdness is that I have never seen that reg before.

Thanks,
'wose
Old 05-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Owld Skewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird View Post
ehh 300 psi is awful high for a gun that is operating in semi auto.
Do you plan on switching back and forth or just keeping it pump?
Just pump. I think I'm going to see if I can get it working at the low pressure it appears to be set up for - at least for this weekend. Then see what it would take to get to a more ideal pump setup (hopefully short of a whole new lower tube kit).

And yes, "call Mel" is clearly the right answer I'll do that now.

'wose
Old 05-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Owld Skewl

Just talked to Rob at CCM and everything about the great customer service at CCM is absolutely true.

Found out some cool info. This appears to be a fairly old S5. The reg is the generation before the current style regulator. I guess they worked out a deal with Bob Long to make a reg with a similar operation to the old Torpedos.

I'm going to use the words "Rob said" but it is more like "this is what I heard". I don't want to accidentally misrepresent anything.

The pneumatic semis and the pumps are both designed to work at 300-350 psi.

Rob suggested setting the reg to 350psi and the IVG to that you can see about 2 threads (in 2 turns). If everything is happy and unworn, that should give you 270-290fps. He suggested 350 because that is a better "set and forget" pressure than 300 because your regulator can drift up or down a bit more without causing any issues. True sweet spotting will likely result in something closer to 300. I shoot co2 so I am thinking I might go with 350 even though it might not the the true sweet spot.

When the reg is at 350psi, the adjustment screw should be roughly flush with the bottom of the reg body.

Rob also mentioned that in the old regs, the piston was aluminum (as it is in mine) but they later switched to delrin. Mine appears to have dried out and scored the inside of the reg barrel a bit. The reg acts a little goofy, so I think this might be the cause. If anyone has an old reg like this, I might be looking for one. I really like how they look and want to keep this thing old school CCM.

He also mentioned that CCM has always used silver springs, not coated or colored, so that is 1 way to tell if you have something aftermarket.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I'll update this thread as I learn more.

'wose
Old 05-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Owld Skewl

Photos here if anyone is interested.

'wose
Old 05-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Engineer/EMT

CCM Fan
Glad you got it. CCM Rocks.

Charleston 9 & FDNY 343
"Sacrifice Is Meaningless Without Remembrance"
cld1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Owld Skewl

Update:

Ordered both springs, and a regulator rebuild kit from CCM. Got it in 2 days. Installed the springs, rebuilt the reg, set it to 300psi (set screw flush with body), set the IVG 2 turns in. Bam. Shot between 260 and 300 for an entire 12 gram (didn't have anything else). It should be perfect once the reg settles in.

Thanks CCM.

Oh, and these old guns apparently have Angel feedneck threads. I had ordered a CCM thread feedneck, but it didn't fit. There is something about serial numbers with an "A" ion them but I can't find the serial number. Fortunately I had a dust black Angel CCM feedneck on my automag

'wose

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCM