mcarterbrown.com  

CCM Chipley Machine

Old 06-06-2016, 11:54 PM   #2621 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
[QUOTE=DJmatt123;3278578]. My opinion is that any moving parts are bad for fs accuracy, there's almost always at least a little offset in barrel threads, so each time you take your barrel off to clean it, it goes back on just a little different since there is not a hard stop to keep it in exactly the same position each time. I would love to see a barrel setup like what Mossberg uses for their slug setup with the scope rail attached to the barrel itself so it always stays in the same position related to the barrel. It also doesn't screw on and rotate so it is much more likely to always go back to the same position. I know a lot of people don't like proprietary barrel systems, but I think that would be the best thing for accuracy.

If the barrels were made like AR barrels and the barrel nut lock them in place that might solve the issue.The problem with aluminium is that you can compress it.

The best solution for the SSR/SSPAR would be a upper lower just like the AR.
pull the rear pin the upper pivots up,remove the bolt,clean the barrel ect.

We worked on that design several years ago and even built a prototype. There are some small issues to resolve before it becomes a reality.

A quicker solution may be a slip fit barrel into the breach nut (no threads on either part) just a nice .001 clearance and a set screw locates into a divot each time. or a pin . or some kind of locating system.

It would only be good if we made the barrel and whole system. and like you say : people don't like proprietary.
CCMachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #2622 (permalink)
VCP

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
A quicker solution may be a slip fit barrel into the breach nut (no threads on either part) just a nice .001 clearance and a set screw locates into a divot each time. or a pin . or some kind of locating system.
How about a collet setup? Everything old is new again... Armson Semi

I have one of these and there is a slot in the barrel and a pin in the body to place it in the same orientation each time. And these Armson Barrels had rifling.

Should be fairly easy to make a cocker threaded screw on adapter with a notch for the alignment pin. It may be worth contacting Forest Hatcher (Armson).

secretweaponevan ~ "That wasn't in the instructions. Don't try to outsmart physics. Read and follow the instructions."
secretweaponevan ~ "You did great with following the instructions. Just so you know, that puts you in the top 1%."
Looper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:19 AM   #2623 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Some of these old designs were ahead of the curve. Think where we would be if they had FS back then. Now we have to learn it over again.

The Vector is one of my favorite barrel locking designs. I have one of these and it is simple and really cool lock up. But it is definitely propitiatory.

WARPIG - World And Regional Paintball Information Guide
CCMachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #2624 (permalink)

The other thing I noticed (other that the pile of fsr at my feet) was the consistency of the new blue/orange fsr's over the grey ones. In the pics below the fsr's have not been selected just first ones out of the boxes. The blue/orange fins are all clean/symmetrical and they sit upright. The grey ones look like they have been cut with a blunt hacksaw and don't sit centrally. This last point I didn't notice at the game only this evening when I put them on the worktop.

I there was a definite difference in performance as it spurred me to look at both more closely.

Taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:53 PM   #2625 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
I may get crucified for this, but when groups of shots are the size of a torso at range, I don't really think such details are necessary to invest time and money into (barrel attachment wise). Yes, accuracy is nice but when groups are this big, something that makes such a tiny difference really would not be noticed by 99.9% of people, or anyone IMO. Worth discussing tho for sure.

Last edited by crazyorigin; 06-07-2016 at 08:20 PM.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #2626 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
I don't use a bipod for anything but a 30 yd zero.I shoot how I play thats unsupported or braced against something thats why I use the torso target as a measure of accuracy.A hit is a hit I shoot for the biggest thing I can hit,at 80 yds there are alot of those chest shots.I'm hitting an 8x8 metal plate(head size) pretty consistant out to 80 yds. Good groupings unsupported would be awsome alot of training/practice would go into that.I'm using a red dot and a 3x magnifier works great for me.
casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:37 PM   #2627 (permalink)

Please put me on list. I would love to own one.
Mammoth-SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #2628 (permalink)
Buying Bankruptcy Kits

Oh wow, I haven't shot any of the new rounds yet. I'm still going through the grey/older batch
Donut SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:57 PM   #2629 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut SD View Post
Oh wow, I haven't shot any of the new rounds yet. I'm still going through the grey/older batch
Remember I'm in the UK and wherever you are the quality control may be different. However there was quite a difference in performance between the grey and blue/orange rounds shown in the pics. Nothing I can show in grouping/consistency as this was out in the field with people running at me. However between 50-80 yards it was noticeable how often the grey ones would be off the vertical crosshairs.
Taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:01 PM   #2630 (permalink)
Buying Bankruptcy Kits

If I showed you the grey ones I have, the ends are frayed as well. Like you, I'm getting more vertical shift than horizontal changes between shots.
Donut SD is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCM