mcarterbrown.com  

CCM Chipley Machine

Old 04-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
from a frozen land

CCM Fan
would you bother to sweet spot ?

I just cleaned up my S6 and crono'd it after . my field caps at 280fps , my marker shot 277, 274,273,276,275 over my crono . All seems OK to me - but should I bother to put a pressure tester on the reg and set it or a consistent shot at good fps indicate all is fine ?
kansei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
mag shooter

it should be noted that setting the regulator to a certain pressure is not sweet spotting.

sweet spotting is when you set the regulator at a lower pressure and increase it every couple of shots until it reaches the max fps with the spring at roughly 3 turns in on the ivg. the sweet spot will change based on your setup.

My shop page: Bearded Works

feedback(https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html)
superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
from a frozen land

CCM Fan
ok my bad lol - so as I have it set it up is right then . I always thought that to sweet spot the reg i had to set it on a tester then adjust until it reaches max and drops - then fine tune with the IVG . I actually did sweet spot it so I guess I answered my question .
Old 04-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
OLD MAN

CCM Fan
Looks like your Series 6 is shooting very consistent. For some people they are satisfied with that, and compared to a lot of other makers on the field, that will be better than most. That said, there is still more you can do and since you have a great maker, why not tune it to the best it can be.

Running the correct pressure will also improve your efficiency, lower your sound signature, and even lighten your pump stroke. So setting the right operating pressure is very important if these factors listed are important to you.

For some, especially those using a big tank efficiency is not important, I use a 13/3000 tank most of the time, so for me it is crucial. Some use a "hit-man" level, so a light pump stroke is not even an option, I do not use one, and I like a smooth light stroke. And some do not care what their shot sounds like, for me it drives me crazy when I hear a farty or swooshing sound signature, but then again, I am a bit nuts.

The good news is since you are shooting a Series 6 and since they are machined to very close tolerances, setting the pressure is not really a guessing game, as they are so consistent.

Assuming your marker is stock; with stock springs, valve, valve pin, hammer and IVG, and you are under-boring .003-.006 here are the settings that work for me: Regulator pressure set to 350 psi, IVG one and a half to two turns in from flush.

For most CCMs that will get you to about 280. If not, and you are shooting hot, raise your pressure to 375 psi, it should go down. If you are shooting low, lower the pressure to 300 or 325 psi and the velocity should go up.

I know it looks strange that raising the pressure will lower velocity and lowering the pressure has the opposite effect, that is because we are just over "sweet-spot" at 350psi. The extra pressure closes the valve faster so it will be more efficient. Since the valve closes fast, there is not whooshing sound, which means your more efficient. Since your IVG is most of the way out, the hammer spring is less compressed, so there is less resistance from it to cock your hammer, so your pump stroke is lighter.

Now some will make these adjustments with the IVG all the way out (just flush), I prefer to allow for a some adjustment out in case it is hot outside and the paint swells and pressures go up. Also, a friend of mine who has build more CCMs than anyone tells me if you are in a place that is very cold, you may need to increase your pressures to 375 or 400, since you are setting the pressure indoors at room temperature and it will drop when you are outside in the cold.

I know this got a bit wordy, but I always like to know why, not just how....

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Last edited by David A.; 04-20-2015 at 09:57 AM.
David A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
If my gun was shooting that over the chrono, I'd dig a hole and throw every allen key in the house into it!
Old 04-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
OLD MAN

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. PhunkyPants View Post
If my gun was shooting that over the chrono, I'd dig a hole and throw every allen key in the house into it!

^^^he has a point ^^^
Old 04-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. View Post
Looks like your Series 6 is shooting very consistent. For some people they are satisfied with that, and compared to a lot of other makers on the field, that will be better than most. That said, there is still more you can do and since you have a great maker, why not tune it to the best it can be.

Running the correct pressure will also improve your efficiency, lower your sound signature, and even lighten your pump stroke. So setting the right operating pressure is very important if these factors listed are important to you.

For some, especially those using a big tank efficiency is not important, I use a 13/3000 tank most of the time, so for me it is crucial. Some use a "hit-man" level, so a light pump stroke is not even an option, I do not use one, and I like a smooth light stroke. And some do not care what their shot sounds like, for me it drives me crazy when I hear a farty or swooshing sound signature, but then again, I am a bit nuts.

The good news is since you are shooting a Series 6 and since they are machined to very close tolerances, setting the pressure is not really a guessing game, as they are so consistent.

Assuming your marker is stock; with stock springs, valve, valve pin, hammer and IVG, and you are under-boring .003-.006 here are the settings that work for me: Regulator pressure set to 350 psi, IVG one and a half to two turns in from flush.

For most CCMs that will get you to about 280. If not, and you are shooting hot, raise your pressure to 375 psi, it should go down. If you are shooting low, lower the pressure to 300 or 325 psi and the velocity should go up.

I know it looks strange that raising the pressure will lower velocity and lowering the pressure has the opposite effect, that is because we are just over "sweet-spot" at 350psi. The extra pressure closes the valve faster so it will be more efficient. Since the valve closes fast, there is not whooshing sound, which means your more efficient. Since your IVG is most of the way out, the hammer spring is less compressed, so there is less resistance from it to cock your hammer, so your pump stroke is lighter.

Now some will make these adjustments with the IVG all the way out (just flush), I prefer to allow for a some adjustment out in case it is hot outside and the paint swells and pressures go up. Also, a friend of mine who has build more CCMs than anyone tells me if you are in a place that is very cold, you may need to increase your pressures to 375 or 400, since you are setting the pressure indoors at room temperature and it will drop when you are outside in the cold.

I know this got a bit wordy, but I always like to know why, not just how....

Good luck, I hope this helps.
^^^so does he!^^^
Old 04-20-2015, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Given those chrono numbers I'd leave well enough alone.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
from a frozen land

CCM Fan
Thanks guys . the marker is all stock except hitman , PE Oops and a DW carbon 14 with usually a .682 insert . i usually never mess with it since i find it the smoothest shooter I have .
Old 04-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Pump whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. View Post
Long commentation.
I agree with everything said except increasing the pressure to drop velocity. It does increase air efficiency I admit (i used to run like this until i realized what i'm about to say), but think about it for a quick moment..

13/3000 at 350psi you still have 5, possibly 15 shots left (depending on internals) (more if you have a larger tank), so those last 5-15 shots you're going to become less and less air efficient, and be shooting hotter and hotter until you get below a set number. If you set your reg low your going to always shoot consistent throughout until you get drop-off. It definitely is rare to shoot off a whole tank (depending on play style) but we're playing to have fun, so be safe out there, and think of other players safety.

Feedback

Last edited by Mathaeu; 04-20-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Mathaeu is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCM