mcarterbrown.com  

CCM Chipley Machine

Old 01-28-2018, 11:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Ssr "stupid" questions

Hi,

I'm really looking into the ssr but I have a few questions. I never had the opportunity to play with one and the few I've their owner did not letting me pry them out of their hands. I hope some some of you might be able to help me

1) from what I understand, the marker is designed to run on 12g and it have an internal regulator? So the remote line adapter is for co2 or hpa tank?

2) are the mags the "only prep" before shooting or does we still load the shells (like the sr1)?

3) can a regular barrel work or do you need a fax barrel? Which barrel works well on the ssr?

4) does a standard buffer tube screws into the back or you need a special adapter?

5) when the breach is open, can you hand load the paint if you run out of mag? Or you just need more mag ? :P

Thanks in advance for your help
B

Looking for pgp ... Shoot me a PM if you have a spare one

My Feedback
XEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Responses in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by XEMON View Post
1) from what I understand, the marker is designed to run on 12g and it have an internal regulator? So the remote line adapter is for co2 or hpa tank? Yep!

2) are the mags the "only prep" before shooting or does we still load the shells (like the sr1)? No shells, just load the magazines

3) can a regular barrel work or do you need a fax barrel? Which barrel works well on the ssr? You can use any autococker threaded barrel. Bill also made a an adapter that will let you screw in the Hammerhead barrel without the fins.

4) does a standard buffer tube screws into the back or you need a special adapter? I believe yes, normal buffer tube fits

5) when the breach is open, can you hand load the paint if you run out of mag? Or you just need more mag ? :P I've never done it but yes you could I believe
Old 01-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Thanks, that help a lot ... Now I need to find one ...
Are they in "continuous" run?

Also, how many shot per co2 can you get?

My Feedback
Old 01-29-2018, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Negative

They are not in a continuous run, so to speak. Bill seems to do smaller runs and there are about 4 available at a time, every 1-2 months. Magazines also sell out fairly quickly from runs of 30-40. They are available now in the store, so if you have the cash and are fairly certain you want one, you should probably jump on it. They are fantastic shooters, even David Williams (of Carmatech and SAR-12 fame) commented that he was going to have to get one.
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
I was looking at a carmatech this weekend on the field and it looks nice (really really nice) I love the clip design, but they are nearly twice the price of the ssr.

I haven't decided yet on a new or look for a used one, if I found a used one at a good price I'll probably jump on it, but for a new one I might have to wait the next run ...

How many clips do you carry?
How many shot per 12g co2 can you get?
Also, what barrel length is better for FSR?

Thanks

My Feedback
Old 01-29-2018, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Negative

Quote:
I was looking at a carmatech this weekend on the field and it looks nice (really really nice) I love the clip design, but they are nearly twice the price of the ssr.

I haven't decided yet on a new or look for a used one, if I found a used one at a good price I'll probably jump on it, but for a new one I might have to wait the next run ...

How many clips do you carry?
How many shot per 12g co2 can you get?
Also, what barrel length is better for FSR?

Thanks
It's tough to find used SSRs, as most owners hang on to them pretty tight. Although the base price for the SSR is much, much lower than the SAR, do keep in mind that you have to purchase furniture for it. That can set you back quite a bit, depending on what you choose. And the magazines are the most expensive on the market for their capacity, but the design is hard to beat.

I personally have 8 mags. I've only played one big game and carried all 8. You can probably get away with 5 pretty well.

I haven't played with CO2, but my team mate has and he was reporting 5 magazines (30 shots) I believe.

Good barrel length is 14" HH or Lapco FSR currently. Would be best to wait on the Nemesis though.

Last edited by Captain; 01-29-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Co2 12g is a big deal for me, I got Reed of all my air tank and only play 4oz and smaller ...

The price is another consideration ...
I can go light on the equipment for the ssr and upgrade/get more as I go ... I have a 16" Bob long barrel I used to love when I played electro ... I still have it somewhere ... Everything else is phantom thread.

The grip is a standard AR pistol grip and an ar15 buffer tube fit in the back?

My Feedback

Last edited by XEMON; 01-30-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Negative

Quote:
Co2 12g is a big deal for me, I got Reed of all my air tank and only play 4oz and smaller ...

The price is another consideration ...
I can go light on the equipment for the ssr and upgrade/get more as I go ... I have a 16" Bob long barrel I used to love when I played electro ... I still have it somewhere ... Everything else is phantom thread.

The grip is a standard AR pistol grip and an ar15 buffer tube fit in the back?
Yes to the AR questions. Real steel fits for hanguards, grips, and stock. Additionally you can set it up with an AR to 45 grip and a skeleton stock or bottomline adapter on the cheap.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Thanks, the 45 and bottom line is a good idea.

Does a rifled barrel make a big difference?
How are the hammerhead compared to the armson?

My Feedback
Old 01-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Voted most ball-fondliest

Quote:
Does a rifled barrel make a big difference?
How are the hammerhead compared to the armson?
For First Strike/Shaped rounds? Consensus is generally that rifling does have a benefit. Research is ongoing exactly how much and which is the superior platform Lapco VS Hammerhead. New barrel soon on the market is the Nemesis by Carmatech, very few independent tests so far but looks promising.

Armson rifling is the wrong direction and very large bore - In my experience it was no benefit to FSR over a smooth-bore barrel so I wouldn't seek one out specifically. I've found them to be fine barrels, otherwise.

Lots of discussion here - https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/first-strike/
My feedback: MCB / eBay
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCM