mcarterbrown.com  

CCM Chipley Machine

Old 06-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

First Strike sizing issue

Maybe Iím in the wrong section for this but I figure thereís enough people here who shoot first strikes that you guys can help me out.

I was playing with my SSR this weekend. I had bought two new boxes of FS rounds with the dark gray tips. These rounds slid right through my 0.686 fin that I usually use in my hammerhead barrel. I grabbed the next smallest fin which was a 0.683 to see if it would work. The rounds were slightly too big, and I could already imagine cracking them in the breech trying to shove them in. Luckily I had a freak kit on hand, and my 0.684 insert fit perfectly. I am a little pissed off that I was not able to use my rifled barrel that I shelled out $200US for. Whatever, I still had fun and made some decent kills.

My question is: how can I avoid sizing issues in the future? I see three possible options:

1) always purchase the older style first strikes that are the light gray color. I have used the 0.686 sizer every time except this weekend, so as long as First Strike Paintball keeps manufacturing them at this size I should be good. No guarantees though.

2) get a machinist on here to bore out one or two of the smaller sizers that I have never used. I would love to have a 0.684 and a 0.685 bore for my hammerhead just to be prepared for this situation in the future.

3) get another 0.686 fin and start adding nail polish to it. Not a huge fan of this but itís probably the most likely solution and something I can do myself.

Just wondering what you guys think, what do yíall do when your bullets donít fit your barrel?
drewkroeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Fleeing Pickle

Kilt Club
I'm still a greenhorn in regards to FSR, but do you think the rounds are brittle enough that underboring slightly would break them? I underbore the crap out of my roundball for my pumps and haven't experience issues with breakage, but obvious FSR are a different animal.
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to ECAPNation

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
You can remove .001 with a flex hone

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
ECAPnation's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
ECAPNation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Negative

The .683 fin should really be okay for FSR even if it's slightly underbore. I shoot the Lapco .683 barrel and haven't had an issue even with the full length underbore.
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post
I'm still a greenhorn in regards to FSR, but do you think the rounds are brittle enough that underboring slightly would break them? I underbore the crap out of my roundball for my pumps and haven't experience issues with breakage, but obvious FSR are a different animal.
Iím no expert on FS either, but the amount of force needed to push the round in partway with my thumb suggests I would not get the silky smooth recocking action I am used to. I canít say for certain if itís tight enough to break FS in the breech but I didnít want to risk it.

BigOldSkool, thanks for the flex hone idea. I will be googling that some more. Any tips or advice for a newbie are most helpful as I am not a machinist and have no experience maintaining firearms.

Thanks for the responses guys
Old 06-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
First Strikes are just like paintballs. Sizing the rounds produce better consistency. My original SR1 with the shells 684,685 and 686 were designed to work with varying size of FS. I tried the 683 lapco on my rifle and my results were not good. I am not saying the barrel didn't work, it just didn't work with my rifle.

For an experiment , try pushing an over size FS thru a smaller sizer. Even .002 is incredibly tight. So you can imagine what is going on in the rifle.

The FS should be held in the sizer with a slight resistance.

This has been my experience. size for the best results.
CCMachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

I was worried about the 683 lapco at first because some rounds are VERY tight in it, but played all the mini's with it at DDAY last week. I used the smallest rounds on the most important days and used the large rounds (the ones I was worried about) on the less important days.
While their trajectory was different, each group shot consistently to itself and I never had a single round break in the barrel and had very few fliers.
bowcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
First Strikes are just like paintballs. Sizing the rounds produce better consistency. My original SR1 with the shells 684,685 and 686 were designed to work with varying size of FS. I tried the 683 lapco on my rifle and my results were not good. I am not saying the barrel didn't work, it just didn't work with my rifle.

For an experiment , try pushing an over size FS thru a smaller sizer. Even .002 is incredibly tight. So you can imagine what is going on in the rifle.

The FS should be held in the sizer with a slight resistance.

This has been my experience. size for the best results.

Any chance I could send you a couple 0.683 fins and have you bore them out to 0.684 and 0.685?
Old 06-20-2018, 08:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mar
Carter's wife's boyfriend

Brass and Wood Fan
My friend and Carmatech guy (tester/employee?) has a careful process.

He takes a box, and weighs each round. He sorts them by weight and diameter. The mold for a round apparently begins to build up from making rounds, so each subsequent round gets smaller and smaller, until they toss it and move on to the next mold. He will spend a couple of hours in his shop sorting rounds before any testing or game. It seems a pretty intimate process, kind of cool actually.

Meanwhile I just shooty ball round-rounds from a brass stick.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Honestly the .686 should still work just fine. This is what I shoot and my FSR fly consistently for me. I also have a .683 fin and it shot well, but I did notice some bolt strike damage to the fins on occasion causing flyers. The .686 fin is just easier overall on the action so I have less to worry about.
I use a 16inch bangstixx so there is plenty of barrel beyond the fin to engage the FSR.

I shoot out to 75 yards though. If your shooting out past that a lot you'll still need to sort the rounds to get the best groupings.

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCM