mcarterbrown.com  

Old 08-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
slowly coming back around

saying goodbye to a friend (Jaegers in KC, 20 August)

We were having a party sending off a good friend of ours the other weekend, as he was moving back to Florida due to lack of job and money issues. As a poor college student, he was giving away possessions that he wasn't using anymore and didn't have enough room to pack down to Florida. To me, he gifted his Spyder Flash electro-sear tripper that he had hardly used in the past 5 years, but knew that I would have a use (or find one) for it.

As the party wore on, and the blood-alcohol content started to rise in the party guests, it was decided that a) paintball was a fun thing that most of the folks at the party had not done in a while, and b) we should honor our friend by playing paintball soon, and making sure everyone who attended got a chance to play with it. As the new owner of the memorial marker (known by its previous owner's name as "The Rhys") and the resident paintball afficianado, it was decided (not by me) that I would prepare The Rhys for this expedition so that everyone who attended could use it during the day, while they planned the where and when (with the help of my wife, who's got more experience flinging paint than she lets on).

For my portion of it, I broke down The Rhys and lubed the entire drive train probably for the first time ever since it had been bought, and luckily didn't have to look for any replacement o-rings or cup seal. Then, being the type of paintballer who can't leave "well enough" alone, I replaced the crappy stock feedneck with a clamping one and bought a tighter bore barrel for today's smaller paint (and a replacement detent). That is one thing I have to say for the Spyders - all the replacement parts were plentiful and cheap enough that I had all that I wanted for under $30 shipped, and even though I've never owned one, I've worked on STBBs enough over the years that I easily managed to tear this Flash down to its base components. With all of that done, this old school beast just needs some air and paint, and it's ready to rock.

Now, for the game itself - while I know that at least 10 people at the party and elsewhere have enthusiastically said that they will show up, I have enough experience with these kinds of things to know that the wife and I will show up, and we'll be lucky to get another 2 to 4. Which is why I've shared this story with you, MCB Central folks. Anyone who wants to join us (and I apologize - we don't have a solid day or time yet, just sometime the weekend of the 20th of August at Jaegers Paintball in Kansas City) (yes, as we come closer to that weekend, I will post the hard date/time) is welcome to, though most of our players will be using rentals and doubt the wife and I will be using our pumps. We will be filming as much of the festivities as we can (have to prove to Rhys that The Rhys got used, and how much we miss him) and everyone who shows up will get a chance to play with the old school goodness of The Rhys.

The problem with America is that we confuse our politics for religion, and our religions for science.

Check out my current sale and my feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
A Pirate's Life for Me

CCM Fan
My wife informs me that we may have plans, but if we don't, I'll be there
Old 08-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Girlfriend will be back at school, no more summer classes, I think I can make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace View Post
Auto-Trigger. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every mother****er in the room, accept no substitutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdcore View Post
That was worded better while you were hungover than most internet posts are while their writers are dead sober & pain free.

MCB Trust
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Want to see my spaceship?

I will be working unfortunately because I would really like to get some playing in but I think I will be making an effort to play sometime in September. Of course alot of my extra time is dependant on if I have any contracts to fill or not.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hope to see you guys there. Working on getting some MCB-approved camouflage (Hawaiian shirt) for that weekend. Will let you know how the shopping trip goes.

The problem with America is that we confuse our politics for religion, and our religions for science.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cloud Cuckoolander

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
I'll be in the shop...

The Llama Cavalry Has Arrived!!!
I'm a PC, and LINUX was my idea!
Timmycuddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Okay, we have settled on Saturday the 20th, starting at 2 in the afternoon, and going 'til we run out of paint. I still haven't managed to procure any hibiscus camouflage, but will try to make that happen this week. The wife and one of her buddies will be wearing pink tie-dyed shirts, to help you identify the wackiness that will be our group and join us.

Hope to see you guys there!

Old 08-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

MCB camo (ie: Hawaiian shirts) has been procured. Now to get the gear ready and into the gear bag for 4+ ballers. *sigh* Work, work, work...

Old 08-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
I will more than likely be there woot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace View Post
Auto-Trigger. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every mother****er in the room, accept no substitutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdcore View Post
That was worded better while you were hungover than most internet posts are while their writers are dead sober & pain free.

MCB Trust
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Want to see my spaceship?

I wish I could play with you guys, but I have to work. Still it would be a great early b-day present to myself...of course I already bought myself a present today on MCB.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Local Games » Central