mcarterbrown.com  

Old 08-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
slowly coming back around

Anyone played at J&J's Paintball in Marshall, MO?

Ran across this field that's a mere hour away from my house, J&J's Paintball. Never heard about it but I'm always down for close by paint flinging, if it's decent.

Looks like they've got some old school hyperpipe, and the fort field looks interesting. Air ball I can leave it or play it, but at least they have 3 different fields to play on.

The problem with America is that we confuse our politics for religion, and our religions for science.

Check out my current sale and my feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

it's about an hour and a half from me, I'd be down for a day of play there some time.

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
K_Obeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

If I get a chance to go out and play, I'll let you know. It's close enough that I'm willing to risk a weekend on it.

The problem with America is that we confuse our politics for religion, and our religions for science.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
10 round tubes for life!

Anyone get a chance to play at this yet? What's the jury say?
Zeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

No, sorry. Still planning on getting out there to see how the field fares, but having a free Saturday to get out and fling paint has proven to be beyond my reach. Maybe later this month, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Barring any unforeseen issues, I will be going this weekend. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just got back home, and have to say that I'm looking forward to playing more out at J&J's. Backstory - owner's name is Jason, started it with his brother Jeremy (hence, J&J), but now just running it on his own. Leasing land that used to be a drive-in movie theater (the old ticket booth is being used as a chrony station, and the shell of the old projection booth is part of one of the fields), he's set up a paintball field offering what you've come to expect out of a professional, established field - safety, a variety of fields, competitive prices, and a friendly atmosphere.

The fields - he's got three fields set up, and possibly room for a fourth, but more than likely an expansion of one of the existing fields. He's got an airball field, which is right up front, near the office/pro shop, but we didn't get to play on (more on that soon). Then there's a scenario-ish field that has a fort built out of the remnants of the projection booth/concession stand, and we also didn't play on that one as he is busy throwing up buildings and walls of tires and chemical drums to make yet another fort at the other end of the field with TONS of bunkers in between. There's two boats and a minivan already on the field, and he's trying real hard to get an old schoolbus to form one tapeline on the field. Very scenario-ish, can't wait to play on it. The last field is a hyperpipe field, with your classic standups, and laydowns, and tapeline snakes. Since this was the only field running, we played on it all day, and I was always finding new lines to play, new combinations of bunkers to walk depending on where my opponents were at. You can tell the bunker layout was thought out by people who played paintball with an eye toward creating lanes, cover, multiple sight lines at different bunkers - what you want from a basic field.

Now, it's not all peaches and cream - this is the middle of Missouri and the problem with paintball and the middle of Missouri is that there is plenty of empty land to play upon, but because of that, it has a pretty low population density which means there isn't a lot of people who show up to play paintball. Today was no exception. Even though the weather was downright gorgeous (low to mid 70s, low humidity, sunny), I was literally the only walk-on rec player at the field. Now, they had two private groups, a church group and a bachelorette party, and the church group was nice enough to let me play with them (I behaved and pulled out my Empire Sniper, definitely did not play against the mostly kids with the Legend or even my M98 Custom). I helped ref the bachelorette party, not that they needed my help, but it was just nice to be out of the house on such a nice day, and the ladies had fun. Not great paintball, but they had fun. Ever watch a series of games and wish you had full HD camera coverage of the field? Yeah, not great paintball, but they had fun (and we had fun watching them). It's amazing what happens to tweenagers when they do beers on the way to play paintball, amidst other planned drinking and debauchery for the day.

The proshop is also more of just a check-in/air fill/get more paint station. He's got some basic gear up on the wall for sale, but he's realized (wisely) that he doesn't really need to carry everything that ANS or I&I or Compulsive does, as that would probably sink his business financially with unnecessary overhead that's just not selling. He has catalogs from the major suppliers and can order anything you want, but he's realized he can't compete with online sales and so doesn't try.

It's a growing field that's still getting the word out to players in the area (it's been around for over a year and I just heard about it like month ago), but they have good ties with established fields (particularly Jaegers in KC) and are learning from the more experienced field owners. He's still working on fields, but he knows what he wants to do with them, and since he's getting most of his building materials for free (irrigation pipe, tires, chemical barrels, pallets) from local contacts, he's doing it well within his budget.

Yeah, maybe I'm just excited to have a decent field closer to my house than 2 hours away, but I really did have a fun day at the field, and am looking forward to going out and playing there again. I'll let you guys know when that is, maybe we can gather up a whole MCB pump posse and descend upon the place.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Looks like they're a little over 4 hours from me.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Looks like they're a little over 4 hours from me.
Yep, which reminds me that I need to see when SmakZone is having their scenarios... damn, missed them all this year. You interested in the June or September annual game out there?

Old 09-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Stick Feed Aficionado

PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Yep, which reminds me that I need to see when SmakZone is having their scenarios... damn, missed them all this year. You interested in the June or September annual game out there?
Rumor says Mark might be closing down due to lack of attendance.
Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Local Games » Central