mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-30-2019, 03:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Plays on the cheap

Got the OK from the wife to go on Sunday. See you guys there.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
(sort of a) Newbie

Man, I wish I would've seen this earlier! I'm interning near Oshkosh now and wouldn't mind driving up there sometime to play with you guys! I was planning on going to a field near Madison tomorrow but if you guys plan on being there next month, I'll make my way up there.
ledheplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

I'm central WI and always looking to meet other players from the area. I generally float between Outdoor Adventure and Commando showing up alone and trying to drop in with strangers. LOL
estin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'm bringing a rookie tomorrow. Buddy of mine. I think he's in his mid 50's (I'm 39). He's never played before. I hope he has a blast and we gain another paintballer. Figure I'll let him shoot the new emek I bought for the wife. Its untested but supposedly should always work.
Carlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I'll be at Vintage most of the season. But will probably go to the Splat Tag giant big game. You cant really lose with either one. Both are run well.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

I ended up going this last Saturday for walk-ons with a couple of friends who haven't really played. It was a good time. Most of my markers hadn't had air through them in almost ten years.

The newly acquired Phantom shot darts most of the day - though I may have underbored because I did end up with what I would consider an unacceptable amount of barrel breaks (three using the Phantom). Also had a few double feeds even though it has the detent mod - I'd be willing to bet it was a pumpstroke issue with me, though.

That paint was small with a capital S, though. I had a .679 in and about half would roll through, the other half would get stuck. I think if I had had a .682 or .684 with me that would have been ideal for the variance.

I was pretty happy that my old private label Impulse aired right up and shot well without any adjustments. It needs to be tuned a bit but it was still fun to play a couple games with it - though I barrel broke just about any time I would put up a rope instead of a few shots. Could be the underbore situation again. Ordered some smaller inserts - I'm not used to breaking that much and there were quite a few shots I missed from a winged ball.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Plays on the cheap

If I'm having issues or when I'm in doubt, I overbore. Also, I find that shorter barrels work better in the cold. Easier to shoot through breaks. Maybe find a 6 or 8 inch barrel for cold days?
Old 04-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaman5266 View Post
If I'm having issues or when I'm in doubt, I overbore. Also, I find that shorter barrels work better in the cold. Easier to shoot through breaks. Maybe find a 6 or 8 inch barrel for cold days?
Yeah, I mean it was the chilliest day in the last couple weeks. There's a lot of variables. They could have swollen as it warmed up a bit and I should have rebored; I realized that I didn't have any inserts between .679 and .689. The .689 would have been massive so I stayed a bit underbored, but it was real brittle - so sploosh. All in all the breaks were probably mostly my fault for not adapting

I tried a newly acquired A5 with a Cyclone and Flatline over at the chrono and it was just a blender so I shelved that idea until I get a chance to mess with it. It's also possible we're using paint left from last season, so maybe it really is just that brittle and will get better.

Regardless, I still had an awesome and muddy time and look forward to getting out there more as the weather warms up. Find me with the red and silver anno Phantom
Old 04-01-2019, 11:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

Dont over think it too much. I'm assuming I was shooting the same paint as you when I was there Sunday. It was crap. Really bad batch of paint. Inconsistent size, dimples and and covered in liquid. I had quite a few barrel breaks from my trilogy pump, and that thing is very gentle on paint. I was using a 684. Some would break in the barrel others would roll out. It was frustrating, but it didn't ruin my day. Still had a blast.
Carlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
Dont over think it too much. I'm assuming I was shooting the same paint as you when I was there Sunday. It was crap. Really bad batch of paint. Inconsistent size, dimples and and covered in liquid. I had quite a few barrel breaks from my trilogy pump, and that thing is very gentle on paint. I was using a 684. Some would break in the barrel others would roll out. It was frustrating, but it didn't ruin my day. Still had a blast.
That's good to know, actually. All the rentals were pretty much flamethrowers as well, but you usually expect that. I was the only non-rental and it's been so long since I've played that I wasn't sure if it was all in my head or not. I feel significantly less crazy. Looking forward to seeing you around out there soon!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Local Games » Central