mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 10-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

* HOW-TO "ICE" your JT flex * IE: remove the staining or yellowing *

If you want your clear JT flex to look brand new again and are tired of that grungy "yellowed" look just follow this simple HOW-TO removing it!

To start off you'll be needing
  1. Latex gloves
  2. A sponge
  3. A toothbrush
  4. Q-tips
  5. Paper towels
  6. A cup
  7. Water
  8. Mask/Frames
  9. Open area
  10. SUNLIGHT!!!
  11. And finally SEA GLOW (Cleaning Agent)

As you can see the Sea Glow comes in a large 16oz bottle which costs ~$75!. You will only need about 1-2oz to do a FULL mask depending on how yellowed it is. So I will be offering 1oz bottles and a few 2oz bottles of it HERE for: a 1oz - $10 OR a 2oz - $16. You can also go to www.IslandGirlProducts.com and order directly from them for large quantities.

First you're gonna wanna clean off your parts in warm, soapy water to get the majority of the paint or gunk off of it. Wipe it off with a towel and make sure IT IS COMPLETELY DRY! Water neutralizes the Sea Glow, (makes it inactive) so if there is water on your part IT WILL NOT WORK!

After washing and drying go ahead and go outside and lay out everything you'll need and put on the gloves for safety. Your gonna want to use a sponge to get the Sea Glow all over your parts, making sure you cover everything. You can use Q-tips to get in the smaller holes.

Then take the toothbrush and dip it into the Sea Glow. Scrub down your entire part. This makes it easier for the Sea Glow penetrate the rubber. I have found the toothbrush also makes it easy to get into ridges and holes while scrubbing.

Now you have to let your parts sit directly in the sun. The Sea Glow uses the sun to fluorescentize? (probably not a word... ) your parts making them clear again. You will see the Sea Glow kind've glows in the sun! Let the parts sit for ~45min directly in the sun but make sure to check every 15 min that they are visibly wet and not dry because the sun will dry out the Sea Glow and the parts will absorb some. When I took pictures it was too cloudy (see updated results below!).. SO MAKE SURE YOU ARE DOING ALL OF THIS ON A SUNNY DAY OR ELSE IT WILL NOT BE AS EFFECTIVE!

After letting your parts sunbathe wash them off; whether it be a hose or a big tub inside. Remember to wear gloves while picking up your parts with Sea Glow on them! Also if you are doing frames WASH VERY THOROUGHLY! because once you play and start to sweat you dont want the Sea Glow to drip into your eyes!!! Once you get your parts washed off you can handle with your hands. Remember that water neutralizes the Sea Glow making it safe to handle again. Also having the water bottle/cup is so that if you spill any of the chemicals you can neutralize it. HOWEVER SEA GLOW WILL STAIN! WATER IS SIMPLY TO NEUTRALIZE IT, IT WONT NECESSARY COME OUT.

After THOROUGHLY washing your parts including the foam, dry off with a towel. You can appreciate your like new parts or repeat as necessary until your parts are "ICY FRESH"! Some of the more heavily stained parts will take more repeats than others and may not even completely "ice" whereas others will become very very clear! (see results below!)

The frames I was using have been through 2 repeats and could probably use a few more. The thinner area of clear rubber are fairly icy, but the thicker parts are giving me more trouble. The bottoms are very easy to ice and have only been through two as well.

I plan on editing in some blue IZE parts I will be doing this weekend for all of you with the more transparent IZE parts! :tup:

DISCLAIMER!: Sea Glow has been known to react with certain glues (like the ones for the soles of shoes) however I have directly applied it to the foam and glue on the frames I used in this HOW-TO (I pulled off the foam to get right on top of the glue to test it) with no effect on it. This being said Use at your own risk! Also Sea Glow will stain!

If you are too scared to do this process yourself, I can do it for you! Or if you would like to purchase some Sea Glow just go HERE!

If you have any questions feel free to post or PM me.

BEFORE/AFTER PICTURES and MORE RESULTS:

Before:

Sunbathing:

After:

The blue IZE frames became much clearer after the process. I could easily see through them afterwards. This would be more noticeable if my pair of IZE frames were more translucent to start with.. You can also tell everything looks a ton cleaner/shiny. Definitely makes your parts stand out more and look pristine! The VERY yellowed pair could use a few more repeats. I'll be sure to update the thread again concerning these frames as I do another repeat of the process. Mind you I only have used ~3oz of Sea Glow on all the masks pictured in this thread! Thats about $30 for over $200 in mask parts! Well worth the money and time invested!

Last edited by PumpMerchant; 10-15-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Update
PumpMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Working on links right now..
Links updated.
MORE BEFORE/AFTER PICTURES COMING TONIGHT AS WELL AS A BLUE IZE.

Last edited by PumpMerchant; 10-15-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dive Dive Dive

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I used to use really concentrated Oxy Clean. This looks much better though!
It like the CCM version of Two Girls One Cup.
I will ban folks.... I swear.
TF

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
worrptangl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
RTR ESSG

Great how-to!

Feedback +28|-0
YouTube|flickr
shadow_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by worrptangl View Post
I used to use really concentrated Oxy Clean. This looks much better though!
Interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_772 View Post
Great how-to!
Thanks! Tis my first!
Old 10-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Braden Lowe

i noticed you removed the frame foam. where do you order new foam?
thetunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetunk View Post
i noticed you removed the frame foam. where do you order new foam?
Sadly JT (now Kee) is not making new foam for the Proflex's...
However you can use these instead and cut to fit. The listing is for a two-pack. I've also heard of soft weather stripping but personaly I wouldn't go that route.

As far as the tutorial you don't have to remove the foam to ice..
Old 10-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

New pictures and results posted!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Killer Kanas

Nice thread! Great results! I use this stuff on all my sneakers, it is AMAZING! Sad that some day all the bottles will be gone =(
Kanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpMerchant View Post
I've also heard of soft weather stripping but personaly I wouldn't go that route.
I have thick weather stripping held on with double sided tape on my vforces. It quite comfortable, despite the fact that it looks like crap. The big problem with it is that it absorbs all the sweat.
We have nothing to fear but fear itself. Apart from pain. And maybe humiliation and obviously death. And failure. But apart from fear, pain and humiliation, failure and the unknown and death we have nothing to fear but fear itself. Who’s with me?

-Arnold J. Rimmer
maloneoni is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions