mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 04-15-2018, 06:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
Post Whore

To answer you questions the best I can...
1 The original stock setup DID have slight velocity issues,actually blew the electro noid trying to get the OP up to 285-300,a common issue with post 2010 PMRs

2 The newer PMRs have a ridiculously heavy bolt,it's 15+ grams heavier than a STOCK Ion bolt,I have a mech Ion with a bolt 30 grams lighter in guessing that had a lot to do with the velocity issues

3 The trim tape is VERY strong BUT it may have affected the velocity if the 3way(SMAV) moved.Ot checked by eye and didn't see any movement. I eventually made a secure bracket and still had issues with decent velocity

4 I really haven't looked too much at the noid,its was a serious PITA to get a great seal to the body,ended up using automotive Indian head gasket sealer on it,it's lasted over 5 years.MacDave would have better insight on this.I know several people have modded similar noids on NTs

5 I have several mech Ions,they're bulletproof once you get the trigger stroke and 3 way position right
Yoda and Dethwish have a great kit,they're knowledge has helped me on countless mods.IIRC they're out of the mech kits
You may be able to create a 3way with the manifold itself.The SMAV used in their kits are sometimes available from AirSolder.com

Cost of build? Couldn't even guess but can almost guarantee it would be cheaper then the noid replacement IF you can find one.They were around $60-80 when you could find them,I've seen complete PMRs go for around that

Good news is you could recoup some of the cost by selling the board Angel guys use them for a conversion
The ribbon eyes are also somewhat desirable as they break easy and aren't readily available

Hope this helps a bit,somewhere here there's a NT mech conversion that could really help out
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by punisher068; 04-15-2018 at 06:31 PM.
punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #22 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

Found the thread here:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...last-page.html

Found the shooting video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AosjEq6iTyg

Okay, good info, thanks!

I've got some things to think about.
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:09 PM   #23 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

If you're feeling really adventurous, it's possible to make a walkable mech Ion if you use a Fabco MSV-2 and a Clippard PAVO-3... the MSV-2 controls the PAVO-3, which is an air piloted 3-way spool valve.

There's a post on Facebook in a group I'm in about it... they're kind of cool, I was thinking of building one before I got into my double Ion project, I may still end up doing one at some point.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

My Collection
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:14 AM   #24 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

Fabco MSV-2, apparently 2 ounce trigger pressure at 100 psi? Insane!

The spool valve looks pretty small too.

Good call Jordan, thanks for the tip!

Edit: this is what I love about this community.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2018-04-15-23-08-38.png (119.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2018-04-15-23-18-58.png (161.2 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Bang*Bang**; 04-16-2018 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:29 AM   #25 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

I'm curious about how one manages air pressure.

If everything is essentially in line, but max psi input is 150psi for one of the parts in the chain, and the bolt needs 200psi to fire at 300fps, how does one manage that?

I'm just picking numbers. I don't actually know what the bolt needs to fire. I'm just curious how one would resolve that issue.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:20 AM   #26 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang*Bang** View Post
I'm curious about how one manages air pressure.

If everything is essentially in line, but max psi input is 150psi for one of the parts in the chain, and the bolt needs 200psi to fire at 300fps, how does one manage that?

I'm just picking numbers. I don't actually know what the bolt needs to fire. I'm just curious how one would resolve that issue.
I did leave one thing out - you'll need a LPR for the MSV-2. Think of the MSV as a mechanical relay in this case - it's going to use low pressure input to control high pressure output.

Mech Ions run at anywhere from 120 - 180psi - I've used them at pressures as high as 200psi, and my Epiphany build will likely require that input or higher - but the valves will handle the pressure without a problem according to the guys at TFGPB.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

My Feedback

My Collection
Old 04-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #27 (permalink)
TFGPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I did leave one thing out - you'll need a LPR for the MSV-2. Think of the MSV as a mechanical relay in this case - it's going to use low pressure input to control high pressure output.

Mech Ions run at anywhere from 120 - 180psi - I've used them at pressures as high as 200psi, and my Epiphany build will likely require that input or higher - but the valves will handle the pressure without a problem according to the guys at TFGPB.
I've run significantly higher than that before without an issue. I got in touch with Clippard about it before to make sure we weren't using something in a potentially unsafe manner - the seals can roll when over the recommended pressure (can, but often work just fine), but the burst pressure is in the thousands of psi, so definitely safe.
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #28 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

Yeah, I was curious how strict the mentioned 150psi limit was. If there's headroom for more pressure then that saves the space of lpr. I just thought that would be too good to be true.

Anyone know what psi a 07PMR bolt requires to fire?
Old 04-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #29 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang*Bang** View Post
Yeah, I was curious how strict the mentioned 150psi limit was. If there's headroom for more pressure then that saves the space of lpr. I just thought that would be too good to be true.

Anyone know what psi a 07PMR bolt requires to fire?
You'll need the LPR if you want a walkable trigger... from what I've read, the higher pressures increase the force needed to actuate the MSV-2, so you'll want a LPR to drop the pressure into the MSV.

If you don't care about a walkable trigger, then you can stick with a SMAV-3 - I like the way my mech Ion trigger feels. It's not quite as snappy as a Mag, but it's as short.

My Feedback

My Collection
Old 04-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

I actually have a gauge on my 07,it runs slightly over 200 psi
Keep in mind I'm using a tailess L7 TechT bolt with a different dwell though and I've set it up for max ROF not consistent velocity
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions