mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 11-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Using a bolt, part of the old feed neck and epoxy putty to create a front mount. This just stabilizes the front piece it won't be a mount as such.

Cut off the excess of the grip frame. This and the excess tubing will be filled down to be almost flush with the back. I want to leave a little 'cut-out' so that the sp-1 back cap/cover sits nicely. It is likely that when I get around to doing the neater version of this all, I will get a proper nut there for it to attach to.

Will need to get myself a nice short barrel for this, and for when I want more efficiency/accuracy I need to make a rain cover for my ceramic barrel.

Last edited by Scougar; 11-05-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Scougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Paroxysm

So the colder weather seems to be having a big impact on my epoxy curing times (Epoxy AND epoxy putty). I thought by leaving this overnight it would have hardened as other putty I have used in the past is hardened almost completely within about an hour (ironically cheaper stuff). I used JB Weld Heavy Duty and it's still not cured, only about 75% there. I have now brought it inside, and I think I'm going to have to leave it for a few days (or longer) to harden properly, I only hope that the cold temp hasn't stopped it from curing as such.

Anywho, I roughly filled in the old feed neck and the the front mag well mount point and will file it down when it's cured.

If I decide to put the grip on the front, then the grip itself will form part of the system that holds the mag well in place even more securely. Right now it is held in pretty well anyway, but more security is always good.

As for the feedneck itself... I have seen someone file down the 'round' section so that it matches the picatinny rail look, but I don't think I have the talent to make it look good, so will probably just leave it there just flattened off.

Last edited by Scougar; 11-05-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Paroxysm

lol.. yeah, I can see that now (By the way, your link doesn't work).

Seeing all that messy putty makes me cringe. I much prefer metal for robustness, but hopefully it will serve its purpose.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Did a bit more work tonight. Gonna have to rethink some of the mounts though as trying to get it all together is pretty darn tricky.

Here's the progress:
Old 11-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Just a bit of epoxy tonight, nothing special. Sanded a couple of nuts slightly so I can try again with the captive nuts. Not sure what is different this time but the epoxy is pretty solid before I even left the garage. Maybe it was not putting it on to the aluminium do quick (cold), or maybe I used the correct ratio this time. Will see tomorrow, and hopefully it is enough to hold them in place.

The epoxy putty is now fully hardened as well, which is excellent.

Must admit I am wishing I did have a relay reg to use now lol.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #17 (permalink)

wow. I'll be doing a simillar project in a couple of days. an up side down vibe breech and internals squeezed in a cheapo asg gun. going for dmags as they're cheap as dirt. anyway, good to see some nice mods!
Old 11-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
Paroxysm

With the DMAGS, make sure you plan ahead. They feed first strike the opposite way around, and with the magazine itself in the standard mag well, they open at the front of the magazine. You can work around these, or if you don't care about first strike, then it might not be an issue. For me, I wanted to locate the breech as far back as possible, so I used DAM mags. Plus originally I wanted to try and keep the original airline location and for me - before I decided to relocate the air lines - DMAGS would have physically been in the way of the front airlines. If you plan to just flip over the breech, and have the airlines up there (depending on the gun's airline setup) then you will likely have to consider those running on top, much like William Shattner did with his SP-1 conversion.

Take pictures of your work and make a thread :-) Take your time, it's all in the planning and how the pieces fit together.

You need to make a decision about the airlines pretty early on btw, as they have a big impact.

Project Update: After talking to Punisher068, I will DEFINITELY need to get my hands on an impulse/Ion threaded freak back. I want to have a stubby/short/cqb version that doesn't extend beyond the main tubing (i.e. the barrel doesn't show). Will need to keep my eyes peeled I am not sure on the lengths of freak backs as they seemingly come in different lengths, but whatever tip I choose will need to be VERY short, possibly almost a cap just to finish off the threading on the freak back.

Last edited by Scougar; 11-07-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Quickly redid the rear mag well bracket, as I simply wasn't happy with the original implementation. This is a much neater and easier setup now. I have used epoxy but it will actually be bolted in place to the body of the gun.

In this next shot, you can see the much closer fitting bracket on the left of the picture (inside mag well). It will be drilled for a hex bolt when it is all dry tomorrow. Btw, the mag well only looks dirty due to me playing around with some plasti-dip spray (and peeling it off).

There are also several nuts epoxy'd inside the body to aid with easier fitment. Also, the change in the bracket setup should allow me to assemble it now, where as before I was really struggling to get everything secure.

The keen eyed amongst you may have noticed in previous images that there is a small hole in the epoxy putty where the old feedneck was. This facilitates the usage of an Allen key to hold in place and do up the main hex bolt for the front grip.

Last edited by Scougar; 11-07-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Successfully secured the mounting point. Pretty happy with it this time for a prototype.

With the grip frame on the mag well it's totally secure.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions