mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 06-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #191 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Hmm... looking at the spares I have it seems I may have been trying to repair the gun with o-rings that were too big. I didn't realise it was meant to slip inside the banjo housing, I though it sat on top. doh.

Will change the system I use anyway as I don't want this happening again.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #192 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Still not got around to fixing this (i.e. using a metal fitting). I have focused on getting my Etha Magfed project working, and now it does in very basic form, I'll get back to redoing the whole setup on this for higher reliability, and ease of reassembly.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #193 (permalink)
Paroxysm

OK, it is time to simplify the whole setup, because putting it together in it's current state is a complete mare... as was proved with me trying to fix it at the New York state game. As part of this I will be moving the solenoid back to the trigger frame, been a nightmare trying to house it elsewhere and actually do maintenance.

Fittings are SOOO expensive for such small parts :-(

I need:
3 x right angled Tee's (like the clippard one I used for the Etha)
2 x right angled swivel quick disconnect
1 x straight quick disconnect.
1 x barb

That stuff will probably set me back at least 30 dollars. That is just nuts.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:38 AM   #194 (permalink)
MCB Member

Keep up the great work.

As for the cost of parts, I look at it this way. Think of the amount of time it takes you to fix a complicated marker as time you are not on the field which you pay for. In the long run simple and reliable is better.
ilivlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:54 AM   #195 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilivlife View Post
Keep up the great work.

As for the cost of parts, I look at it this way. Think of the amount of time it takes you to fix a complicated marker as time you are not on the field which you pay for. In the long run simple and reliable is better.
Well yes, totally! I lost an entire day of play with me believing I could fix the marker. It took so long to keep stripping down and reassembling. Literally I would fix it, then go to play and it would be down again lol. Doing this will reduce that time massively. Probably to five minutes to strip inspect and put back together, as it will almost be like the original SP-1.

It is kinda gonna be like in this old concept picture, and is what I had always really wanted to do, but at the time I didn't know where to get female fitting to make this possible:

And what I mean is put the board back in the grip:

I would have saved myself a lot of money and hassle if I had done it this way to start with.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #196 (permalink)
EMT's

instead of all that, possible to extend the solenoid contacts... the board will remain in the grip, have extended wires from board to solenoid... solenoid and fittings remain on chamber..

throw in a quick disconnect in the middle and there ya go..
https://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=170725

My Drinking Team Has A Paintball Problem.
------
I Shot The Sheriff,The Deputy And The Ref.. But We All Knew The Ref Had It Coming.
NoX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #197 (permalink)
Paroxysm

That is pretty much what I do already. It's a pain in the *** to maintain that way.

Existing is:
Board in grip.
Solenoid in square section.
Solenoid wired with wired to board + RF transmitter for box mag wired in there with Y harness.

Trying to double back the solenoid airflow is a pain in the butt. (Kinks etc)
Trying not to break the wires is a pain in the butt.
Trying get it all screwed in place is a pain in the butt.

The other thing is that I wanted this project to be something others could copy easily. The whole process of mounting the solenoid in the square section takes so much time, and you have to file off parts of the solenoid, and solder etc. It makes thing potentially unreliable and can put people off.

Also.. if you have to replace a part you have to strip the whole thing down. I am tired of the overhead, and it really put me off fixing it for a while.

I really appreciate the feedback btw! Please don't think I am shooting your down!
Old 06-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #198 (permalink)
Paroxysm

OK... so this project has been in pieces for 5 days short of 2 years, ever since the marker went down in NYC. The issues were two fold:

1) The hose I used went soft in the heat and was popping off the barbs.

Which lead to the next part due to me stripping the marker down again and again..

2) The solenoid's fixed air fitting/banjo wearing out, and not sealing again no matter what I did.

So in short I need to replace all the air fittings, which doesn't really sound like a big deal, except I have to fit it all inside a compact package and do a 180 via other fittings, whilst managing to still fit the solenoid inside the same package (the box section) that is already a squeeze, and... doing it RELIABLY.

Anywho.. I got motivated to FINALLY start working on this again after my recent magfed Etha upgrade/fix work... and the first thing I did... resolder the LED light on the original board that had a cracked joint and wouldn't light up lol.

In the coming days (all being well with time) I will engineer the fix for the solenoid and fittings Looking forward to it.. because in use.. the SP-1 is my favorite gun. So accurate.

On a side note, made me think about my 2nd SP-1 marker as well.. and me needing to get that somewhat finished. Oh.. and started thinking about finishing the final 10% of the boxmag, just for giggles... I am not keen on using it at magfed events.

Last edited by Scougar; 06-19-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Scougar is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions