mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 01-02-2015, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Custom Autococker Frame

I am debating taking the summer off to work for myself rather than do an internship, and have compiled a pretty decent list of projects so far, this being one of them!

This is very premature, but as I am getting more comfortable with my mill I am thinking about doing things a little more custom. I was fortunate to find a good base file for an AC frame, and now it is just a matter of tweaking it to what I/we would like. The good news is, when I get some spare time on the printer I will be able to print out different designs until I find one that is most comfortable. The wonders of 3d printing .

I would love any suggestions you may have on what you would like to see in an AC frame/feel is missing. And like I said, this is very premature, so the design as it sits is far from finished.

Playing with renderings, and man am I terrible at them right now.

AbeShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Paintball is my Obsession

I say curve the trigger guard like the front/rear of the grip. It would make for a very sexy, flowing frame. Even go so far as to have the front swoop backwards like the very early sheridan frames.

I personally love the feel of the mag/cocker single screw grip frames. The angle on the hand feels better to me than a .45 frame. I have a Siler frame and it sits comfortably in the hand. It being styled after Lugers.

There are so many choices of cocker frames, but I think a custom build deserves a proper matching frame, which is hard to do. I think the design of yours coupled with the curvy trigger guard would sit nicely on a Karnivor or a round body gun. Something that flows... like a Nemesis, Westwood, Bonebrake or even a Twister or Ripper. Niche's slider looks great and probably feels as great as it looks, but I think it is just slightly out of sync with the body.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by pghp8ntballer; 01-03-2015 at 03:55 PM.
pghp8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Illusive-Noob

I like it, though I think it would be a bit more comfy if you undercut the trigger guard. Something from real steel I just cant get away from is a high grip. xD

My Feedback ^^
Illusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

I can think of a few suggestions...

Incorporate at least one trigger stop into the frame. It would be great if you could work a rear-travel trigger stop into the design. Pre-travels are much easier to do but by design lower the height of the sear as the trigger length is shortened so it increases the chances of the hammer slipping.

It would also be nice for the frame to include its own trigger plate. Most people will want to use their own roller sear but finding a nice trigger plate that agrees with a certain frame can be hard. Making your own will ensure a very nice trigger pull with minimum side-to-side play. It might even make production easier if you redesign the plate to something similar to what's found in the Resurrection. A redesign of the plate would need to be done anyway if you wanted to incorporate a rear travel stop.

Make the frame as light as possible. Most slide frames are way heavier than necessary, even the Niche frame I held was heavier than expected. The new generation of cocker bodies being released (like the FLE) are super light and they need a slide frame that can do them justice.

My last suggestion is to not worry about the final price. Cocker fanatics will not complain about the price if it's a nice enough frame. I'd happily pay $150 (or even more) if a slide frame met my suggestions above.

Edit: oh yeah, Illusive makes a great point, def undercut the trigger guard. Benchmark frames are hard enough to hold, that curve looks very uncomfortable.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Don't you have a 3d printer?

I would say try some printed frames first to see if you get the feel down before investing in fixtures and such. I have a frame in SW that I just dont want to commit to until I can actually feel that its right before committing to the fixtures and such required to do it.

A wise man once said:
"The gap between theory and reality is not as far in theory as it is in reality."

https://www.tjdcustomhobbies.com
tjd10684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Way ahead of you TJD . The frame is really uncomfortable, which I sort of expected. Like you all said, it is too long, right around the trigger guard. I'm going to try changing it up a bit over the next couple of days to see if I can get something a little more comfortable. If I change it too much, I will probably have to look into custom grips for the frame as well (not that this would be much of an issue).

Old 01-03-2015, 10:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Want to try printing mine?

its more of a pump frame but its something to try. If you have SW 14+ I'll send you the file. if not I can convert it to whatever.

A wise man once said:
"The gap between theory and reality is not as far in theory as it is in reality."

https://www.tjdcustomhobbies.com
tjd10684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Go ahead and send me a PM, I can do that for you (in the next few days). I'd like to discuss just a few small things first if you don't mind.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

I really like where this thread is headed!
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
It would be fun to see a NON 45 frame. So many 45 options out there already.
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions