mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 08-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
I'm more or less questioning the intent and benefit of a spring less cocker valve. I guess it's kind of a cart and horse thing so maybe the intent is to make it work and then see what the benefits are?
I was trying to say the same thing about the valve spring, but you're right, trying it out in an experiment is always worthwhile.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
crash landed

Quote:
I do wonder about the machining quality and size of the area in front of the valve. It wasn't designed to have moving parts in there so I wonder what the surface is like in there and how well an o-ring will hold up.
I was thinking the same. If this becomes a problem, one way to solve it may be to create a thin machined sleeve to fit in the chamber, with static o-rings on the outside, and the inside surface polished to work well with moving seals. Of course, you'd sacrifice a bit of valve chamber and stem face area, but it would be far easier to make it a drop in kit this way than having users rebore and polish the valve chamber to work better with moving seals.

Parts for sale
spaceranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pancake

CCM Fan
I agree that springs are potentially more consistent than force of air pressure. Perhaps some sleeve can be inserted that will be held in place by the valve body. Thanks for your input everybody!!!

Edit was typing this up after you posted space ranger. Should have reloaded the page!!
If one is going to be an ambassador to the sport do your best to try to convey to new players what the sport is about and attempt to convey the same message to the players that are being abusive.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
crash landed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
Edit was typing this up after you posted space ranger. Should have reloaded the page!!
LOL! Great minds...

Parts for sale
Old 08-22-2015, 01:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Certainly a novel idea, and interesting, but a properly sprung/regged cocker shoots so nice already that I can't imagine the gains being anything more than minimal.
I think the main hangup you'll find is that the valve chamber is not properly polished or smooth, so you'd need to perform that mod before installing this ram/valve mod to make it worthwhile.
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Just Some Guy

Magnets? A solenoid tied to a microcomputer that measures air pressure? Hydraulics?

I think the spring is the simplest answer.

My Feedback
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
crash landed

Come on, you cocker guys should be excited about someone making a unique custom part! Im just excited to see a new paintball part thing in action.

Parts for sale
Old 08-23-2015, 06:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

would be much more excited about a blanced valve that compensated for the pressure drop of an almost empty 12 gram...

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
K_Obeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I've heard tell of people running without a valve spring to make certain markers behave if I remember correctly; may have had something to do with running lower pressure. The air pressure definitely helps to seal it and could potentially work of it's own accord since it's essentially a check valve. I would think it would be worthwhile to test this out first; worst that would happen is you vent a tank.

Honestly you wouldn't even need that second o-ring though. If you have a small enough clearance around the outside compared to the holes in the closure mechanism the friction would likely be enough to make the valve close. As stated above though, I'm not convinced this would be absolutely necessary for anything other than when you first air up the marker. You could get around this by cocking the marker and pointing it toward the sky when you air up; if you were thinking about producing this for consumers though, i doubt many people would stand for that sort of procedure.

EDIT: Duh, it's in the Ossum Lizard thread regarding VM-68s. Thought it wasn't that long ago I had seen that.

Last edited by snoopay700; 09-08-2015 at 02:26 PM.
snoopay700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
tsk
Country boy can survive.

As the valve is now (every autococker valve I have every owned) you can take the valve spring out and air pressure closes it. A spring can be put on the other side so it pushes the valve open and it still gets closed (depending on how strong the spring is).
tsk is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions