mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 04-09-2016, 03:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
valve enthusiast

CCM Fan
Halfblocking at home. Updated with pics

Rather than spend 70 bucks to get markers halfblocked, i want to give it a shot.

I plan to pick up 1/4 end mill, cross vise, and just do it on a drill press. I know its dangerous to mill on a drill press, but ill cut/grind/drill away majority of material, and then mill whatever is left.

So my question is: will a cheap 60 dollar cross vise be stable enough to get the slot done without too much trouble?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First Attempt Update 4/22/2016

Well it isnt the outstanding halfblock i intended it to be.. but it works and i did it.

I wouldve been done in about 25 minutes had i just wanted to halfblock, but i wanted to use
the stock back block and bolt. Both of which were a PITA because of the bolt design.

Lessons learned:
End mills are sharper than you think
Secure the hell out of the piece
A 3 jaw chuck wont a hold a bolt vertically too well
The 2 inch xyz controllers are annoying as hell

Keep calm and shoot on.

Ramagupas feedback

Last edited by RaMaGuPa; 04-22-2016 at 09:50 PM.
RaMaGuPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Clueless

I would drill a few holes and then use a dremal. Kinda like connect the dots. so you don't have to mill with a drill press.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
valve enthusiast

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I've thought about doing that too, but the hammer is always what stumps me - honestly the $60 MadCustoms will charge is a bargain. How much are those tools you're going to buy cost you? Factor that with the cost of a replacement body and you're probably over that $60.
True, it can go either way. If it does happen to be successful, then i can halfblock as many bodies as i want and save 60 bucks each time. Im not even willing to attempt the hammer honestly. Unless a drill press can mill hardened steel easier than i think

Hell, if other people have wanted to try it and nobody has then ill be the guinea pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysokz View Post
I would drill a few holes and then use a dremal. Kinda like connect the dots. so you don't have to mill with a drill press.
Roger that. If i do go this route, an xy vise would be wanted anyways i suppose. Or at least a vice that attached to my drill press.

Keep calm and shoot on.

Ramagupas feedback
Old 04-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I did two p-blocks in a drill-press converted to be a poor mans mill like that. My dad built it and loctited the chuck on. Not ideal, but it worked easily enough.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
valve enthusiast

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfan View Post
My dad built it and loctited the chuck on.
interesting. if it works it works, and i am interested in trying this.

new list:
chuck, cross vise, end mills.

almost considering picking up a cheap mill second hand or china made harbor freight. working on pumps has taken precedence over playing and there is still so much that i havent wanted to try without a mill.

Keep calm and shoot on.

Ramagupas feedback
Old 04-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I'll caution you that- one time the whole chuck just wobbled off and tumbled behind the bench. It happened so fast I didn't even have time to react. It never happened again.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Cutting the bodies is easy enough, Dremels with carbon steel burrs and cut off discs will do the trick if you're good with your hands. It'd be better if you have an air powered rotary tool and compressor though, longer lasting.

The hammers, if you're gonna try, get pretty good quality bits. The difference in china made stuff and pricier bits is like night and day.
Angel - The Supermodel we kinda want, but not really
Tippman - She's butch
Automag - The cute girl in yer molecular biology class
BiNumber3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
valve enthusiast

CCM Fan
i bought a mill... a hobby mill: sherline 5000, with indexing attachment, electronic y control, 3 jaw chuck and a set of endmills.

let it begin

Keep calm and shoot on.

Ramagupas feedback

Last edited by RaMaGuPa; 04-17-2016 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

I was gonna say, don't run an endmill in a drill chuck. It's not just that it's dangerous, but in a drill press the spindle bearings are designed to take side loads -- at least in a mill the spindle bearings won't be damaged even if the drill chuck bearings are.

Good call on the Sherline, nice little intro machine. Should do almost anything you need to do for paintball if you're patient and careful.
Pariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
I've run Sherline equipment for years, and Pariel is right... Go slow, be careful, remember that the little machine can do a *ton* of damage to fingers and eyes.

If you plan to machine aluminium, I would suggest a few things... High speed steel (HSS) endmills are inexpensive, and will do just fine. You will experience "edge build up", where aluminium sticks to the end mil. This can be reduced using WD-40, or kerosene, with the warning that both are flammable, and the appropriate precautions be taken.

If you decide to use carbide end mills, do *NOT* start running and then try to add coolant/lubricate until *after* the end mill has cooled. Thermal shock *WILL* break the edge off the carbide end mill every time.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

I am not longer accepting work. Sorry.

I do not have any tubing for sale, nor will I be restocking. Once more, sorry.

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions