mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 03-09-2018, 11:15 PM   #41 (permalink)
Baller

Okaaay.

New Smavs have arrived. Im having the same problem. The timmy airs up just fine - no leaks now - cycles forward when i pull the trigger, and then when i let go of the trigger, the bolt & hammer veeery slowly return back. Im talking a cycle rate of like 0.1 bps.

Im not really sure whats going on. The Smav has been lubed up and doesnt sound like its sticking. If i switch the QEV's around, if i change which air inlet does what - it always seems to be that return motion that goes veeerrrryyy slowly.

My next step is to take all my fittings apart/off, clean the thread sealer off, and see if it works better with some leaks in the line. It was cycling great before i sealed all the leaks. The only thing i can think is that the Smav is binding under pressure... even though it doesnt look like it is.

Heres a link to a video of the issue im having:
https://youtu.be/ugTg0ca9ybg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited by TomsGunShow; 03-09-2018 at 11:20 PM.
TomsGunShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:17 PM   #42 (permalink)
Rainmaker Apologist

How much pressure are you running through the SMAV?

Edit:

Also, watching your video, I can see what I'm guessing is oil moving through the line on the rear port of the SMAV... there seems to be a lot of it. I wonder if you've hydro locked the lines and it can't vent properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtCow View Post
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

My Collection

Last edited by Jordan; 03-10-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #43 (permalink)
Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
How much pressure are you running through the SMAV?

Edit:

Also, watching your video, I can see what I'm guessing is oil moving through the line on the rear port of the SMAV... there seems to be a lot of it. I wonder if you've hydro locked the lines and it can't vent properly.
Im taking the LPR pressure between 0 and about 120psi, so i dont think overpressure is the issue.

The hydrolock idea is something i hadnt considered, but, it was doing exactly the same thing when it was bone dry.

Unfortunately i need to wait until monday before i can tinker more. Im going to disassemble all my air fittings and clean the threadlock off. Ill also clean the lines out. We'll see if it starts working better.

The only other thing i can think of thats different from my initial test that worked (although it was leaking like a civ) is that i put the red pushbutton on the smav. I doubt that would have any effect, but hey, maybe its limiting the range of motion somehow...?

Old 03-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #44 (permalink)
TFGPB

It's because you have it plumbed like a 4-way, not a 3-way. If you use an SMAV-3, you need to set it up to air spring. As you have it, there is no venting through the valve and just a slow leak through the QEV.
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:39 PM   #45 (permalink)
Baller

Well $#!t.

Ok.

So i assume what i need to do is split the line coming from the LPR. One goes to the Smav, the other goes to the front ram barb. Actuating the Smav will need to be set up to supply air to the rear barb, which will push the ram forward to fire the marker. The unused barb on the smav will act as a vent?

Old 03-10-2018, 06:35 PM   #46 (permalink)
TFGPB

More or less, yes. You might be able to get some QEVs to vent enough for your current plumbing method to work, or as you noticed previously if there is a leak it can work. You could potentially add a flow control valve off of a tee to add a well controlled leak and let it cycle.
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #47 (permalink)
Baller

Well because im impulsive and bored, i ordered some Y fittings to split the airflow. Theyre made out of some kind of plastic, so we'll see if they dont rupture.

Id prefer if it wasnt leaking all the time, so ill try both the leak method to relieve pressure, as well as the Y fittings.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #48 (permalink)
Baller

Well cole parmer was taking too long to ship my parts so i bought a metal T join with 1/16 ID hose barbs off amazon...It arrived today.

Everything is still in low pressure mode, which is why theres a bit of a pop, but, I present to you what i have affectionately dubbed: the Sarah Connor mod:

https://youtu.be/NcT-gYqAMRM

https://youtu.be/aU8I8OJCfKU

Thank you to the dozens of folks and businesses who helped make this a possibility (especially Yoda, whos patience with some of my PMs is to be commended).

Will update with shooting vids once i get this to a field.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #49 (permalink)
Baller

Well.

Ive spent quite a while tuning, now and its behaving the same way with real paint that it behaved with reball.

Max 250fps, can do 230 - 240 consistently, and eats air like me eating pizza after a day-long game of paintball. If i tuned it back so ot was just making 230, it would probably be a little more efficient... but i have a better idea.

I have decided that the SMAV-3 is not the correct air fitting. I think the problem with the velocity, and the efficiency, is that the constant air cushion at the front of the ram is creating enough resistance to the ram travelling forward that the LPR needs to be cranked to overcome it.

I have a clippard MAV-4 on its way. Its a miniature, spring return 4-way. I might need to redesign the cradle in the grip, but i think i have that down to a fine art now, so that should be ok.

With the MAV-4, my hope is that i wont need a constant air cushion anymore, which would allow me to run the LPR at a lower pressure, and hopefully more closely mimic the function of the solenoid that should be in there.

Will update when i know more.

Last edited by TomsGunShow; 06-14-2018 at 11:11 AM.
TomsGunShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:30 PM   #50 (permalink)
Rainmaker Apologist

I think you might be happier with a Cocker 4way... the Mav4 is a little bulky and has a longer throw than the SMAV.

Either way I'm looking forward to seeing this progress. I have most of a Pimp that I could do this to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtCow View Post
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

My Collection
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions