mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 03-17-2018, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Pump PMR

I've been wanting to build a spool valve pump of some sort for the longest time.

I know there are all kinds of ions out there, but I can't stand smart parts and I'd rather not have to get into another barrel thread.

I would really like to do one that's closed bolt. I have ideas, but I think the only way to achieve that is with custom machined bolt parts, and I don't want to get into all that.

I was looking at animations and it looks like a pmr would be pretty simple to do. Constant air supply to the dump chamber, pump to set the bolt back, vent (via the trigger) to release the bolt. It looks like the chamber stays empty until the bolt is reset, so it basically be like the ion pumps.

Update:
Work in progress

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Macdave06; 03-27-2018 at 02:03 AM.
Macdave06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've meched a post 2011 PMR using the Two Fat Guys Ion conversion so doing a pump mod seems doable
They also have (had) a closed bolt kit for Ions
I also have a pump Ion done by Ed Peterson, it's awesome
There isn't alot of meat or strength in the triggerframe so it may be difficult to mount the pump to it

Ions(Extcy)and PMRs are VERY similar, anything you can do with one you can likely do with the other with alot of work
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tinkerer

What I'm thinking to mount the pump handle is either a barrel mounted one, or a ring on the VA to attach the guide like this. O-----

I've seen the closed bolt ion stuff. I'm not seeing a way to modify what's there on a pmr to get to that point though. I'd need a 2 piece bolt, where the bolt can stay forward, and the sail can come back to seal the dump chamber. I'm not seeing any way to hold the sail back without the bolt. So for now I'm sticking with an open bolt pump.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Not Addicted

CCM Fan
The problem with the pmr is that it uses air to reset the bolt. I don’t see you you could separate the bolt being reset from the venting of the air to fire the gun. If you pump the bolt back manually you’d still have to use air to hold the bolt back so you could release the air to let the bolt forward. You’d be better off using a Dye DM platform. It’s got a balanced bolt and uses air separate from the dump chamber on either side of the bolt to move it forward and back. All you’d have to do is stop air from resetting the bolt and use a push rod to move it back. The firing could be done by using a Msv-2 valve to supply air to the back of the bolt.

My feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
ArmyOfOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyOfOne View Post
The problem with the pmr is that it uses air to reset the bolt. I dont see you you could separate the bolt being reset from the venting of the air to fire the gun. If you pump the bolt back manually youd still have to use air to hold the bolt back so you could release the air to let the bolt forward. Youd be better off using a Dye DM platform. Its got a balanced bolt and uses air separate from the dump chamber on either side of the bolt to move it forward and back. All youd have to do is stop air from resetting the bolt and use a push rod to move it back. The firing could be done by using a Msv-2 valve to supply air to the back of the bolt.
Very simple. You use a valve on the pump to supply air to the bolt to set it back. Then, you use another valve inline to vent said air, which allows to bolt to fire. The same way it operates normally, I would just be separating the actions.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Have you seen how Eds pump Ions work?
Cocking the handle locks the 3way and trigger,pulling the trigger releases the lock,firing the gun
It's simple yet brilliant and quiet as a mouse fart
BTW the fittings on the 2011 to current PMRs use the same 10/32 fittings as Ions,Extcy etc,the GoG QEV will work on it also
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Just be careful with the year variations. The 2007-2010 versions are a completely different gun than the 2011+ versions.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tinkerer

I'm wanting to do the 07 body style. More meat to work with. That's the bolt kit I've been referencing.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCI Phantom Fan
How about the proto slg?
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintzapper View Post
How about the proto slg?
I had one for a short while. I could never get it to function long enough to even play with.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions