mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 08-10-2018, 03:25 AM   #71 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Made a few decisions this week...

1. I'm going with metric fasteners wherever possible. They're easier to deal with by far, and I have dozens of screw types on hand. It'll be a little bit of a standards mish-mash, but hey...that's Canadian engineering for you.

2. I'm going to do the magwell as two clamshell halves, so that I can extend it down further along the magazine without worrying about dealing with a long cutter. It will also make some of the geometry around the mag spring release and feed easier to create.

3. I sucked it up and bought a cocker(ish) barrel thread tap to save some time.

4. Finally decided on how I wanted to mate the magwell. I'll probably end up moving the interface slightly higher to avoid thin walls, but this is the gist:

I've got three weeks left, so it's balls to the wall to get machining.

The frame is essentially done, just need to finalize the ULE windowing and rear frame screw positioning. (Just going with a simple hole and a button-head screw.)

The body needs detents and a mounting boss. I'm considering adding a couple bosses that hold it from the side as well for stability...if I can turn the body as a single piece I can skip that.

Once I've finalized the magwell and body mounts, I can slim the rail down and add some accessory holes and cosmetic milling.

Last edited by russc; 08-10-2018 at 03:34 AM.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #72 (permalink)
MCB Member

Magwell looks nice!

What do you have in mind for the support hand up front? I keep looking for that little box at the front of the rail to morph a bit.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #73 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Ergonomically, I really prefer a flat plane that sits close to the barrel. That box just in front of the magwell will be extended to nearly full width, and I think I'll tap some accessory holes on the flat rail area which will let me keep my options open in the future. I was thinking I'd either mill or print an ergonomic handrest that will just bolt in up there. If I need to adjust it, printing and iterating will be really easy.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #74 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
Ergonomically, I really prefer a flat plane that sits close to the barrel. That box just in front of the magwell will be extended to nearly full width, and I think I'll tap some accessory holes on the flat rail area which will let me keep my options open in the future. I was thinking I'd either mill or print an ergonomic handrest that will just bolt in up there. If I need to adjust it, printing and iterating will be really easy.
Yeah, I wasn't expecting much more than some mounting area.

IDK if it matters with these magazines, but everyone seems to love a flared magazine well.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:27 AM   #75 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Figured out the mag release. Had to do some silly stuff to capture the dowel pin now that I've extended the magwell. The milled flat recess is for a steel cover which will also act as a flexure spring to return the mag release lever.

I'm going to use captured dowel pins at the bottom of the magwell clamshell, I can just permanantly loctite it together. There's really no functional reason to go clamshell except for my machining limitations...so may as well just permanantly attach the halves. btw, I am intending to add a dowel at the front bottom as well...there's just other more exciting stuff to do right now.

This project is just hilarious feature creep after hilarious feature creep! I'm a few metric furlongs past the point of over-engineering things. hahaha

Last edited by russc; 08-11-2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:47 AM   #76 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Getting there...you can see that I've decided to attach the body with horizontal bosses. There isn't much meat on these bodies except right around the breech, and because of the bottom-fed design, I can't put any vertically oriented screws in that area. This will be a little more annoying to manufacture, but I think it's a good solution. Might add another attachment point up front as well to really keep things secure.

Of course, it does start to beg the question, why am I constraining myself with the round body of the original gun? Good friggin question...I'm going to head to bed soon but I think it's worth considering whether the whole front section of the body should just have a flat interface with the rail. It would definitely make orienting the workpiece easier.

If I had the necessary tools, I'd be doing the PTP Micromag-style integrated rail and body, no question.

P.S. it kills me that adding chamfers and fillets can destroy reference geometry from flat edges...is there an option to preserve those relations when filleting? I'm trying to keep myself honest accounting for endmill radiuses...es...

3D printing is so great for reality checks...it's easy to lose sense of scale in CAD, and then you hold it in your hands and realize that you need to beef things up.

Last edited by russc; 08-11-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:45 AM   #77 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Old 08-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #78 (permalink)
MCB Member

Old 08-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #79 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Nice!

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak, Freak XL compatible and Equation inserts in .670, .678, and .685

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO

Follow Brass Monkey Customs on Instagram and Facebook (work in progress)
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:55 PM   #80 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Everything looks better with wood furniture, haha...

If I'm lucky, I'll be able to sneak my parts into a black anodizing order at work. If I miss it I might go with a powder coat.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions