mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 07-02-2018, 12:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Another pump spool idea

I recently picked up a dp g3. I was planning to just get it shooting and flip it, but of course I can't just leave well enough alone. I remember seeing threads on here a while back about doing mech or pump conversions to one, but no one ever followed through from what I've seen.

I like to try and figure out things that 'can't be done', so I came up with an idea that may actually work. So long as the chamber can be capped off midway, it could work. At least as a pump.

I'm gonna draw up some really fancy diagrams (yeah right) and bounce ideas off you guys. Hang tight.
Macdave06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Here's the concept.

On paper it seems like it would work. My only worry would be if the dump chamber would fill fast enough. Normally its supplied constantly. As soon as it empties there's air coming in to fill it. It's through a pretty small port, judging by the plugs in the front of the body (6-32?), but it's not limited by how long a valve stays open.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mrs. Harbinger the void

You'll have to forgive me as it's late and I'm thick but intrigued. So D serves as your trigger and releases the pressure in front of the bolt. I'm unfamiliar with this type of 4 way. The forward pressure (holding the bolt) vents out at D to begin the firing cycle? Next, the bolt goes forward, dump chamber vents fully, and the bolt stays forward until A is cycled. This sends air via B to both the front and rear chambers but pressure will rise faster in front chamber due to lower volume and the bolt retracts.

As this is must be asked for real world applications. What happens when A is cycled while D is open? A and D are manually operated. Won't air blast out at D?
spece108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spece108 View Post
You'll have to forgive me as it's late and I'm thick but intrigued. So D serves as your trigger and releases the pressure in front of the bolt. I'm unfamiliar with this type of 4 way. The forward pressure (holding the bolt) vents out at D to begin the firing cycle? Next, the bolt goes forward, dump chamber vents fully, and the bolt stays forward until A is cycled. This sends air via B to both the front and rear chambers but pressure will rise faster in front chamber due to lower volume and the bolt retracts.

As this is must be asked for real world applications. What happens when A is cycled while D is open? A and D are manually operated. Won't air blast out at D?
Both A and D would be manually operated 2-way valves. A being the pump, D being the trigger. On my PMR pump I used mav-2p (1/8 input) and mav-2 (10-32) valves. They're normally closed with one input, one output, and a stem to actuate. The only way A and D would be open simultaneously is if you were to pump while you held the trigger down. In which case, it would probably just vent.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
TFGPB

Conceptually, it would work just fine. You could muck with chamber pressure by not having the pump valve actuated long enough to thoroughly fill the chamber and get inconsistent velocities as a result.

Not sure the best way to plug the integrated airlines in a G3 or G4, but theoretically sound.
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0da900 View Post
Conceptually, it would work just fine. You could muck with chamber pressure by not having the pump valve actuated long enough to thoroughly fill the chamber and get inconsistent velocities as a result.

Not sure the best way to plug the integrated airlines in a G3 or G4, but theoretically sound.
That was my thought too. I think that could probably be worked around by upping the pressure and taping the back plug like a 'tophat mod'. Or with practice lol.

As far as plugging the holes goes... they run from the front of the body through the VASA. Assuming a standard tap is long enough it should be as simple as running it through one into the other. Or possibly upping the size on the outer to access the inner more easily. I'm not sure there's enough material for that option though.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Someone needs to talk me out of this before I start another project. It needs a board so it's even more tempting. Although I can get a board for like 10-15 bucks.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
TFGPB

y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tinkerer

I'm sure I probably will. I was already trying to figure out how to adapt a relay to make it a gas thru grip setup.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tinkerer

OK. Now I just need someone to buy some stuff so I can fund this. Anyone need a dp solenoid?

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions