mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 09-01-2018, 11:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hal
MCB Member

Sl68-2 Mag fed First Strike

20190725_095711_compress18.jpg

20190725_095400_HDR_compress99.jpg

20190725_094943_HDR_compress61.jpg
Original post:
Has anyone tried this?

This is a brainstorm thread. Any ideas are welcome.

I'm thinking the vortex mag conversion kit for the A5 would be a good place to start.

Cut off the feed neck and weld the magazine reciever to the sl68II body at the corrrect angle?

Update 1 : Proof of concept
I have made some progress on this project. I decided to use the mag feed conversion kit for the Tippmann 98. I chopped off the feed neck of the Sl68-2 and cut down a 98 custom body to attatch to the Sl68-2 (drilled and tapped a hole to connect the two pieces with a bolt).

https://imgur.com/a/l82ssL8

https://imgur.com/a/SaNHPKZ

Before I shaped the breach to accept first strike rounds, I tested with round balls. It fed flawlessly. So at the very least I have created an ugly mag fed SL68-2.

I modifyed the tipx mag to accept first strikes. The first round in the magazine feeds into the breach perfectly. The second round however is where I'm having issues. The fins of the second and subsequent rounds are getting caught up on the front bolt oring and jamming when I cycle the marker. I have tried alternating rounds in the magazine (FSR-roundball-FSR, ect). This has yielded mild success but is not what I want for the finished project.

I have a couple of ideas I'm going to test out to prevent the fins from catching the front bolt oring. Wish me luck!

Update 2: I would call this project working. Solved the feeding issue by using a wall anchor to prevent the round in the breech from feeding too far (see photo below).

I purchased an 18" Sl68 barrel. The first strike rounds were just slightly too small for the id of the barrel. Decided to add three wedgits to hold the round in place. Used a punch and hammer with a wooden dowel in the barrel to prevent mis-shaping. The wedgits hold the round enough so that it will not slide down the barrel, but it will move past the wedgits with just alittle finger push.

I tested this process on two old sl68 barrels I had. The first barrel I only used one wedgit. It was too deep of a dent for the first strike round but it works great for regular paintballs. The second barrel I decided on three wedgits and took my time with light hammer hits and testing after each.

I've run three magazines of first strike rounds (5 fs rounds and a paintball on the follower) with only one jam on the final first strike round of the third mag.

Field testing, chrono, and accuracy testing are next. With some further tweeking to the feed system I think this will be a fun little marker.

Last edited by Hal; 07-25-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
68 Cal Junkie

Ok, I am following this. I have been thinking about this too - turning down a rifled barrel, and doing something with the feedneck to allow for FS rounds. Lets see where this goes.
spymongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
COB
MCB Member

They sell the plastic Dmag wells for $20.00 Why buy the vortex kit?
I have all of the stuff for this thread. Let me lay it out and see where there are issues.
COB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Can’t weld a SL68 II it’s cast. I filled (jB weld) and cut the feed neck off one. Then I enlarged the opening on the left side of the marker so you can hand feed First Strikes into one for a friend. You would need to find a way to attach a magwell without welding. Maybe a rail over the top to make it take mags. It could be done but you have to do a lot of work just to get it to feed FS first. Then figure out the magwell.

BB99D08D-C1DD-4373-A733-4735D22B2C1C.jpg
FC27BCDC-424F-49EF-B6F9-6D1479197357.jpg
Old 09-03-2018, 12:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
COB
MCB Member

the pics above make it clear that there is not enough body to add a commercially available mag well. If you mounted a mag well it would have to be on the top or side. Operating rod aside, there is not enough body in front of the trigger guard. The DAM and Dmag wells are too long. The Tippmann mag well could be modified for top or side mount, but still to long for the bottom. You would have to upgrade the TPX mags for first strike. Or you could try the 1/2 DAM mag, magazine with a custom made mag well. Not sure if that will fit better than the TPX mag well. Either way it will have a STEN look.
COB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
68 Cal Junkie

Mr Idiot Box, what was that deadlywind threaded for when it left the factory? Did you turn it down to fit or did you bore out the reciever?
spymongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hal
MCB Member

Updated original post with progress pictures and description.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hal
MCB Member

Second update added to first post.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions