mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 02-01-2019, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Apollo LCD rebuild/reframe

I posted this up earlier this week but took it down... I wanted to get some better pictures of the gun and maybe some more details.

A friend gave me this Apollo LCD last weekend... and while I wasn't sure what I was going do with it initially, I knew it needed some attention regardless - the breech pins were seized in the Rotobreech and needed to be extracted, the battery was completely flat and starting to leak, and the gun needed some serious cleaning on the inside.

I started by pulling it all apart and cleaning it up... the breech pins were pulled and cleaned/polished, the internals were removed and cleaned/resealed as necessary, and the rest of the exterior was scrubbed in hot soapy water. After that I assessed the electronics - I used my other LCD as a test mule and connected it's battery to the Apollo board. The board lit up, turned on, and worked amazingly, and once the Apollo's solenoid was plugged in, it worked too.

Unfortunately, the Apollo frame needed some helicoils for the bottomline screws, the trigger had been modified by a previous owner, and a new battery was going to run a little over $50 after shipping, so I decided to see what else I could come up with.

I still have the electronic setup from my Rainmaker that I'm not planning on using, and happen to have an extra Pimp board and remnants of a harness that I was able to piece together. With some careful measuring I discovered that I could mount the Pimp frame with minimal modifications to the body.... I'd only have to drill and tap one hole, in an area that looked to have more than enough metal to do so.

The frame was mounted and checked for clearance, the hole marked, and then everything disassembled for the body's trip to the drill press. Once drilled and tapped, I put everything together, finished wiring up the harness, plugged a fresh 9V in, and aired it up... and it all worked!

After than it was just some fine tuning... I set the dwell to 14ms, adjusted the LPR to spec, and then set the ram snap ring and depth. I spent some time chronying it today and it seems pretty good - with a Rotor and the detent set properly I can really lean on the trigger, more than I really will ever need.

Anyways, after all that, here's the picture of the final product.

This picture is deceiving... it's rougher than it looks, which is why I felt ok about modifying it.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

My Collection

Last edited by Jordan; 02-03-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
How do I turn this on?

As rough as it may be, I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmtnphantom View Post
And no one should take my above comment as me saying that I am good at this game. I'm nothing more than a suicidal lemming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I'm gonna pop some aggs.
Only got 20 rounds in my pocket.
I'm huntin'
Looking for some cover,
This is ****ing awesome.
moving_target is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Looks great, it looks like the frame was meant to be on that body.
ilivlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilivlife View Post
Looks great, it looks like the frame was meant to be on that body.
I think so too.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

What's the pimp board look like? Always looking for boards that could potentially be retrofit into different stuff. Right now my go to retrofit board is the pmr/7 but you never know.
Macdave06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdave06 View Post
What's the pimp board look like? Always looking for boards that could potentially be retrofit into different stuff. Right now my go to retrofit board is the pmr/7 but you never know.
It's pretty big. I don't see it fitting into any frames other than a Pimp frame, and it's kind of limited in it's adjustments. Max dwell is 20ms, I think, so it won't run many spoolies.

You're better off with a PMR/7 board, they seem a bit more versatile and they're much smaller.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

My Feedback

My Collection
Old 02-08-2019, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mrs. Harbinger the void

I dig running the Maxflow straight in. I ran my V6 that way for years after the stock reg had problems initially.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I figured being older tech it probably wasn't, but I had to ask. Another one I recently discovered that seems to be a good candidate is the etek 2 board. Similar layout to the PMR board and OLED if you wanna get fancy.

Related to your project... Since you said the body is already beat up, and the pimp board is capable, this would be a perfect candidate for adding eyes. I have an 01 dark I put a DM4 frame/board on. I've always planned to put eyes on it, but I don't have the balls to drill it lol.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdave06 View Post
I figured being older tech it probably wasn't, but I had to ask. Another one I recently discovered that seems to be a good candidate is the etek 2 board. Similar layout to the PMR board and OLED if you wanna get fancy.

Related to your project... Since you said the body is already beat up, and the pimp board is capable, this would be a perfect candidate for adding eyes. I have an 01 dark I put a DM4 frame/board on. I've always planned to put eyes on it, but I don't have the balls to drill it lol.
I'd love to put eyes on it, but I'm not sure where to drill them... what's the usual location for breakbeam eyes? Lower in the breech, or centered?

Maybe I can find someone who will do it cheaply enough... I have zero dollars into the build so far, and I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something that will rarely get used.

The reality is that for rec play even a blind Angel is overkill, and that's all I play when I get a chance to get out, which is not very often these days.

My Feedback

My Collection
Old 02-09-2019, 04:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

I actually have my body marked where I was told to drill. If you hunt you can probably find the specs. Just behind center toward the bottom of the breech. I had originally talked to Tim (paintballtek) about drilling it. He was at our local shop where they had a mill, but that place is gone now. 1549743979991.jpeg

Last edited by Macdave06; 02-09-2019 at 04:31 PM.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions