mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 10-01-2019, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Shocker SFT pump idea

Had a crazy thought about making a pump sft. Having made an adapter plate that goes from the manifold to M3 barbs I thought I could not only make a mech but a pump as well. Unlike my mech version this pump version needs a sprung HE bolt.

Get some 1/8 NPT all thread and run it from the vasa gauge port and rotate the gauge port to face forward. Have someone turn me a pair of brass bushings to let a normal pump handle fit nice. They would be adjustable which is nice. Spring it normally and run the pump rod back. Hopefully there is a pump rod thats about the right length. Make some slots in the frame for a sled, some sheet metal might work or 3D printing. This sled when moved back would depress the lever from a msv-2 valve which lets air flow from the center source on the manifold into a tee. This tee runs to a piston that holds the trigger forward (will work like an autotrigger) and through a check valve that fills the front of the bolt to "recock". When the pump handle comes forward again the front of the bolt stays under pressure thanks to the check valve but the piston vents so you can pull the trigger. The trigger also operates a second msv valve tee'd to the check valve and front of the bolt so that when the trigger is pulled the air holding the bolt back vents. The spring behind the bolt will then move the bolt and fire the ball. The HE is important to make sure the bolt seals the supply off so it has consistent velocity.

Just some crazy nonsense but I thought I would share.
The_Hyren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
VoodistMonk

Nice.

Forgive the ignorant question, but would this also work on the NXT so long as you have a sprung bolt?

I don't know the difference between the SFT and the NXT, because I hate Smart Parts... but I love Evil, so it's highly likely that I will own an NXT someday. And I also hate batteries, so a pump action Evil NXT would be TITS!
DavidBoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

NXT would take a little more in terms of mods. The vasa is different and cant be rotated so you would need to have someone drill and tap your vasa for 1/8th NPT on the front face. Otherwise nothing else needs changed.

NXTs namely just have the different vasa, body milling, nicer detents and eye covers, breakbeam eyes, and the nicer frame that's dovetail milled on the bottom and has more room to walk the trigger. They also changed all the frame pins and trigger pin to screws so they can be removed easily. Also while I don't have proof they feel a bit heavier.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
VoodistMonk

Sweet. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

NXT's can run SFT ASA's though. Just wouldn't match if it's a PL body.

Most are defintely are a bit heavier too, more meat on the bodies.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
VoodistMonk

Evil didn't do anything fancy for their NXT vertical ASA, so it would be a nonissue to switch it out if it makes the rest of this easier.

Could you forego the sled and pump rods, and mount the msv-2 up front under the pump guide rod, and just run the air lines into the frame/manifold? You could make a pump handle that shrouds/protects the switch easily enough.

The pump only needs to travel backwards 1/16th of an inch and only requires 10oz of force! Lol.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

MSV are relatively large so it being up front is a no go. Ideally it would be nice to get one of those valved pump handles and guides I have seen on a couple pneumatic assist pumps. Sadly they are very custom units. Second the pump rod and sled situation is an easy way to give the handle some rigidity which without you would have to be very clever to make it feel solid.

Last edited by The_Hyren; 10-06-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

You could use a push button type 2 way like a mav-2.tapatalk_367981725.jpg
Macdave06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdave06 View Post
You could use a push button type 2 way like a mav-2.Attachment 73823

I plan to use a pair! One for trigger and one for the sled recock.

Also is that a g3? That build is weird...
Old 10-31-2019, 02:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

It is a g3. Got it practically free and the optic sensor wasn't working, so I decided to test a theory.
I used a pair for a PMR pump as well.
Macdave06 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions