mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 11-04-2019, 01:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lord of Bones

Paintgun Blade: Fixing a 25 year old design flaw.

So I've had my paintgun blade II for a few weeks now, and I oddly really like the gun. That being said it is also completely unusable because of the poorly designed breach & detent system. Fortunately however, the entire breach system drops out of the gun.

How difficult would it be for someone to machine a new breach that takes cocker detents? Or hell even 3D print a new breach?

Assuming its possible/do able, is there anyone here who would be willing to do it? To be honest I'm not really sure where to go with a project like this, but I can visualize what needs to be done quite easily. I'd love to get this monstrosity shooting in a way no blade has ever shot before.

Thanks guys!
Myrkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Maybe ask Rainmaker. He just did something similar with the er2 and er2s. All 3d printed.
Halcyon, K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Pics would help.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord of Bones

Pictures

The gun in question:

The two springs on the bottom of the breach that are supposed to be detents have necessitated a unique bolt design.

I suspect that this bolt design creates a stupid amount of blowback up into the hopper, which is why the stock breach has holes for venting it everywhere. I checked the sizes and I should have zero problems modifying a random (and completely round) delrin bolt to work in the event a new breach is made. What I'm hoping someone can do is to make a drop in breach that is center-feed, non-reversible, and takes two autococker detents.

It should also be noted that when attaching the breach to the gun you need to be very careful to align it perfectly or it will pinch the bolt.

I'm pretty okay with the stock barrel for now, if we can figure out how to fix all of the breach issues I'm sure I can find someone to build a custom barrel for it down the road.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Touches self, frequently.

PPS Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Interesting, it looks like someone has drilled an additional four vent holes in the breech.
William the Third is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord of Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by William the Third View Post
Interesting, it looks like someone has drilled an additional four vent holes in the breech.
I'm 90% sure those holes are stock. I bought this gun LNIB. The origional owner said he bought it new, used it twice, and its sat in storage ever since. Since this is the slightly later model blade II I'm thinking those holes were added at the factory in an attempt to alleviate the hopper blow back and fix the feed issues.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
sounds like a lot of work to see if it will help any. maybe try spider detents instead of the springs? fill the springs slots with silicone and stuff some in to see if it does anything to help before spending big bucks on a new breach and bolt. you could mod the bolt temporily with silicone as well to test out the whole works. It won't last long,but it might prove the point before going whole hog on that paperweight lol.l
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I was going to suggest some solid urethane detents of the same shape as the springs to stop the gas, but that wouldn't fix the upper flats on the bolt. With that big flat on the bolt bottom, do the recesses in the reciever do anything? They look like they are for the springs, but are hardly needed. Maybe the breech was originally designed for a round bolt?

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Touches self, frequently.

PPS Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
I'm 90% sure those holes are stock. I bought this gun LNIB. The origional owner said he bought it new, used it twice, and its sat in storage ever since. Since this is the slightly later model blade II I'm thinking those holes were added at the factory in an attempt to alleviate the hopper blow back and fix the feed issues.
Interesting. The original breech design already had blowback vents (the square holes on each side) which are anodized, where as these holes were drilled later. While most pictures I've found show just the typical square holes on both the Blade and Blade II, I did find another Blade II that had the same additional unanodized round holes. It's possible these were done to later models to help with blowback. These could have been a mod done by a shop or individual before selling them new, or as an upgrade service. The fact that two side of the breech are also bare aluminum also seems interesting. The mods done after anodizing make me suspect this wasn't done from the factory, but then again, who knows, stranger things have happened.
William the Third is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Dude, I told you I'd make you one. You just need a little patience, there's a couple of customers ahead of you.

Point in fact, I'd been thinking about making myself one (in an admittedly kind of vague way) since I got mine. That and maybe a Freak barrel... How 'bout that, have the only (or one of two, anyway) aftermarket barrels ever, in existence, for the Blade?

It's kind of a pity all the local players are basically noobs- they have no idea about markers in general, just what the field rents and what they see on the shelves at Wal-Mart (which are M98s and some bubble-packed blowback crap-o-matic.)

If I showed up at the field with a tricked out Blade, nobody'd bat an eye. To them, it's just some non-rental, and if it's a personally owned gun, that means it must be something cool, probably a machine gun, we wanna be on HIS side!

My schedule is packed through November. If you can stand waiting a bit, I'll make ya one- maybe even a new bolt, too. (Again assuming the B1 uses the same bolt as a B2.)

Drop me a line in a week or so, I'll have a better idea what my schedule is like.

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions

« Custom auto-cocker | - »