mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 01-30-2020, 01:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Zombie Bait

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
The FrankenMag: Magfed AGD FSR Slinger

Its about time I write a full post on this bad boy since its nearly impossible to explain exactly whats going on just by looking at pictures.

This ugly bastard right here is probably one of the happiest accidents I've ever put together. Made entirely out of spare parts from other projects, this FrankenMag really ended up surprising me with how good it turned out.

Okay... where to start? WELL, it all began when I started working on my VSS build and I was testing out engines to drop into the airsoft body I had. The initial idea was to use a TIPX for the internals. That idea failed as soon as I realized I'd need a variety of custom fabricated air lines to accomplish my goal - but not before I had already cut and modified a TIPX breach to accept Milsig Squarehead magazines. The second idea was to drop an Automag into it, so I acquired one and got to work trying to make that fit, but in the end it was just too fat to sit as low as it would need to. So there went that idea.

So there I was, sitting with a TIPX breach that was heavily modified, and 90% of an old AGD Classic valve, beat up body, jacked up frame, and an otherwise untouched polymer grip. HOWEVER, I was also sitting on a heavily chopped up Remington 700 VTS polymer stock I had used for a first-draft Hammer 7 build that eventually got a newer, less beat up version of the same stock. With all these mismatched parts sitting in my workshop collecting dust and no way to recoup any of the money I had already sunk into these parts, a horribly dumb drunken idea came into my head: "Why not just... you know... glue em all together?"

So that's what I did!

I was able to fabricate a shockingly well functioning FSR breach by chopping the AGD body (a cheap one... no collectible parts to be found in this bad boy) right at the feedneck where the bolt stop is welded in and JB Welding the TIPX breach in place. How I was able to align it properly I will never truly know, but hell, it works so why question it.

After that it was just a matter of gluing a whole bunch of scraps together. I chopped the old stock down to size, JB'd an M17 paddle magwell to the left side, and glued a 15* ASA to the back of the rail. From then on I just kept adding random parts just cuz they were there. The top rail is the bottom rail off a TIPX. The aluminum perforated barrel shroud is an old wind chime. The carry handle and sights are from airsoft guns and a TGR2 respectively. Basically its all just a bunch of cosmetic crap! The only really nice thing on here is probably the Hammerhead Demo barrel: the .686 rifled bore shoots Firsties pretty damn good. And because of the TIPX breach, finding sizer fins in A5 thread is cheap and easy - no twist lock BS to be found here.

...And that's about that. It went through a few iterations here and there but I think I'm finally done... As done as any project like this will ever be at least. Besides a FUBAR sear causing a surprising RT effect in early tests, it shoots great, just like any AGD. No issues with the bolt or FSR flips, mostly because of how I cut the breach.

EDIT: Including more photos. Previous iterations and some detail shots.

VSS Vintorez Closed Bolt Mech Ion | Magfed AGD FrankenMag | M14 Mech Ion | First Strike Round Ammo Can | Feedback

Last edited by Calavera357; 02-07-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Calavera357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
President Ragnastock

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
A true Franken-build. I dig it
Old 01-30-2020, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Deplorable...

Mad genius right there

past & present https://www.freewebs.com/non-inflammable/

my feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Barrack Hussein Obama: The biggest fraud ever perpetrated upon the American people

freedom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
I need this!

Man, you come up with some crazy junkyard builds. Looks like fun.

Always looking for a Woodland Camo F1 Illustrator. Got an extra?
Rusty Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

This my kind of gun!!
ReconSWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Bait

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
I'll try to get a shooting video up soon-ish. Gotta drive a ways to get my SCUBA filled now that I've moved and time for PB has been limited in the last couple years.
VSS Vintorez Closed Bolt Mech Ion | Magfed AGD FrankenMag | M14 Mech Ion | First Strike Round Ammo Can | Feedback
Old 02-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
That's all kinds of awesome!

www.okcompanypaintball.com

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
scphantom9195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Bait

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Edited original post with a few more pics.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Anything Mech

with the boxmag on the side it distinctly reminds me of an fg42 for some reason, a gun that I have a particular affinity for, so some plus points from me there
Rdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zombie Bait

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdav View Post
with the boxmag on the side it distinctly reminds me of an fg42 for some reason, a gun that I have a particular affinity for, so some plus points from me there
Thank you, that is very much what I was going for!

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions