mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 06-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
A possible idea for developing some East Coast pump play

I have two thoughts here. They both stem from the lack of participation in pump tournaments on the East Coast.

First, a few groups have tried to organize pump only tournaments and there hasn't been much traction. There's definitely a collection of pump players on the East but not quite enough. RC is in central VA, there's a few DC area pumpers (Revolution and the like) New Yorl and New Jersey have some pumpers and then you have to go up to MA/VT before you find another collection of pumpers.

We need to get some people behind pump tournament events but it's going to be hard to convince a field owner to give up walk on entries to host a few teams that are not buying lots of paint.

Idea 1:
Talk someone into hosting a dirt cheap pump tourney. Something like $50/team, no prizes, just pride on the line.

Idea 2:
What about a hybrid tourney? 5 man teams, with only 2 electros on the field at once? Then if you've got 5-6 pumpers you can spread those guys among 2 teams instead of just fielding one.

Just putting it out there, any thoughts
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Rubber Duckies are in the Albany area of NY... which happens to be right next door to Ma... and down and to the left from VT Hornets Nest... south of Albany has hosted Pump tournies... I know First Prize (outside of Albany) has hosted pump tournies.... Tug hosts tournies and just had a pump only game at his field in CT.

Freedom has his Pump and Pistol nights in NJ. Nh Blizzard is in NH (Painthappy/Carter is on that team)

EMR hosts Pump Pandemonium every year in the summer (usually upwards of 100+ players)

Pump play is alive and well up here. I think the time and commitment to join teams isn't always there.. but people are more than willing to do pump in rec. play.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
THE Green Modster

Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Yankee Paintball in South Western CT is doing a Gravity League tournament this August.
They have a pretty solid little group of pumpers with some amazing talent.

I know you mentioned it being strong in MA but if you are talking pump paintball in MA I think Xtreme in Agawam needs to be mentioned.

I think both of your ideas have potential. I think the key though is to find a pump friendly field, maybe we could make a map/list of the ones we know of, and support the hell out of them. If you have a pump team and you can, give them space on your jersey, organize pump days where you try to get every pumper within a hour or two to show up for some fun.

Speedball is popular because thats what people see. People see others playing pump, doing well at it, and having a good time and the only thing that will stop them from trying it out is if no one there hands them a gun to try for a few games.

Edit Pump Pandamonium last year was 186 IIRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post2063667

Master Jar Jar
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Speedball is also popular because some fields force feed it to rec players as the only field they can rec. play on. I know of two fields locally that are like that.

E
Old 06-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Yeah, all good points, and I'm familiar with the pump speedball teams in the NE but I've also known of at least three pump tournaments over the last year that just didn't pan out due to lack of interest.

Pump certainly exists and sustains on the east coast but I don't think NPPL DC pump division is ever going to match the numbers that HB gets.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
THE Green Modster

CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
Speedball is also popular because some fields force feed it to rec players as the only field they can rec. play on. I know of two fields locally that are like that.

E
I'll concede to that point, speedball is easy paint sales. Just brings me back to finding a pump friendly place and supporting the hell out of it.
Quote:

Master Jar Jar
Old 06-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
THE Green Modster

CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Yeah, all good points, and I'm familiar with the pump speedball teams in the NE but I've also known of at least three pump tournaments over the last year that just didn't pan out due to lack of interest.

Pump certainly exists and sustains on the east coast but I don't think NPPL DC pump division is ever going to match the numbers that HB gets.
Forgive my ignorance here but is HB a bigger event all the way around?

I've just started dabbling in pump speedball in the past year or so. I've really enjoyed teh Gravity League events I've gone to and continue to go to them. I'm not sure that I will ever take it serious enough to go to a national event though.
Quote:

Master Jar Jar
Old 06-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Quote:

Dude.. historically though (at least the last 10 years) the big tournies have always been in Cali.. where the weather is nicer than the stormy ATLANTIC coast. FOlks there can play year round without adjusting the velocity on their gun (okay that's not completely true). Nice weather .. chicks in bikinis... that's all going to be a big draw for a tourney host.

You think hosting in Duluth, MN would get the same draw?

E
Old 06-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Pump play in Western PA is very lacking; there are never more than a couple pumpers at the local fields and scenario events.

For sale:
16" DW Fibur-X with AC and Ion backs
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Deplorable...

Quote:
we had a good long discussion about the cali pump guys not wanting/needing to ever leave cali for a pump event.
i sort of agree with them, hence the 19 or so teams at HB and only 11 or so teams in chicago.

i'd like to get 2 teams for DC, as well...

past & present https://www.freewebs.com/non-inflammable/

my feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Barrack Hussein Obama: The biggest fraud ever perpetrated upon the American people

freedom is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone